Love Belgian Beer?

Added by assurbanipaul on 08-01-2006

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by Bagman007:
2.73/5  rDev -15%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Very dark reddish brown coloring with a little bit of head.

S- The alcohol is very prevalent in the scent. Also somewhat of a citrus scent as well.

T- Very strong taste of alcohol. The alcohol content is not very will hidden at all. Somewhat sweet as well.

M- Somewhat of a bitter, dry feel. Almost too dry.

D- Not that drinkable because of the high alcohol content and the fact that it is not well hidden.

Overall this is a very strong beer and I think that really detracts from it as it is not well hidden.

3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

Not much in the head department, although this is probably a result of pour (get it?) technique by the bartender. Nice dark reddish-brown.

Really pretty short on aroma, probably related to the head issue again. Some dark fruit/caramel/generally malty stuff going on. In the mouth, it's a solid malt-bomb, with all of the aromas I wanted to smell available for my perusal - sweetness all around, some dark fruit again, caramel, and a background of woody robustness. Very pleasant. Medium-full in the mouth, pleasant enough texture. Alcohol is noticeable but not aggressive. High ABV makes its presence known towards the end of the glass, and I don't know that I'd especially want to go beyond the two-serving limit on this one.

I have the problem of not knowing anything about the wee heavy style, so I can't really review this based on that. It wasn't far off from a strong doppelbock or similar malt-bomb, and I liked it pretty darn well paired with the happy-hour potstickers. If you're a stickler for authenticity, though, you may want to look elsewhere.

4.15/5  rDev +29.3%

Extra big thank you to Blake for thinking of me when he saw this. I can inspire my fellow man to do great things... it must be the beer talking. :P

Shared with a tiny handful at the MBAS meet(I drank most of it Blake, I swear).

Pours out an inky deep brown, with a bourbon-ish hue. A caked on inch of bubbling golden brown head settles any "what if's?" in my mind. No lace.

Big whiffs of raisins & chocolate toffee come off the top even as I pour. A hinting of mild smoke, that is more like pan fry then wood. Some teriyaki/soy sauce/Sam Adams Triple Bock qualities that aren't off-putting to me. Brandy-ish alcohol.

Anise, pecans, hickory, brown sugar, & again... raisins. Yeastiness that could be mistaken for something Belgian. Earthy. Finish is very mildly bittered, with traces of grain & honey.

Body was amply carbed, helping ease down the meaty body. Alcohol felt about right. It does not taste "hot".

I heard this set you back a few. I must of mentioned I like scotch ales. Thank you. :)

3.33/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a medium brown with an off-white head. Slightly murky to me, but it was late in the evening.

Not allot of aroma to me, though I could make out a little hint of earthy/peat tones. Slight malt aroma as well.

Mouthfeel was pretty good with this beer for the style. it was pretty filling.

I was not that impressed with the flavor of this beer and I am a big Wee Heavy fan. Seemed to have some estery flavors that just did not fit for me. Nice malty beer with allot of flavors melded together. A good beer, but just not right for the style in my opinion. Pricy also at $5.25 for a 12 oz. pour.

I would like to try this beer again in the fall and see if it aged any better.

2.62/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a dark caramel color with a thin head. Nose is light and dry, some sugary malt and a trace of berries.

Flavors are rich and malty sweet, pungent, almost syrupy. Dark caramel, some butterscotch, maybe some faint peat. I detect a little bit of sweet fruity esters, which I think is uncharacteristic for the style and detracts a bit. Some residual alcohol heat and slickness in the finish, along with some mild woody, whiskey element.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy, slick and slightly sticky on the lips. Aging since they opened (4 months), this beer might benefit from another 4-6 months to smooth it out and better meld the flavors together.

My first impression of this beer was not favorable. I still think this beer is too estery to be true to the wee heavy style, but the flavors have come together a little more than when it was first released, so I bumped my score up slightly.

Served in a smaller glass and for a higher price than the rest (because of the higher ABV, limit of 2, blah blah blah).

Scotch Ale from The Covey Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.