Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition | Mikkeller ApS

YOUR RATING = None |
Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados EditionBeer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ZombiesAteMyDog on 04-26-2012

Reviews: 71 | Ratings: 205
2.71/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured from a tiny little bottle into a snifter.

A - Pretty disgusting looking, to be honest. The pour was really viscous and sludgy, like when I wash out my French press after I brew coffee in the morning. It is a very dark brown that leaves a heavy, gritty residue over the entire glass. The appearance makes it impossible to forget that you are drinking civet dookie.

S - Despite the off-putting appearance, the smell is pretty nice. Definite coffee and roasted malts, with a significant barrel presence as well. Some oaky vanilla. It is definitely apparent that a Calvados barrel was used here -- acidic twang in the nose that is a little harsh.

T - Nice notes of chocolate and roasted coffee, with the barrel adding a lot of complexity over the top. However, I find it hard to hold this in my mouth long enough to get a full impression due to the extremely offputting mouthfeel.

M - Clumpy like pudding or greek yogurt. Almost like a gritty milkshake. I almost gagged, this is frankly pretty gross.

O - I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle, but unfortunately this might be a drainpour. Sort of tastes like beer, but doesn't look or feel like beer. Really disappointed here.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tiny 8oz bottle or so into a matching Mikkeller teku glass. Thanks go to baconsausage for hooking me up with this brew during a trade we did sometime ago. The brew pours black with a finger of mocha head that slowly fades leaving some spots of lacing effect on the glass. For being 10+ % the cap holds fairly well. A swirl revives a finger of dark brown cap back to the surface and paints the glassware with stringy fingers of lace.

The aroma has some fairly sharp alcohol notes that are caught between solvent and fusel in nature. There is some fruity alcohol esters but I cant really claim that they smell at all like the expected apple brandy. In fact, it smells quite similar to the cognac version but maybe with a greater focus on solvent booze if memory serves me correct. There is a faint amount of roast and earthy quality that is faintly reminiscent of the kopi luwak character I enjoy so much in the base beer. At times, it is a bit ashy with hints of tobacco and leather. As it warms up, the alcohol character gets increasingly more spirit accented but in a very neutral way which is strange.

The taste is very ashy and bitter with roast elements like charred grain. Tobacco and hints of earthiness are present but all flavors are a bit trumped by the huge solvent/fusel alcohol inclusion. The booziness is borderline numbing to the palate and hits with a presence much more focused and stronger than you would expect for 10%. The aftertaste has a mild fruited alcohol ester.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew. It is dry and ashy with seemingly a thin feel possibly from the big alcohol impact. At times though, it has a bit of cling and oily feel to the mouth. I honestly dont know what to think of this. I love the base beer but this is an entirely different monster with an excessive alcohol presence that doesn't really show itself as barrel aged but more like it has been reinforced by the spirit itself instead of the barrel treatment. I wanted to like this... I really did. Color me disappointed and pissed at the ridiculous cost these Mikkeller beers go for.

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

8oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Frothy dark mocha head with decent retention. Beer is thick, viscous black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with ok stick. Huge legs. Solid.

Nose is big and bold. Liquorice, barrel, roasted malt, and chocolate. Strong booziness. The usually apparent kopi coffee is distinctly missing. Not as good as the original.

Opens chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, and fudge. Booziness in the middle with a lot of sweetness towards the end. Hot. Molasses. Finishes coffee and cocoa. Good but the barrel presence is too strong that it covers a lot of the complexity here.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Thick and oily in the mouth and hot going down. Messy finish with a long, sticky aftertaste. Great for the style.

This is a solid beer but it goes to show that not everything improves in barrels. A lot of the kopi presence in the original is covered here and the complexity is really lost in the booziness. Still a decent offering, but not close to the non-BA version.

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up a few months back. Have to say I was a smidge irked at the cost per ounce factor with this one. I'm trying to remember how many Mikkeler beers I've actually purchased---not many.

Pours standard stout ish with a mocha head. Nice coating of the glass.

Smell is really....unique. Some worchestshire/soy, some coffee, raisin, and oak barrel. Not sure what I think of this.

