Invasion Farmhouse IPA | Mikkeller ApS

Style: American IPA

Added by HuskyinPDX on 08-04-2012

Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 218
2.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Based on the other reviews, my opinion differs so much that I feel compelled to review.

Pours golden orange with a gigantic white head. Decent looking but so carbonated that must pour with great care or you get nothing but head. (No comments).

Nose is very fruity mixed with funk and not well integrated. There is something "off" with the nose. I love brett in the nose and mouth. This is brett "gone wrong." The smell is almost olive/smoke and simply a bit off putting.

Mouthfeel is way over carbonated and thus way too fizzy and bubbly in the mouth, along with the beer being far out of balance and without integration of flavors, weird as they are. Mouthfeel is just also "off" and not at all inviting.

Flavors are simply also off putting. I'm a bit distressed at my reaction having read the other reviews. I almost feel like I've tasted a different beer. For some reason that I can't pinpoint, I, like others I think, "want" to like Mikkeller. Here, it's simply bad beer in my opinion. The flavor profile is like malt with olives with brett with stale grass with rotten vegetables. In fact, to me, that was the overwhelming flavor - sort of the beginning of rotten food.

Finish follows flavor and, all in all, I have no need to try this one again. I'm a fan of Mikkeller's crazy stuff and even if I don't like one the Mikkeller brews, I usually respect the effort.

Sorry, this one is just not good. JMO

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

750ml bottle purchased at HF (~2 weeks ago). Poured into Lawson's tulip. Brewed and bottled at Anchorage Brewing Co. IPA bottled with brett.

A- Cork easily pops off resulting in a little bit of a gusher. First thing that was noticeable was how foamy this beer was with a large yellowish brown head with very large bubbles that slowly receded as the bubbles popped leaving interesting spidery lacing. One of the foamiest beers I've encountered. Liquid is yellowish brown copper with a ton of consistently rising small carbonation bubbles- definitely very carbonated.

S- Lemony hops mixed with slightly funky brett and a tiny bit of plastic in the background. Slightly above average aroma strength. Brett and hops seem to clash a little bit.

T- Lemony hops followed by a weird plasticy watery brett taste that had a little bit of funk that clashed with the lemony hops. Finishes with a sweet malty taste that lingers with a light hop taste. Taste is definitely kind of off putting and kind of artificial tasting.

M- Very carbonated- way too much so, fairly light bodied.

O- I definitely did not really care for this beer at all. There was definitely a brett presence that contributed a little bit of a funky presence which clashed with the lemony hops. There was also a weird plastic presence to it that was not that pleasant and kind of ruined the beer for me. The only positive comment I have is that it was definitely better then their coffee IPA. Overall I would not recommend this beer and I'm definitely not going to try it again (as it is I had to pour the bottle out after half a glass).

3.09/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is beyond funky the brett is overbearingly bitter and perfumey, however that's what they were going for over the top Farmhouse IPA with brett. Pours a hazed apricot golden orange hue with a white light bubbly head which dissipates rather quickly. Speckled lacing left behind the label is pretty badass with a stack of hops and Mikkeller wallpaper tricoloration. The makeup of the beer is strikingly the similar to some of the other IPAs from Anchorage brewing, minus cumquats and peppercorns. Aroma tart tropical fruits with citric grapefruit peels, funky barnhouse notes, a bit of cat pee, and horse blanket this brew brings the funk. When gulped the floral and citrus perfume notes come to the forefront with a bitter bite that you likely won't forget until you brush your teeth the next day. This is similar in tartness to some of the probiotics on the market with multiple strains of good bacteria, yeast, etc. Maybe this beer will regulate your digestion and cure our IBS. It's hard to detect malt sweetness because of the brett layers, and bittering C-hops utilized this bottle is labeled batch #2 and dated November 2012 and it's been kept refrigerated since it's release. A bit of warming alcohol effects the palate and mid gut, bitter layers of everything mentioned does become cloying and carbonation is trying to carry you through it but fails to do so. Overall a miss beer for me big time, I'm sure there's a market of crazy beer folks out there that would care for this but I'm just not one.

