Midnight Expression | Pizza Port Solana Beach

Midnight ExpressionMidnight Expression

Pizza Port Solana Beach
pizzaport.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Formerly called Moonlit Sessions Lager.

also called Midnight Expression

Added by Stoneman78 on 03-16-2008

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a black lager (schwarzbier) with a nice, foamy tan head. It’s dark even for its style, more like a stout actually. The smell is faint, but you can make out a slight chocolate, coffee smell. The taste backs up the smell, though the coffee is definitely the stronger of the two here. There is a strong malt backbone for a schwarzbier and a bitter acidity to the aftertaste, much like drinking a cup of coffee. The taste, like the appearance of this beer is very much like a stout, though maybe slightly lighter, which makes me instantly like it more than your run of the mill, everyday lager that I was expecting. It has a lot of body for a schwarzbier, but is still light enough that you could put down a lot more of these than most stouts. Nice balance all around.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Yo. I just popped open a bottle of this sucker after my girlfriend got mad at me because we were discussing feminism related to the new Game of Thrones episode. This shit was bottled on December fucking 20th 2011. It's old. I bought this one down the shore, at Crest Tavern's liquor store. I was shocked they had Port Brewing. This was the only Port Brewing they had. I figured it was skunked. Fuck it, I bought it anyway. Holy canoli. This beer tastes like a Roman fucking Pontius Pilate Imperial Stout. I had only a few beers before this one. And taking two sips of this hit me hard. Harder than any beer I've taken a sip of, harder than any barley wine bullshit. IS this possible? Can you age a fucking Midnight Lager for four years and it turns into some crazy intense highly alcoholic bullshit without going skunkeD? I don't know. Maybe I'm just drunk and tired from working 12c hours at Monk's Cafe. Whatever. I'd like to have a freshie of this beer. I feel bad poruning any of it down the drain, but the gf wants to kill me already, so drinking any more of this will be the warpath to my own demise. Maybe I'll have just a few mor sips?? Peace.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%