Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition | Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados EditionBeer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ZombiesAteMyDog on 04-26-2012

2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.71/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured from a tiny little bottle into a snifter.

A - Pretty disgusting looking, to be honest. The pour was really viscous and sludgy, like when I wash out my French press after I brew coffee in the morning. It is a very dark brown that leaves a heavy, gritty residue over the entire glass. The appearance makes it impossible to forget that you are drinking civet dookie.

S - Despite the off-putting appearance, the smell is pretty nice. Definite coffee and roasted malts, with a significant barrel presence as well. Some oaky vanilla. It is definitely apparent that a Calvados barrel was used here -- acidic twang in the nose that is a little harsh.

T - Nice notes of chocolate and roasted coffee, with the barrel adding a lot of complexity over the top. However, I find it hard to hold this in my mouth long enough to get a full impression due to the extremely offputting mouthfeel.

M - Clumpy like pudding or greek yogurt. Almost like a gritty milkshake. I almost gagged, this is frankly pretty gross.

O - I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle, but unfortunately this might be a drainpour. Sort of tastes like beer, but doesn't look or feel like beer. Really disappointed here.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tiny 8oz bottle or so into a matching Mikkeller teku glass. Thanks go to baconsausage for hooking me up with this brew during a trade we did sometime ago. The brew pours black with a finger of mocha head that slowly fades leaving some spots of lacing effect on the glass. For being 10+ % the cap holds fairly well. A swirl revives a finger of dark brown cap back to the surface and paints the glassware with stringy fingers of lace.

The aroma has some fairly sharp alcohol notes that are caught between solvent and fusel in nature. There is some fruity alcohol esters but I cant really claim that they smell at all like the expected apple brandy. In fact, it smells quite similar to the cognac version but maybe with a greater focus on solvent booze if memory serves me correct. There is a faint amount of roast and earthy quality that is faintly reminiscent of the kopi luwak character I enjoy so much in the base beer. At times, it is a bit ashy with hints of tobacco and leather. As it warms up, the alcohol character gets increasingly more spirit accented but in a very neutral way which is strange.

The taste is very ashy and bitter with roast elements like charred grain. Tobacco and hints of earthiness are present but all flavors are a bit trumped by the huge solvent/fusel alcohol inclusion. The booziness is borderline numbing to the palate and hits with a presence much more focused and stronger than you would expect for 10%. The aftertaste has a mild fruited alcohol ester.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew. It is dry and ashy with seemingly a thin feel possibly from the big alcohol impact. At times though, it has a bit of cling and oily feel to the mouth. I honestly dont know what to think of this. I love the base beer but this is an entirely different monster with an excessive alcohol presence that doesn't really show itself as barrel aged but more like it has been reinforced by the spirit itself instead of the barrel treatment. I wanted to like this... I really did. Color me disappointed and pissed at the ridiculous cost these Mikkeller beers go for.

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

8oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Frothy dark mocha head with decent retention. Beer is thick, viscous black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with ok stick. Huge legs. Solid.

Nose is big and bold. Liquorice, barrel, roasted malt, and chocolate. Strong booziness. The usually apparent kopi coffee is distinctly missing. Not as good as the original.

Opens chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and fudge. Booziness in the middle with a lot of sweetness towards the end. Hot. Molasses. Finishes coffee and cocoa. Good but the barrel presence is too strong that it covers a lot of the complexity here.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Thick and oily in the mouth and hot going down. Messy finish with a long, sticky aftertaste. Great for the style.

This is a solid beer but it goes to show that not everything improves in barrels. A lot of the kopi presence in the original is covered here and the complexity is really lost in the booziness. Still a decent offering, but not close to the non-BA version.

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up a few months back. Have to say I was a smidge irked at the cost per ounce factor with this one. I'm trying to remember how many Mikkeler beers I've actually purchased---not many.

Pours standard stout ish with a mocha head. Nice coating of the glass.

Smell is really....unique. Some worchestshire/soy, some coffee, raisin, and oak barrel. Not sure what I think of this.

Hmmm. Unfortunately I'm getting more of the savory aspects off the aroma--not a good thing. Could I have an off bottle? Can't imagine this being a mainstream flavor. Some coffee sneaking in towards the end but the sweetness for the barrel im not getting.

A little carbonation forward for my preference.

Meh, I'm not loving this. I feel like I could have been a little more harsh as well, just not my thing.

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

GIven the tiny bottle, I figured why not use a Utopias glass for this one.

Pours impressively black and opaque, I only see a twinkle of light when pouring, once in the glass this is a black hole of epic darkness. A nice tan cream cap barely forms at the top.

Apples from the brandy barrels gives this one a sour note at the top followed by coffee and chocolate, roasted malt, and brandy sugars.

Dark chocolate, dark dry fruits, coffee, brandy, sour notes from apples. This beer could so easily turn to the sweet and sugary side with calvdos barrels used, but thankfully that is not the case. While plenty of sugar is in here the roasted and bitter elements from the malt, coffee, and chocolate all keep things in line.

Very warm, very hot, and very dry. This isn't creamy nor overly heavy. it's an interesting mix of all these elements.

I thought the normal brandy version of this was great, so great I bought two bottles has these comically high and absurd prices. I like the beer but can't imagine ever coming back for another bottle at 118.59 per normal six pack.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.5oz bottle purchased for $13. Ouch. Poured into snifter.

A: Pours deep black with a finger and a half of dark espresso colored head that slowly faded into a thin but well retained film.
S: Sweet notes of apple brandy mix well with rich notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Not especially complex, but those three flavors are easy to pick out.
T: The apple brandy dominates with flavors apple skins and booze, followed by notes of wood, kopi luwak and cocoa powder. I’m not getting as much cat shit coffee as I would have liked, but it is there. Having drank the real stuff from the source and loved it, I should be able to pick it out easily. Fruity.
M: The mouth is strange with this one. The brandy has really dried out the mouthfeel. I don’t think I’ve drank a stout that feels like this on my palate. It’s not necessarily bad, but it is noticeably different. Carbonation is well enough, and the body is just shy of full.
O: Good, but not an improvement on the original. At more than a dollar an ounce, I’m disappointed by this one, especially since the normal weasel was so great. I hope the cognac is better.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition from Mikkeller ApS