3.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance is a very murky, burnt gold with a light tan head, big bubbled, leaving light, foamy lace. Quick to dissipate though, it leaves an unattractive, poorly brewed tea look.

Smell is almost all brett. It accentuates the hops, which are aggressively there, but very resinous, earthy. Any dry-hopping is gone, and its far from the west coast citrus flutters, which die a valiant death as it warms (but at least RSVP).

Taste is also heavy on the brett, bitter and dry. More sour grapefruit than pine tar from the hops. Brash.

Mouthfeel is oily and medium bodied.

Drinkability is not super high for me, this is disjointed, a character of the styles. Lacking the nuance of the ABC beers, as well as the fresh brightness of our finest IPAs...the lingering sour bitterness reminds me of an over-exuberant rookie barista trying to show off...

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bomber into Brooklyn snifter. November '12, Batch #2

A- Pale straw colored. Fairly clear. Head that quickly subsided.

S- Lots of brett on the nose as expected being a year old. Some leather, barnyard and hay as well. Some pineapple is in there too though. Not sure if that's from the brett of the hops.

T- Def something funky on the palette. I get a little bit of the fruit from the nose but I'm getting a flavor that tastes like band aides. There is certainly some bitterness on the backend from the hops. Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago.

M- Medium bodied

O- Not sure how much I like this though. I think I would have liked this 9-10 months ago when the hops played a larger role. It was worth trying though.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

8.0% confirmed. The style designation is questionable. Is this really an "American IPA"? 1pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz, California. Reviewed live. Bottle acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood earlier tonight. It's quite a sleek label compared to many of Mikkeller's other brews. I like it. Expectations are fairly high; I'm in the mood for a good Mikkeller brew but the style seems a bit weird. Brewed & Bottled at/by Anchorage brewing.

Served a bit warmer than refrigerator cold. Not paired with food. Consumed on a contented stomach.

All I did was unwind the wire, and the cork popped out nearly instantly with a loud accompanying sound. The cork had enough force it hit the ceiling. Sweet jesus that's overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger head of beige colour, poor thickness, no cream at all, and mediocre retention - though it's acceptable considering the ABV. Colour is a murky hazy orange-gold. No yeast particles are visible. There're ample carbonation bubbles. Non-opaque.

Sm: Citrusy and floral hops are dominant, with an underside of very biscuity yeast. It's also got a sticky oily piney hop character that makes me worry, though. I hope the flavour is more the former and less the latter. Some green apple comes through in a strictly non-cidery kind of way. Clean malts lend it some body. Caramel apple. An average strength aroma.

T/Mf: It's indeed a sort of farmhouse ale meets an IPA. Green/caramel apple bites through in both the first and third acts, coming through quite a bit on the finish and in the brief aftertaste. The yeast is a bit too restrained, but lends a biscuity undertone. Floral and maybe very light citrus notes occupy the early second act and the end of the first act. Structurally, it's rather imbalanced. The flavour is a bit better off. Clean malts form the unassuming foundation, but there's just not enough body to it. It comes off thin and underwhelming, unable to adequately support the flavours. Some interesting sugars are present up front, maybe some candi sugar - again joining with that crisp caramel apple for a pleasant effect. Luckily, the pine is restrained and it's hardly oily at all. It comes off a bit too preserved; it doesn't come off as a fresh brew. Indeed, it's a touch overcarbonated - but not as much as I feared. It's an interesting brew, but its complexity is a bit scattershot. It largely succeeds as a hybrid, but I don't know that it's better than the regular Invasion IPA. Mikkel might have been better off brewing an IPA and a Farmhouse Ale separately.

Dr/Ov: The price tag is rather steep for the quality (I paid around $12.00). As an experimental hybrid, I'd call it a prototypical success. It definitely needs honing, but I always like to see effective experimentation. It could use more of both a yeasty character and a hoppy complexity. Where's the biscuity spicy subtlety of a good farmhouse ale? In any case, it's worth trying. That said, I wouldn't get it again. I could down it all night and never notice the high ABV. It'd make a good session beer (for those of us who know how to drink, not ye panzy 4% I-have-work-tomorrow-types).

