Love Belgian Beer?

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark | website

Style: American Stout

Collaboration with The Aviary.

Added by MasterSki on 10-15-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 8
1.72/5  rDev -51.7%

I picked this up on a whim when I saw that it was a Mikkeller collaboration with world renown chef Grant Achatz (Alinea, Next) for his bar, The Avairy.

A: It's a nice looking beer, and that's about it. Motor oil pour with a nice bit of head, and good retention on the lacing.

S: The smell was all cigarette butts mixed with truffle.

T: I really couldn't taste the truffle much. It's there, just hiding behind the smoked malts. The smokiness of this beer is entirely overdone to the point where it tastes like someone put out a cigarette butt into your very average, completely unmemorable stout. Let's just say that I almost spit out the first sip, and then tried a few more before pouring the rest down the drain.

M: Medium bodied. Really I couldn't stand to have the beer in my mouth long enough to judge the mouthfeel.

O: Sorry this one is a drain pour.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle for $5.99(!) at Binny's Lakeview. This may be the cheapest Mikkeller beer I've ever seen, which is weird as apparently this contains black truffles. Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip.

A - Tan foam settles to a thin collar, wisps, and spotty lacing. Near-black body with some mild brownish transparency at the edges of the glass.

S - Extremely roasty - it's got that signature Mikkeller flavor profile to it. Baker's chocolate, caramel, and molasses flavors help balance out the char and roast. Smell's a lot bigger than the listed 6.6%. I don't get much black truffle - there's a nebulous savory flavor as this warms up, but I don't think I'd have figured it out.

T - The taste is pretty similar, with char and roast dominating and a bit of baker's chocolate to keep things from getting oppressive. Again, blind I don't think I'd have guessed truffle but I suppose there may be a hint of that flavor. Or it could be the placebo effect. Who knows?

M - Medium body, smooth texture, pleasant carbonation, and a mildly roasty and largely clean finish. No obvious alcohol here.

D - There's nothing wrong with this beer, but I was expecting more black truffle character. I know this was only $5.99, but I'd have gladly paid more if they'd used more truffles (I know they are pricey). I'd recommend letting this approach room temperature if you're gung-ho about seeing how much truffle you can perceive. Otherwise, this is just a solidly made Scandinavian stout.

The Forager from Mikkeller ApS
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.