Poor Man's Double IPA

AleWatcher from Illinois

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at FFF brewpub.

Mmmm.
Pours a golden color with a frothy white head... Nice chunky spots of lacing form on the borderlands of huge sheets of lace curtains. Respectable retention.

Smells giantly hoppy. West coast style for sure-- addict notes of grapefruit and pine. Virtually no malt. I like it like that!
Taste follows suit-- slight crackery malt with huge pine bitterness and grapefruit/citrus flavors. The bitterness lingers and loiters, giving my tastebuds the finger as they scorch the earth of my palate.

The body is medium full with solid carbonation-- prickly and dry feel.

Overall, I must point out that I am AT Three Floyds right now and I am drinking my 2nd glass of this! It really is very good... I think I may have been slightly more impressed with the growler, but this is incredible nonetheless.

May 23, 2011
John11486 from California

Feb 16, 2012
berkey from California

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

On hand pump at Pizza Port Carlsbad 10/31/10. This cask was dry hopped on Centennial. Had it several times this past week while I was in town finally decided to review.

A thick, fluffy, and excellently retained off-white head crowns an amber body that starts off hazy but eventually clears up nicely. Foamy lacing clings to the glass as I race to the bottom of the pint.

Aroma is front loaded with a massive resinous pine character. Much more aromatic than most cask conditioned beers I've tried. Mandarin slice citrus notes are also buried in there and help round out the bouquet nicely.

Citrus flavor takes over as the primary characteristic once this hits the palate. Funny part is that as citric as this beer is it doesn't come off that fruity and not sweet at all, I know that's somewhat of a contradiction in terms but it's my observation so I'm leaving it in my review. On the the aftertaste the piney, resinous, sticky, and slightly oily taste returns.

I'm typically a notoriously slow drinker but this, like most cask ale was so drinkable I got it done in a hurry. More cask conditioned American IPA's please!

Nov 04, 2010
RBassSFHOPit2ME from California

Jun 03, 2013
mhaugo from California

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

May 27, 2013
Sean9689 from Illinois

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Growler at my 30th. Thanks, Alex!

A - Dark orange color, white frothy head, spotty lace.

S - Dank-forward...some citrus, pine, tangerines.

T - Big on the citrus, dank herbal notes, pine, big bitter notes.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, oily hoppy finish.

D - Another solid DIPA from Pizza Port. The alcohol was hidden pretty well and the hops just destroy the palate. Recommend!

Sep 12, 2011
miadw3 from California

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Jan 10, 2013
Stpaddys9 from California

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

This is one of my favorite beers without a doubt. Full hop profile with citrus floral and piney notes. This current batch has an awesome fruity aroma that invites you to drink.

This beer tasted great cold and warm which is a tough act. How does your beer get warm? When your buddy is bugging you about his major life decisions and is expecting too much listening on your part.

I had this the first day it came on tap a couple of days ago and now today at lunch and I don't know of a better ipa being made at this time.

Yes, a bold statement but I believe it true. I drink alot of ipa and from many different brewers and this is the shizzle.

i

Aug 19, 2010
mbixler from California

Dec 16, 2012
Beerandraiderfan from Nevada

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy orange presence, one of my favorite colors for any kind of ipa not named Pliny. Great dry hop aroma, lots of varieties I'd guess, amarillo, summit (dare I say), cascade, centennial, citra? I dunno, but it was complex and yummy, insert typical pine and citrus adjetives.

A little bit of a tropical taste as well, really hit every possible hop descriptor, wasn't super bitter, just nice tropical fruity hop flavor with mango and pineapple. Light enough body, hid the alcohol quite well. None of that caramel sweetness, although it can be very good in the right beer (SNPA).

Jul 28, 2011
gregshead from California

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Review at Pizza Port on 5/31/11 from notes:

A: Light copper color pours with finger of head. Small lacing remains minutes after.

S: Mixture of pine/grapefruit on the nose. Lots of hops on he nose. Maybe biscuity background malt but its faint on the nose.

T: Some grapefruit up front & then a bomb of pine went off in my mouth. I don't usually say this but the hopes may bye a little overweight for this one. The doesn't back it up enough for me.

M: Plenty of carb. Resiny feel that has a little bit of that tear the enamel off your teeth feel.

O: A good hoppy double ipa, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as some of the other DIPAs put out by Port.

Jan 16, 2012
Buick222 from California

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

May 25, 2012
jwalden from California

Jul 05, 2013
scottfrie from California

3.67/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks for sharing this growler, Chad! Poured into snifter.