Hmmm. Unfortunately I'm getting more of the savory aspects off the aroma--not a good thing. Could I have an off bottle? Can't imagine this being a mainstream flavor. Some coffee sneaking in towards the end but the sweetness for the barrel im not getting.

A little carbonation forward for my preference.

Meh, I'm not loving this. I feel like I could have been a little more harsh as well, just not my thing.

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

GIven the tiny bottle, I figured why not use a Utopias glass for this one.

Pours impressively black and opaque, I only see a twinkle of light when pouring, once in the glass this is a black hole of epic darkness. A nice tan cream cap barely forms at the top.

Apples from the brandy barrels gives this one a sour note at the top followed by coffee and chocolate, roasted malt, and brandy sugars.

Dark chocolate, dark dry fruits, coffee, brandy, sour notes from apples. This beer could so easily turn to the sweet and sugary side with calvdos barrels used, but thankfully that is not the case. While plenty of sugar is in here the roasted and bitter elements from the malt, coffee, and chocolate all keep things in line.

Very warm, very hot, and very dry. This isn't creamy nor overly heavy. it's an interesting mix of all these elements.

I thought the normal brandy version of this was great, so great I bought two bottles has these comically high and absurd prices. I like the beer but can't imagine ever coming back for another bottle at 118.59 per normal six pack.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.5oz bottle purchased for $13. Ouch. Poured into snifter.

A: Pours deep black with a finger and a half of dark espresso colored head that slowly faded into a thin but well retained film.
S: Sweet notes of apple brandy mix well with rich notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Not especially complex, but those three flavors are easy to pick out.
T: The apple brandy dominates with flavors apple skins and booze, followed by notes of wood, kopi luwak and cocoa powder. I’m not getting as much cat shit coffee as I would have liked, but it is there. Having drank the real stuff from the source and loved it, I should be able to pick it out easily. Fruity.
M: The mouth is strange with this one. The brandy has really dried out the mouthfeel. I don’t think I’ve drank a stout that feels like this on my palate. It’s not necessarily bad, but it is noticeably different. Carbonation is well enough, and the body is just shy of full.
O: Good, but not an improvement on the original. At more than a dollar an ounce, I’m disappointed by this one, especially since the normal weasel was so great. I hope the cognac is better.

3.81/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from wordemupg, 250ml bottle into a whiskey snifter - has side by side with the Cognac version.

Black with a dark brown head, that actually retains and leaves some semblance of lacing. Nose of dark fruit, fruit loop dust, light smoke, chocolate, sweeter than the cognac version and has a drier woody character. Taste has dark fruits, umami, roast chocolate, coffee and more barrel character. Not too different from the cognac on the whole, but has some more desirable character.

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured unto a chalice this deep dark beer surprised me. Upon opening, coffee was moderate to the nose yet very aromatic. Initial drink feel was surprisingly large and serious yet tempered quickly with nuisances of clove, lightly sweet cinnamon, anise and salt (more akin to a Fleur de sel) Really a very cherishible beel but for the serious minded as this is more a stout than otherwise noted and more for those interested in exploring the darker depths beer can offer.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

I'll buy and split with my brother I said, but alas, I cannot wait and must drink now:

Appearance: jet black with minimal tan head that quickly dissipates. some thin lacing sticking around.
Aroma: toasted wood, coffee, a little smoke in there. sweet too
Taste: as expected with oaky, vanilla, even some dark cherry sweetness. nice subtle smoke.
Mouthfeel: Medium- Medium Full, not many bubbles. Smokiness and some bitterness linger nicely.
Overall: my first Beer Geek Brunch beer, I'm very pleased and wish I had another one for Christmas brunch (with my bother!)

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A - pours black with a small chocolate head on top

S - apple brandy, dark chocolates, rich coffee all ascend out of the glass into my nose

T - sweet brandy upfront moves on to rich, dark chocolates. These move on to a bitter, rich coffee flavor and a touch of vanilla. Big and bold flavors in this one.

M - smooth, watery, and full

D - pretty good barrel-aged stout. This has very rich coffee flavors, almost too much to make the coffee distracting from the rest of the flavors present. Worth the price? It's a Mikkeller beer...

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Small bottle into a 25cl Duvel tulip. Thanks to Tony for sharing. Enjoyed along with the Cognac and Islay treatments as well.

