Drink'in The Sun 12 | Mikkeller ApS

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by GONZALOYANNA on 08-05-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

From notes. Pours a hazy orange with a big foamy white head. Tons of lacing. There are clumps of bubbles sticking all over the glass. It really doesn't smell like much. I was expecting the aroma to be the standout strength of the beer and wouldn't be surprised if it was with a pint poured from a fresh keg. However, from this bottle that has traveled unknown miles, I'm just getting a light citric hoppy flavor. It's nice and a big step up from any other beer that I've had in this style or under 3% abv, much less 2%. The taste is a very refreshing, mildly tart hoppiness on top of pale fresh barley. It sort of tastes like lemon skins mixed into sparkling water. The malt mostly provides body. It's a rather dry beer. Mouthfeel is creamy and full. This is not an easy beer to rate, and it certainly benefits from style comparison. However, that doesn't mean that I don't like the beer. It's quite good, really.

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, California. Acquired at a nearby beer store for an appalling $5.99. Since Mikkeller is my all-time favourite brewery and I'm on a mission to review every beer Mikkel puts out, I broke down and bought it - even though I hated last year's release. Hopefully this one is better. Reviewed live. 1.9% ABV confirmed. Note that the label reads "Drink'in the Sun 12"; this is definitely a distinct beer from other similarly titled listings on the site. We're not just noting that this is the 2012 release of "drink'in the Sun"; that beer is 2.4% ABV by all accounts.

Imported by the Shelton Bastards. No wonder it's so pricey.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The goal of this beer seems pretty clear by the title: this is meant to be a refreshing "American Style Wheat Ale" you could drink on a lazy summer day. I'll factor this in to my review.

Yields a satisfying "ksh" upon opening. No problems with liquid surging out or anything of that nature.

A: Pours entirely head. I'm talking the entire glass. Khaki colour, beautiful thick rolling cream, excellent thickness, and certainly no problem with retention; it'll probably hold for about six minutes. As the head slowly recedes (from the bottom, I mean...), I glimpse the body: it's pale yellow in colour, surprisingly vibrant, and transparent. Translucent as well. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty good. It's somewhat unique, in any case.

Sm: Crystal malt, wheat, pale malts, minimal floral hops, maybe some lemon zest. An average strength aroma. Pleasant and appealing, but simple.

T: Very full bodied wheat build, but it runs a bit thin in the third act and on the finish. Overly hopped; too much floral character is out of balance with the very limited malt bill. I get a bit of lemon zing on the climax, a nice touch. It's surprisingly subtle for the style (if we're calling it a "low alcohol beer", which seems more an arbitrary characteristic than a style per se) and I wouldn't call it unrefreshing. Certainly no alcohol comes through. And no yeast either. I will say that it's bland and imbalanced.

Mf: Off. Wet throughout, but with alternatingly smoothness and coarseness that lacks motivation. It's also a bit unnatural in its slick quality. I don't care for the mouthfeel at all.

Dr: It's just so pedestrian. If it wasn't so low alcohol, I wouldn't be impressed with its flavour. But even as a surprisingly flavourful low alcohol beer, it isn't an ultimate success: I wouldn't want to drink lots of this for the taste. In that respect, it falls short of its goal. In any case, it's much better than I remember last year's release being. Still, it's quite overpriced. I wouldn't get this again, but if Mikkel brews a 13 next year, I'll be the sucker who buys it. A noble attempt from Mikkeller, and an interesting experiment, but ultimately a failure

C

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Wow, 1.9%? The last beer I had that was this low was a cheap, watery NA.

Pours a cloudy amber-gold with a decent head into my glass. For something that's low in alcohol, you wouldn't know it.

Hops and buttery (?) wheat notes greet the nose. Again, unless you've had a lot of NA beers, you would not be able to tell.

Crisp, refreshing and surprisingly full of flavor. The bread hits you hard, which is probably the only "negative" (because really, there aren't many) about this beer.

Lingering butteriness is a bit of a buzzkill. Otherwise, not bad at all.

For a low alcohol beer, I gotta rate this well because if you've had the style, it's mostly sweet, carbonated grain-water and this makes an attempt to rise above.

3.44/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle. ½ pt Tumbler glass. Amber color & foggy appearance. White, creamy froth leaves lacing on sides. Thick & firm lsting crown. Intense floral & grassy aromas with citric touc & piney hues. Sharp bitterness & spicy notes. Medium body. Moderate to high carbonation. Oily texture. Dry bitter finish & resins on the aftertaste. Awesome low ABV.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last