Purist Pale Ale | Appalachian Brewing Company

Appalachian Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
abcbrew.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Our pale ale is inspired by the classic English style pale ale with a blend of noble hops and a delicate malt attribute. This beer is well balanced by design and is for the enjoyment of the purist beer drinker

Added by psugrad98 on 07-22-2002

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The great bottle purge continues here in the kitchen of Chez Woody as I try to reduce the backlog of these confounded bottles that are getting in the way of The CANQuest (TM)! I have levied a self-imposed moratorium on buying too much more beer until I get caught up. Yes, there are some that I am not going to pass up, but beer merchants locally are mostly weeping.

From the bottle: "Notably fresh"; "Our fine lagers & ales are handcrafted in small batches & carefully nurtured to perfection. Please visit our really cool brewery!"; "Brewed with Barley, Hops, Yeast & Water".

Another mother-loving screw-cap! 8={} I keep getting fooled by them and I am not a fan, which only inspires me to conduct a really aggro pour. There wasn't much in the way of a cascade, but two fingers of dense ecru head quickly formed and evinced good retention. Color was a deep, rich amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity. I am NOT a Purist because that suggests a rigidity and an unwillingness to embrace innovation, but this simply looked like beer! Nose was full of hops, especially a grapefruit-citrus quality which once again begs the question of where does an APA end and an AIPA begin? They are calling this an APA, so be it! Mouthfeel was medium and I have to admit, the taste was not as intense as the nose, so aroma hops were definitely in play while bittering hops were toned down. I will buy that in an APA, so things are good for the purists out there. I was also getting a biscuit maltiness, which further muted the intensity of the hops and not in a bad way. Finish was semi-dry with a lingering citrus flavor. It was not as intense as an AIPA, but it would be sustaining for a self-avowed hophead, such as myself.

My original, on-tap review dtd 26 July 2005 with scores of 4.0; 4.0; 4.0; 3.5 and 4.0 follows:

This arrived with a medium head which was egg-shell white in color with lots of CO2 bubbles in evidence. It had a good malty nose underlain with hops. I experienced a medium mouthfeel witha mildly hoppy taste on the palate. The finish was a blend of malt sweet and hop bitter with the hops getting the upper hand at the extreme finish. This is a good APA and a good acndidate for a session beer.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

3.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Color is a slightly orange tinted gold with one finger of soapy white head, no lacing.
S - Very bready, mild floral notes, herbal ester hints. Slightly grassy
T - Just kinda basic, malt takes the form of toasted bread, light herbal and grassy hop bitterness, and thats about it. Very singular, though true to form.
M - Average, medium feel, a little chew to it.
O - A true English Pale, but nothing about this stands out. Though if I would recommend it to someone who has never tried the style.

Purist Pale Ale from Appalachian Brewing Company