A: Identical to the Cognac version, which is to say a pitch black body with a thin, fine head of light brown foam that settles into a ring. Pretty nice.

S: Very similar to the Cognac here as well, with coffee, spice, booze, and wood. Not much Calvados per se, but still good.

T: Ok, here's some fruitiness up front, with bitter and spicy coffee and roast filling in behind. Very spicy booze on the finish. A little harsh.

M: Soft, creamy, well-carbonated and full-bodied. Excellent.

O: I really enjoyed this one, but much like with the Cognac I didn't think the barrel added enough, but rather just took away from the amazing coffee dominance of the base beer. Still, it's a tasty, intense brew in its own right.

Cheers!

3.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Shared by Joey, thanks!

Black pour, medium brown head. Whiskey barrels and booze in the nose, balanced against the dark roasty malt backbone.

Roasty, boozy flavor profile with calvados whiskey at the forefront. Taste is extremely dark overall. Tons of booze; could really use time to mellow out.

A nice variation on the BGB base, though I do prefer the base beer.

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

250ml bottle.

Pours pitch black with a small tan head, looking just like all the other weasel variants I've tried.

Aroma is boozy and roasty, those are the words that come to mind. There is some charred black malts, espresso, but also some green apple sweetness and caramelized sugar.

The taste is even sweeter with the fruits still there but also an interesting butterscotch type sweetness. Coffee and barrel character dominate. Thick, roasty and dark, seriously boozy.

Mouthfeel is bitter, roasty and heavy on the barrel character.

Good stuff, though a bit harsh right now, though that's what I've come to expect from Mikkeller barrel beers.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Cute 8.5 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof; I loved the original and the other aged version of this beer - and Mikkel is me favourite brewer in the world. 10.9% confirmed.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured gently; I wanted to see it.

I regret that I have to serve this into improper glassware, but I'm celebrating a job offer and I want to fucking drink it.

Paired with white pizza.

A: Pours a quarter finger beautiful rich tan colour head of fantastic cream, excellent thickness, and pretty good retention considering the high ABV. Good lacing. A very vibrant head; quite appealing. Colour is a solid black. Nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Rich refined coffee, rich chocolate, cream, hints of roast, brilliantly subtle caramelization, nicely layered dark malts comprising the foundation, java, and some liquer - Bailey's comes to mind. It's very subtle and inviting, yet merely mild to moderate in strength. I'm excited to try it. No yeast comes through, and the alcohol that does emerge is pleasant rather than boozy or hot.

T: Rich exquisite coffee, some heat on the climax (likely from the alcohol), very nicely chosen dark malts, some tinges of roast, chocolate, cream, cream liquer, a milky note, subtle hints of caramelization, and some liquer. Apple is prominent throughout - mainly red apple, with some green in there (but no sourness or tang). The apple adds an interesting dimension, but I don't know that it's ideal per se for the balance. The apple strengthens on the finish, and seems to get the last laugh. I like it quite a bit. A full-bodied, tasty all around beer. Lots of diversity of flavour, yet somehow he makes it work. It's a masterclass in complexity. No yeast comes through.

Mf: Perfect thickness. Wonderful cream, but it's inconsistent (compare the finish to the body). Ideal carbonation. It's a bit too far on the smooth side of the smoothness-coarseness scale, but only a biteen. A bit too wet as well, especially for the style.

Dr: I think I prefer the other versions of this beer, but this is a fantastic (albeit pricey) offering from Mikkeller, and is a must for calvados fans. It met my high expectations, but didn't blow me away. A fantastic brew in the style. Hides its ABV magnificently. Very drinkable and enjoyable. I'd have it again with some mild age on it.

B+

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Bottle to brandy snifter.

A - Dark black. Half a finger of brown head formed and reduced to a ring around the glass.

S - A big mix of coffee and roasted malts in the nose. Not much of the barrel comes through at all.

T - Very boozy up front. Roasted malts and coffee are dominant with some lighter char and oak flavours present as well. A very light apple flavour in the background that you almost have to search for to find.

M - Full body. Light to modoerate carbonation.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

8.5oz bottle poured into Founders snifter.