B-

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

This beer was delicious. Taste and smell do not match that of an IPA. That's why The lower numbers. If it were simply a farmhouse ale description, I'd rate higher. If you like farmhouse saisons you'll love this beer

3.47/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Mikkeller ApS - Invasion Farmhouse IPA

Look - Pours hazy golden yellow with a good sized fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Some retention, no lacing that stays.

Smell - Pineapple with spice, sweet and a bit cloying and funky, some floral hops are hard to pull out of the sweet. Was not sure what to think at this point but I try to keep an open mind.

Taste - Sour and farmhouse typical, brett then rages in a strange sweet tingly numbing like cough syrup and then floral/grassy bitter/pine pitch or sap hops.

Mouthfeel - Rests pine pitch hop bitter and fades quite quickly, I liked this part. Lightly warming but not overly boozy. Dry and decent drinkability.

Overall - Not one of my personal favorites, but unique to say the least. Super brett punch, a bit extreme, would not recommend unless you want tart and sour, some would absolutely love this brew, I am not one of them.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Burley Oak snifter (Batch #2 NOV/12)

A: Opaque blonde hay color.

S: Lots of farmhouse, funk and pine. The brett complicates the notes a lot. Light grapefruit.

T: I might have preferred the fresh brett-less version. It is a bit watery towards the end. This was probably much better a year ago. Lots of farmhouse and yeasty funkness. Faintly tart with an old hop pine taste. Not too much to my liking. I wish it was either a lot hoppier or more bitter/tart.

M: Bubbly but overall pretty smooth.

O: I wish there was a bigger body with bolder flavors here. It was all kind of muted. However, I thought with the Brett, that the hops might last longer (silly), but it's not like I had been aging it. I only got it like a month ago.

3.61/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: This nontypical IPA pours a pale orange color that is so cloudy that I can’t see through it and is topped with ½” of white head that hangs around.
Smell: Hops dominate the aroma at first but the funk comes around near the end of the aroma. What an intriguing beer
Taste: The taste is rather odd with the combo of hops and Brett yeast and that is the exact way it tastes just kind of hard to get use to.
Mouthfeel: This is a medium bodied IPA that has a clean finish even with the Brett.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large frothy 3 finger off white head with excellent retention and lacing on a murky golden copper body. Aroma is very fruity with mostly banana and pineapple. Also has light Belgian yeast and clove for herbal presence. Flavor is very different from the aroma. Caught off guard initially by acidic tartness, Belgian yeast funk, some green apple, melon and breads. Finish is metallic, grassy and herbal. Medium body and high carbonation. Pretty unique and complex. Not sure if I would want this one again but it's worth trying. A little too herbal and tangy for what I want to make this one more drinkable for me.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

There is a new breed of Saison style IPAs out there that are similar to this one , and to many it is a taste sensation utilizing brett. I sensed that this $12 bomber was one that should be shared rather than consumed alone, and my instincts were correct.

The nose is very different, hoppy but with an indescribable funk about it. Nothing special about the pour or the lacing, but when you taste this tangy brew, you are either going to enjoy it or find the tartness overbearing. Reminds me of the bitterness that many seek in a Belgian style ale, but I personally didn't find it all that appealing. At one point it tasted like I was drinking carbonated olive oil, and I found it challenging making it through a full glass.

Worth a try? If you wish to explore IPAs made with brett, this may be a good choice for you, but once was the charm for me. I wouldn't seek this overpriced bomber out again: the raging tartness and acidity level are not qualities I appreciate in a beer but my hop head friend liked it a lot.

3.76/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into good nature snifter. Batch #2 nov. 2012. Love the simplicity of the bottle art. Gotta love what these guys do with the appearance of the bottle.

A: a hazy, slightly sunburst gold color. Visible amounts of carbonation with a lacy single finger head.

S: very bretty smell. Barnyard and hops mixed together. a slight cheesey smell, I'm guessing also coming from the brett in this one. Hops linger in the background, but nothing to resiny coming off in the nose.

