Orange Yuzu Glad I Said Porter | Mikkeller ApS

Liked:
3.89/5
Alströms:

4.93/5  rDev +26.7%

Had it twice, first time was a bottle share from the bro in law and it was so good that I had him buy one just for my wife and I. There are few beers I crave and this is one of them.
The smell is seducing. The texture is light and silky. The flavor is a slight citrus to accompany a solid porter.

4.69/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rewlation! Porter with orange? :) it is not havy.

4.63/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +18%

Black with a beige head.

Roasty and toasty with a real subtle fruit scent--possibly the best smelling porter I've had.

Matches the nose for roasted malt, not shy at all and has a smoke sort of edge to it--I'd love to know the grain bill. The orange's apparent, and it's exactly what I wanted when I grabbed this bottle. Not chocolatey to me, it's tangy and just weird enough. Low ABV means I can see this one through without being tanked. What sucks is I grabbed the last bottle.

A big, hearty robust porter that hits the spot.

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank at Café Académico, Coimbra.

A: The body is pitch black. The head looks really great with a brown colored foam, one finger thick. Lots of lacing.
S: The aroma is filled with coffee, roasted malts and just a slight hint of alcohol. Simply put, it's amazing.
T: Know the infinite symbol or the moebius stripe? The taste on this beer resembles that. There's sweet tones, coming from the malts, then less sweet tones and a bit more bitter, but veeeeery soft - coffee, then there's a bit of bitterness - citrus, but then again, citrus brings a bit of sweetness to the beer. This complexity on the taste is so interesting.
M: The mouthfeel is very fluffy with high density. The amount of carbonation is way beyond perfection. It's spot on.
O: I don't know what to say. Maybe I have a thing for stouts/porters from Mikkeller.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle (1 pint 9.4 fl oz) with no apparent bottled on date present. Orange foil around the cap. Acquired this bottle from a local beer store for $15.99. It was the only time I've ever seen this beer available in my area, and it was the only bottle they had.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours four giant fingers of creamy pillowy mocha colored fluff on top of a rich dark opaque black-brown body. Beautiful rings of lace.

S - Smells phenomenal. At first, chocolate and bitter coffee bean roast is apparent, and as it sits, mouthwatering tart citrus orange & yuzu aromas come out. This smells how I wish Pipeworks Orange Truffle Abduction had smelled.

T - Taste follows the nose perfectly: dark chocolate, bitter coffee bean roast, some mineral water, and some tartness from the yuzu & orange. The orange and yuzu add just enough sour citric to the mix without being distracting.

M - Feel is of some bitter roast and light citrus on the palate.

Overall, I thought it was fantastic. Perfectly blended exotic yuzu fruit and orange with the classic elements of a nice porter. Well done, Mikkeller. I can definitely say I would have this again if it was more readily available to me. Highly recommended.

Mikkeller Orange Yuzu Glad I Said Porter ---4.5/5

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quick notes

Appearance - Black/deep brown. Frothy, sticky khaki head that leaves great lacing.

Aroma - Chocolate covered oranges. Slight grapefruit tartness.

Taste - similar to nose with a hint of mineral, and slight nuttiness.

Mouthfeel - Would like a bit more carbonation, but the head would never stop. It's silky and creamy. Very well done.

Overall - Surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I've have a few Mikkeller beers that underwhelmed recently. Will look for this again!

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at When Pigs Fly. Served in a snifter, the beer was a dark brown color with a small tan head. There was a good deal of lace.

Nice aroma of chocolate, coffee, and citrus.

The taste improved on the aroma. Milk chocolate, coffee, and molasses up front, leading to orange zest, then a bit of cocoa late. Nice.

A sweet beer, very enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an unbranded stemmed ale glass

Pours a very dark mocha brown capped with a two finger fluffy light beige head. Big bakers chocolate, citrus peel, roasted grain and malt on the nose. Opens with dark chocolate joined by roasted barley and roasted malt and yuzu juice. Light espresso notes appear transisitoning into the finish dominated by bittering hops combined with mandarin orange and tart yuzu peel. Light medium bodied, a touch of creaminess, but fairly slick. I really enjoyed this brew, very unique. The dark chocolate notes combine perfectly with the added orange and yuzu. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit commonly used in cooking. This brew paired perfectly with Japanese hiyashi rice.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A) A very dark brown and it was completely opaque. The head that was formed had a dark cola like color to it and dissipated rather quickly.

S) The nose was very nutty and warm with toasted malts. Under that there was a slight hint or citrus and a sweet toffee quality as well.

T) This beer was bold. It was extremely hearty yet not overwhelming. There is a heavy toasted note with undertones of chocolate. There is also a slight sweetness that comes in at the end along with a citrus note to finish.

MF) Light and bubbly. The beer did not leave a heavy feeling yet it coats your mouth nicely. There is a a velvety quality to it.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

$6.49 single 12oz bottle. This is something I knew I had to try after having the slightly disappointing Bim Bam Boom by Short's, which is also a chocolate porter -- with cayenne added. And we're off!

Appearance: Feckin' gorgeous, m8. Creamy looking head with tight bubbles and a ton of lacing. This beer is almost pitch black, but with significant red throughout the glass.

Smell: Orange. Yuzu. Stout. I mean what was I to expect other than this? To be fair, like most people (I figure), I've never had yuzu before. I suppose it just smells like, erm, an exotic orange. There's a tropical feel to it, but it smells orange-like. That's not helpful, I know.

Taste/feel: The porter base is above average: roasty malt, a little char, some coffee and chocolate ... very well done. The orange/yuzu provides a not-overpowering but most definitely there orange-y flavor and subtle tartness that blends well with the roast bitterness... never competing, and in pretty nice harmony. The feel is essentially perfect for a porter, in my opinion -- it's sightly creamy, but still on the thin (erm, DRINKABLE) side, with a hefty dose of carbonation. I can't ask for too much more from a porter, except in this case, very slightly less prickly carbonation would be ideal.

This guy's a fan. Take an excellent porter base and add just the right amount of orange (or yuzu? Both? I dunno...) and you've got a very nice tasting beer. At $6.49 a bottle, it's hard to see me revisiting this soon or often, but it's an experience worth having.

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch and a half tan had that sticked around for a long time. There's also a good amount of lacing. It's a great smelling brew, it smells like roasted malt, milk and bittersweet chocolate, oranges/orange peel, and some coffee. It tastes like roasted malt, nuts, milk and bittersweet chocolate, burnt/charred malt, slightly tart citrus/oranges, citrus peel and a bit of a mineral flavor. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy and slick. It's also smooth and easy to drink. I like this beer a lot, I should have bought another bottle. I'll have to grab one if I ever come across this again. It's pricey at $17.99 a bottle, but I liked this one a lot.

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque dark brown with brown, finely-bubbled head. A: Musty orange, pineapple, stale chocolate, vague hints of plum or fig, dark cherry, and dank bakery.
Each taste goes through an evolution. Bright citrus fades to semi-bitter dark chocolate eventually ending with some kind of wormwood or earthen bitterness. Above average carbonation helps elevate the drinkability in an otherwise rich and complex porter.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black. Slight tan smokey white head with no lasting legs.

Beautiful malty, orange and vanilla sweetness in the aroma. Loved the way this brew smells.

Flavors were exactly what the nose was only muted moreso than the smell. Still crisp and refreshing, earthy, malty orange flavor that was well defined but not as intense as I wanted.

Great carbonation, smooth mouth feel, and 100% drink ability. Great Porter.

Orange Yuzu Glad I Said Porter from Mikkeller ApS