A- Pours a completely opaque jet black with a very thin mocha brown head that recedes almost immediately. Decently carbonated and leaves very light faint layered lacing.

S- Light coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits of figs and light prunes, fairly light barrel presence with a hint of apple and oak from the calvados, light booze. Not overly aromatic, but smells pleasant.

T- Fudge, Chocolate, coffee, finishes with more of a thick creamy presence of fudge, dark fruits such as figs, molasses, and light oak. Aftertaste of dark fruits and fudge. The initially taste isn't anything spectacular, but I like how the fudge and dark fruits really come out on the finish.

M- At first feels a tiny bit watery but finishes fairly thick which goes well with the fudge flavor, lightly creamy, easy drinking, smooth.

O- This was a pretty nice beer, my only complaint is that it could have had a little bit more barrel presence but perhaps that's faded after being in my cellar for almost a year. I really liked the fudge-like presence and how the dark fruits really came out in this beer. Overall I really enjoyed this beer, however I'm not sure I'd pay $11 for only 8.5oz even if it's made of weasal shit coffee (not that I let that affect my review).

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Reviewing a beer before 9am? I must be in Vegas!

Appearance. Pours black with just a skim of bubbly, creamy coffee coulured head that rises up from the depths of a Bellagio wine glass.

Smell. Dark roasty malts, a brandy-conac boozyness, dark bitter chocolate and some cold espresso.

Taste. Dark bitter unsweetened chocolate, tannic wood, roasty dark malts and brandy.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, seems a bit thin for the taste coming through, low carbonation, some soothing warmth.

Overall. Nice big stout with a complementary amount of warm brandy boozyness.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 250 ml bottle into a snifter.

A-This beer pours heavy, like maple syrup. A normal pour produces no real head, just a ring of dark brown mist around the edge of the glass. Color is pure black.

S-This brew smells intensely of bitter coffee (my notes say "day-old espresso grounds"), with similarly intense whiffs of roasted, charred, smokey malts. There is a fair amount of booze heat, as well, and a little bit of sweet, dark fruit underneath the bitter scents.

T-The taste is less bitter than the smell, with roasted coffee flavors being more noticeable than the old espresso I found on the nose. There is still some smokey, acrid charred flavors and a pretty substantial boozy heat, too.

M-The feel is heavy with very little carbonation. Feel is well-matched to the style and flavor.

O-This is a big, intensely flavored beer. The flavors are complex and concentrated, and the mouthfeel is well-suited for sipping slowly. Fans of coffee would do well here. That being said, this brew was a touch on the bitter side for me, and I have found other coffee stouts that I enjoy more (especially when price is factored in).

3.97/5  rDev -5%

Beer is black with a small tan head. Head dissipates quickly.

Smell is heavy. Brandy is strong, quite boozy. Wood, some smoke. Molasses, apple, raisins, prune. A fair bit going on, fairly intense. Strong.

Flavour contains oatmeal, coffee, brandy, apple. raisin. Wood, vanilla in the aftertaste. Alcohol. Fairly hot.

Full bodied, low carbonation. Silky smooth. Alcohol burn. If not for the burn, a really nice feeling beer.

Overall, some really nice flavours but the booze is too strong. Tone it down and this would be great.

3.97/5  rDev -5%

A- Pours is jet black with a pretty thin tan head. Head becomes a nice little layer of foam that hangs onto the edges. Not a whole lot of retention.

S- Smells of coffee, roasted grain, dark chocolate, calvados, prunes, figs, and dates fill the nose.

T- Taste is a lot like the nose for sure. A bit hot from the alcohol. Quite smooth and a lot going on here as well.

M- Full in body and fairly low in carbonation.

O- A really nice brew and a sipper for sure. I liked about everything about this one except the price.

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%

After having the Cognac version a couple weeks ago, this was a must try.

This version pours a beautiful lifeless black, soft and velvety with no head at all, only a dark khaki lacing around the glass. The nose is very heavy on both sweet and bitter chocolates and very roasty. That said the coffee that is present in the original Brunch isn't there and the nose is a little sweet. I wouldn't say I get any Calvados or apple characteristics either, bit I could see the base beer being dominant. The flavors are a vast improvement. There is blended of blended and smooth chocolate, slight char, light roast, residual sugars, and a nice Calvados finish in the after taste and on the sides of your tongue. I would even say that it's more of a neutral Calvados spirit as opposed to a cider esque Calvados. It drinks on the higher side of medium in body and is incredibly smooth and coats your palate with chocolate. This beer has great flavor and is definitely worth a try, alongside the Cognac. I don't know which I preferred but it s very close.