T: sharp, tart and bitter brettanomyces hits you upfront, with a lingering medicinal flavor resting on the front of the tounge. Not as much hops coming through as I imagined I would get, that brett just overpowers everything in this beer. Slight juicy, citrusy notes. Not very boozy at all. In fact, I completely forgot it was 8% until I was nearly finished with the glass.

M: nothing to write home about here. Almost medium bodied beer with a nice balence of carbonation. Pretty refreshing.

O: definitely worth a try, but wasnt hugely impressed with this one. Will definitely look into more of mikkiller's stuff as I've heard good things. A tasty beer for sure, worth picking up if you see it.

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip

A- A hazy golden color with a three finger white head.

S- Some funk, some wet grass, earthy hops, some lemon, floral, some spice.

T- Funky, tart lemons, earthy, some spice, touch of wet grass, fairly hoppy, nice balance.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A good blend of a farmhouse ale and an IPA. Glad I have it a try, but don't see myself buying it again due to price.

3.82/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a corked 750mL bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass. No visible date.

A: Huge head erupts rather soon, churns and fizzes, then finally subsides. The beer is almost transparent, hazy brown-gold, and effervescent. After a time, head slowly rises from the bottle, and I have to pour some more.

S: It smells deliciously fruity with a hefty dose of barnyard funk.

T: Oh. Oh my. I'm not quite sure what's going on here. InCREDibly spritzy, fizzy rather carbonated. The funk comes through strong, with an acidic tartness that's not entirely pleasant. There is a soft, tropical fruitiness that is overshadowed by vinegary (olive juice?) Brett. The aftertaste is lemon peel and barnyard.

M: The extreme fizz dulls with time, which is a good thing, I think.

O: I think this bottle is infected...but I'm still kind of enjoying it. Invasion IPA is maybe the best IPA I've ever tasted, and the additional of Brettanomyces does not improve the beer. That said, it's not a

EDIT: After I poured the bottom of the bottle and got all the yeast in here, the beer turned an ugly mud-yellow, completely opaque. However, it tastes MUCH better, becoming much fruitier and more like an IPA. Bumped the T from 3.5 to 4 and the O from 3 to 3.5.

3.84/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml bottle $15. I picked this up based off of the collaboration with Anchorage. I was hoping it would be like Bitter Monk and it was not but it was still very interesting. I normally never rate the appearance of a beer less than 4.0 but this one just looked weird, extremely murky and yellow-white. Brackish looking, mucky. Aroma was almost all brett, super lemons and a touch of hay, very interesting. Flavor was very bitter and super lemony. This actually reminded me of Saison Brett due to the lemon aspect. Overall this was very interesting but not something I'd ever need a second glass of.

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a very bright golden color. Very witish. The head is soapy and settles into a sparse cap.

The aroma is hoppy fo sure. Nice mix of fresh floral and grassy hop. Good citrus fruit and herbal note. There is some tartness and lemon from the yeast. Unfortunately resembles cat pee. It's odd but once I figured it out its not so bad.

The flavor is tart and crisp. Light sour funk mixes well with a spicy Belgian yeast. Fresh grassy hop brings the IPA to the table. Definitely a Belgian IPA with European hops. It's light and refreshing.

The feel is light with plenty of active carbonation. Tart and bitter on the palate but works well. Great beer before a meal.

A good tart Belgian IPA. The Brett shines and the others keep up. Unique.

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked this up tonight at the Boise COOP for $14... Cheaper than any other place in town.

Pours a very hazy pale straw golden... fizzy white head dies back quickly.. light spott lacing.

Whoa... the nose is plenty hoppy.. but very buggy.. brett is big lemony essence.. grassy and some barnyard... "Farmhouse" for sure.. piney hops grow with warmth so does the brett.

Dry and dusty brett is the big player here... citrus and spicy notes play well.. green apple skin tartness... a heavy pine hoppiness is the finish almost like pine branches. Dry brett finish just lingers forever.

