Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition | Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados EditionBeer Geek Brunch Weasel - Calvados Edition

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark
mikkeller.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by ZombiesAteMyDog on 04-26-2012

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the 8.5 ounce bottle into a snifter. Just realized this beer cost me about $2 an ounce. Yikes.

Pours thick and viscous from the bottle, but produces very little head. What head is there is more lace-like and light espresso in color. The liquid is pitch black and opaque.

As I poured the beer, I got some of the aroma, particularly an oakiness and sherry. From the glass, these still figure prominently. There are some sweet malt aromas, dark roasted malt, and dark chocolate present too, but I don't detect any coffee. There's a booziness on the nose that informs me I'm in for a big beer. Wait, a sec, there's a faint sweet coffee aroma.

Oh my, how did all that coffee go undetected on the nose? I get lots of coffee with my first taste, like a mellow cold-brew, followed by oak, sherry, and even some whisky notes. Despite the sherry and whisky, this beer actually drinks very smoothly, has a pleasant, creamy, viscous feel to it, and almost no heat. The finish provides a nice lingering baker's chocolate too, which I'm a sucker for.

I must say I like this beer quite a bit, but it's one-timer at the price I paid. For all its uniqueness, I'm still more inclined to find something similar at a fraction of the price.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked this bottle up at Hill Farmstead back in 2012. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a deep, dark black with a nice quarter inch mocha head that fades to leave a sudsy halo and light clouds. A few heavy chunks did flop in to the glass at the end though.

S - Aromas of dark, bitter chocolate. Light roasted nuttiness, faint coffee. Not getting much Calvados though.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, nice dark chocolate, faint roast malts, lingering espresso on the finish. Between that is a very nice apple brandy touch. Rich and roasty, similar to a cup of black coffee with some brandy added. Pleasant.

M - Mouthfeel is nice and thick, lightly carbonated. Not nearly as much booze as I thought there would have been.

O - Overall this was a fun, tasty stout. I wish the nose was better, but, all things considered this was a fun drink.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%