Doppelbock | Old Harbor Brewery Steak & Lobster House

3.8/5
Alströms:

Reviews by battlekow:
2.86/5  rDev 0%

This falls under the "Taina" appellation, which isn't a specific beer, but the name given to Old Harbor's rotating seasonal offering; the server gave me no specific name other than "Double Bock".

This doppelbock is pretty uninspiring. Looks pretty good, a deep caramel color, but it's downhill from there. There's a vague sweet smell, but no real odor. Strong lager yeast taste. Some bananas. Heavy boozy flavor shows up as the beer warms. The bock sweetness transitions into an uncomfortably bitter toasted malt finish; there's also a hint of sourness hanging around in there. The chewy mouthfeel will keep you around to finish the pint you ordered, but I doubt you'll want another.

4.75/5  rDev 0%

Doppelbock
Old Harbor Brewery, Steak & Lobster House
Style: Doppelbock
ABV: 7.60 %

This offering was a standout in taste and enjoyment for me. It's offered as the seasonal and was listed as 8.6% abv as of 1/2010.
It was my favorite brew I had while in PR, even as compared to 12 or so new craft offerings thriving from a new craft movement creeping up on the island. I believe it is technically supposed to be listed as a Weizenbock, judging from my conversation with the brewer, Wolfgang.

Dark toffee brown in color with solid head and retention. Aromas and taste include a solid malt back bone, wheat yeast character of clove and spice (hint hint, WB06... confirmed). Medium body, and very much enjoyed. Cool to see a respectable brewpub showcasing WB06 yeast in a solid offering! This brew reminds me of a strong dark wheat ale with solid hefe yeast character and clove profile shining through.

Keep up the good work Wolfgang!
FYI - read my beerfly review for an up to date review of this place as of 1/2010. I think it is coming around nicely!

Doppelbock from Old Harbor Brewery Steak & Lobster House