Dark brown/black appearance. Smokey aroma with coffee and what I'm assuming is a bit of calvados barrel! Interesting and quite pleasant. Often smoke can be overpowering but this is nicely balanced with the rest of the aromas. The taste delivers what the aroma foreshadowed with the addition of some chocolate. Decent carbonation. Overall very good beer. Mikkeller is often hit or miss and this is definitely a hit. If the alcohol was slightly better hidden and the price was better (it was very expensive for such a little bottle!) I'd give it an 4.5 overall. Worth seeking out and trying if it can be found at a decent price.

250ml bottle; $11.99... pricey!

A solid 4 all around.

Danish: Denne imperial oatmeal stout er brygget med den vietnamesiske kaffesort Ca Pe Chon, som er en af verdens dyreste kaffesorter. Ca Pe Chon kaffen er lavet af afføringen fra væseldyr. De sydøstasiatiske dyr spiser kun de bedste og mest modne kaffebønner. Enzymer i deres fordøjelsessystem hjælper til at nedbryde bønnerne. Herefter indsamles afføringen som indeholder de hele bønner og bruges til væselkaffen. Kaffen har en kraftig smag og en endnu kraftigere aroma. Nogle mener endda, at kaffen øger sexlysten!

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

No idea when this was brewed, picked up the bottle at the local bottle shop. The label was in such good shape, it looked as if the bottle had been dragged behind a car on pavement for a mile or so.

Appearance: Opaque with a small, tan head. Yup, looks like a 2x Stout.

Smell: Rich chocolate, vanilla, coconut, wet cardboard(perhaps a bit oxidized). There's some underlying element from the Calvados barrel, yet I can't say I smell any apple brandy.

Taste: Bitterness from the coffee blends well with the chocolate up front. Towards the middle and into the end, you get hit with the Brandy barrel character. The finish is all barrel and coffee bitteress, with the chocolate bowing out just beforehand.

There's some heat on the back end, though I don't believe many would guess that it's about 11% blind, as it drinks smoothly.

Good carbonation with lots of little bubbles is present as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied for a 2x.

Overall: A big beer that drinks smoothly with a unique makeup, and comes out of the woods being very drinkable; can't complain.

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Got this one at Geers in Gent a while back.

From a 25cl bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Thicker, sludgy black pour yields a one finger, thicker looking, tan colored head with good retention. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp and ring. Thick black body with no carbonation evident. A ring remains with a few dots of wisp, but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Big calvados brandy on the nose for sure. Vanilla, woody notes, light cherry aromas from the barrels, then some burnt and charred malts, dark chocolate and light notes of molasses. Big alcohol notes and lots of barrel, though the burnt malts still manage to punch through. Good stuff.

TASTE: Lots of flavor, though quite boozy as well. Lots of brandy, vanilla and cedar wood up front, with a burst of burnt and charred malts, ash, and roasted chocolate through the middle into the swallow. More alcohol and brandy barrel on the finish, lots of bitter dark chocolate, burnt coffee beans, sweet molasses and charred flavors lingering on the palate, battling against the brandy barrel. Very flavorful and bold, though a touch too boozy still. The charred base beer amazingly holds up against the strong barrel aging.

PALATE: Medium body and slightly higher levels of carbonation. A little light perhaps, but creamy enough on the palate, goes down alright with a little scratch and finishes slightly sticky on the palate. Some heat lingers.

OVERALL: This is a challenging beer, as the flavors are very intense and there is so much barrel and massive base beer working together here. The flavors are big and bold, and the base beer is able to hold up against the barrel aging. I'm quite the fan of the Brunch series, though this one falls slightly short of some of the others due to a relatively light mouthfeel, though that is only comparatively speaking, and it still being slightly too boozy. In the end, this is a very good barrel aged imperial stout that I wouldn't hesitate to get again. Cheers!

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition from Mikkeller ApS