Very interesting.. huge carbonation and the expected body... but I doubt I will buy this again.. "one and done"... glad I got the chance, but the quality just did not make me think I want another big purchase.

3.5/3.75/4/4/4

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is hazy light pale yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down and consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Light to moderate aromas of funky sourness and floral and citrusy hops are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has sourness from the brett along with flavors of grapefruit citrus and a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be quite drinkable and having a remarkable and interesting balance between bitterness and sourness.

Note: Batch #2, November 2012

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml corked bottle. Cork comes out with a bang. Pours a somewhat hazy straw/orange with billowing clouds of foamy white head and intricate lacing on the sides of the glass. Very vigorous carbonation.

The nose consists of notes of citrus, pepper, mango, tart green apple, and the signature barnyard funk from brett.

Taste consists of citrus hops and tart fruit flavors up front. Has a spicy background--peppery perhaps the best way to describe it. Transitions to a Belgian famhouse ale with a sour/brett yeast finish.

Mouthfeel is very lively. Cuts through any food you may be eating. Really awakens the taste buds.

Overall, an interesting and pleasing creation. Like merging an IPA with a saison. Reminds me of a somewhat tamer version of Anchorage Brewing's Bitter Monk, which is not a bad thing at all. Would like to try this one paired with various cheeses.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

750mL (batch 2, bottled November 2012) into a tulip. Pours a slightly hazy golden color w/ a big bright white fluffy head, sticky clumps of lace, lively carb.

Aroma is a combination of citrusy, piney hops underlain by a layer of Belgian yeast. Some floral and grassy notes, lemon zest. Smells earthy and clean.

Taste is sharply bitter, almost acidic. Pale malt is neutral, but there's conflict between the hops and the yeast as they fight for dominance. Hops are winning the battle, but overall there's discord and not harmony between elements. This works against the taste profile.

Mouthfeel is soft and medium-bodied with a sharp hoppy bite.

Overall a unique and interesting marriage of styles: American IPA, Belgian pale, saison. Ultimately though, it didn't completely work.

A. It has a straw yellow color and its cloudy, you kind of see through. Average white head and little lacing.
S. very bready scent.
T/M. Like the scent it is quite bready, wheaty. Tangy and a bit sour and tart. It has a slight hoppy taste.
O. It is perfect for a summer day, but definitely not worth the $19 price tag.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale champagne colour, almost opaque with the cloudiness. Head is white, a bit foamy, but a bit flat now. OK.

Smells Bretty and pleasant. Tart overall but a nice hit of battery malt. Vinous at times, some citrus, barnyard and thyme. Hugely appealing, in fact.

Taste is sweeter upfront. Vanilla notes that then get all that organic funk. Barnyard, hay, lemon thyme and pepper with a touch of champagne. Quite bitter on the finish, could use a touch more tartness, but otherwise very clean and refreshing beer.

OK body; inevitable pull from the yeast but pads itself well, mostly.

Not perfect, and has some slightly overblown flavours but it's a nice, funky beer that serves as a great refresher.

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened on 8.3.12.
Brewed at Anchorage Brewing.
Labeled a Farmhouse IPA

A - Pours a cloudy medium orange with a explosive light-tan head that fades slowly.

S - Sweet pine and citrus. Very Nice.

T - Farmhouse funk, bitter pine hops, dank orange.

D - Tons of carbonation with a light to medium body. Nice funky finish.

O - A huge pop opening the bottle. Funky ipa, true the the Anchorage brewing style.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours out pumpkin orange with a nice hazy glow. Starts with a thick, eggshell white head. Small splotches of lace get left behind.

The smell starts with funk and heavy citrus. A little bit of apple and grain follow.

There is a huge punch of grapefruit and lemon to start off the taste. Brett funk and pale malts smooth it out around the middle, with a slight mineral and citrus finish. Goes down smooth with a medium body. A little heavy on the carbonation, but Brett will do that.

Awesome farmhouse IPA! Aggressive, but with style. Very glad I grabbed this one.

Invasion Farmhouse IPA from Mikkeller ApS