A: Pours a glowing citrus nectar amber with a thin head that faded into a thin collar leaving soapy lace.
S: This is one of the most marijuana-forward smelling beer I’ve ever come across. The nose on this is just straight dank herbal pot.
T: Flavors of super citrus hops, sweet nectar and very herbal notes of grass and weed. Moderate bitterness, ultra fresh taste. This beer is a bit on the sweet side.
M: Can’t taste the high alcohol at all. The body is extremely smooth and viscous, the carbonation is soft and even, and the mouthfeel is thick and drinks well.
O: A bit one dimensional and sweet but man this was very fresh, hoppy and smooth. Thanks again Chad.

Nov 23, 2011
Sideswipe from California

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Picked up a growler of this yesterday. Poured into a pint glass.

A- The beer is a beautiful clear amber color. An aggressive pour yields a one inch head that fades quickly. Decent lacing.

S- I could smell this beer from three feet away before I even poured it from the growler! Smells awesome! Citrus, and pine with a little sweet malt presence coming through.

T- Hops, hops, hops! Pine is prevalent with citrus notes. Bitterness at the front end is balanced by a subtle malt backbone. Finishes sweet with a lingering bitterness.

M- Carbonation could be a bit more bubbly for my taste. Piney, hoppy viscosity is right for the style.

D- This is a great tasting DIPA. ABV is masked by the well balanced hop and malt profile making this big beer scarily drinkable. I made short work of the growler and enjoyed every bit of it. Highly recommended!

Dec 05, 2010
beagle75 from Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from the growler into a standard pint glass the day after being filled.

A: Clear medium golden color with significant white head that diminishes to a fine ring around the side of the glass. Abundant lacing remains.

S: Sweet floral hops that remind of tropical fruits or boutique hand-soaps. The smell is in no way bad, but it does not promise balance in the flavor.

T: All beta-acid hops flavors--high in flavor and low in bitter finish. The taste is entirely one-note, without the layers of flavor one might look for in a superior beer of this style. There is no malt presence identifiable, perhaps because it is overshadowed by the flavors of the hops. As far as I can tell there is no information about this beer provided by the manufacturer online, so I cannot confirm my conclusion that Simcoe hops are showcased here. No evidence of alcohol is detectable.

M: Medium viscosity, quite sticky but appropriate for the style.

D: This is a beer that tastes amazing at first but diminishes in interest and complexity quickly. A half-gallon of this seems like too much!

Jun 14, 2010

1291st Review on BA
Growler to Tulip

30th Birthday Party
Thanks to Schmoopsbeer for sharing

App- A little bit of a darker DIPA. Leant itself to more of a golden amber with some orange and yellows. Only a slight head formed on this one and was gone quickly.

Smell- A thick smell came of this one. A bit of pine, citrus and malts. Fairly hidden malts with a touch of prevalant booze.

Taste- I enjoyed it but wanted to like it more. As I mentioned. A bit of a thicker DIPA with more malt forward and a nice hop backing but needs more to it.

Mouth- A medium full body with a low-medium fairly thick carbonation. Good body behind it but much to thick for my liking.

Drink- Overall, a very well done beer. Nice layers. Semi-good pop. I think I need to head down to Pizza Port soon.

May 20, 2012
brew3crew from Ohio

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at pizza port in Carlsbad

A- beautiful golden body with white head that sticks aaround throughout. Prettiest beer I have seen in awhile

S-nice citrus smell that leaves me wanting more and more

T-wow. So amazingly good. Citrus and awesome. Hops sit on my mouth a do a dance of joy. Holy crap

M-medium body and smooth.had to knock it somehow

O-great, great beer. Wow.

Nov 05, 2011
yeahnatenelson from Illinois

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

MASSIVE thanks to a great BA for this especially awesome extra. Thanks, pal!

Appearance -- Pours a hazed orange with a tuft of foamy parchment head. Could've been a postcard...

Smell -- Aromatics galore: pungent dank hops, tropical fruits, pineapple, mango, clean pine, and caramel malt sweetness. I shared this with some non-beer-nerd friends, and I was definitely getting sideways glances from the group with how much time I spent with my nose in my glass.

Taste -- INTENSE! Mango and pineapple, pine boughs, dank leafy hops, hint of simcoe cattiness. Hop bitterness is pronounced, but in good proportion. Caramel malt sweetness is mild, just enough to balance crisp bitterness and vivid tropical fruit notes. My only real gripe is that it would be better with a little more hop bitterness, but it's really damn near perfect.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with gentle carbonation. For a two-week-old growler, this is pretty f'ing good.

Overall -- I had a taste of this at Dark Lord Day and was somewhat unimpressed. This growler, however, was impeccable. Incredible depth of hop flavor, incredible aromatics, and frighteningly drinkable to boot. Frankly, I've had a hard time finding faults to this beer. To describe it, I'd call it Alpine Expo meets Surly Abrasive.

If Port ever decides to bottle this, Alpine Expo will have some SERIOUS competition.

Jun 01, 2011