Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Horned Frog Pale Ale | The Covey Restaurant & Brewery

3.92/5
Very Good

The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
Texas, United States
thecovey.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by assurbanipaul on 04-06-2006

Reviews by brewerdlux:
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

I should start by saying I am a "HOPHEAD" and this beer is as close to being an IPA without being one as any beer I have ever had.

Then aroma was very resiny and citric. Still some malt on the back to even out the hops.

The appearance is that of a typical Pale Ale and it was very clear. Nice quarter inch head on the ones I had and they stayed for the entire pint.

The tase is the defining factor for me with this beer. Subtle malty backbone and a very nice hop flavor. This beer had such a clear, clean hop flavor, I felt like I could almost pick the hops out of my teeth. Very resiny and grapefuity.

I personally think this is the best beer at The Covey and maybe one of the best Pale Ales I have had to this date.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Sampled on tap at The Covey on January 23, 2010. The beer pours a copper/orange color with a white head. The aroma is biscuity malt with some citrus hops. The flavor is similar with grassy and fruity hops as well as a nice malt backbone of British malts. You also get some light caramel malts. Thinner mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Reddish orange coloring with a decent amount of light brown head.

S- Has a very weak hoppy scent to it. Lacking in scent like most beers from this brewery.

T- Typical pale ale flavor, but not hoppy enough compared to most pale ale's.

M- Bitter, but still a pretty smooth beer as it is not as hoppy as other pale ale's.

D- Very drinkable beer, not too bitter.

Overall I enjoyed this beer, but it is not as bitter as I would expect a pale ale to be.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a bright clear copper with a nice frothy head. Aroma is light malt and hops. Light lacing left on the glass.

Taste is toasty malt and a fair amount of hops. Nutty, nice bitterness and fresh juicy hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium, clean, good balance, very fresh. Definitely one of their better standards.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear copper amber color with a short white head that fades into a moderate lace. Nose is floral and citrusy hops with a bit of maltiness in the background. Taste is lightly toasted malt and fruity hops with notes of pine and juicy grapefruit. Nicely doneĀ—I could easily go with this as a session brew.

Horned Frog Pale Ale from The Covey Restaurant & Brewery