Swami's IPA | Pizza Port Solana Beach

pizzaport.com

Style: American IPA

Added by xlperro on 08-22-2002

Reviews: 184 | Ratings: 1,148

Huge tropical pungent hops so pungent I'm getting hints of that garlic/onion smell but in the best way possible. Very crisp and huge fruity notes from the hops and ending with that intense pine and pungent taste that I was getting on the smell. There is some sweetness in there but its all about the hops in this one. Honestly this is my favorite IPA.

Had this for the first time a few years ago and instantly fell in love with it . living in Los Angeles its very easy to find and cheap at that for a 16 oz 6 pack. Great IPA .

Got a fresh 6 pack about a week old and wow!!!everything on the nose is pineapple, mango,oranges you get all that on the taste as well very dank not bitter at all (for me anyway)one of the best I've had..also had the kook DIPA kind of similar but a little more bitter, in a good way..check it out strongly recommended...

4.95/5  rDev +21.3%

Someone at either BevMo or TotalWine suggested this one. Definitely one of my favorites. Hoppy, refreshing. Just an all around good IPA. Shame you can't find it outside of California...

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours bright yellow almost golden, with a very wide white foam head, excellent retention and lacing. Aroma is spectacular, citric, fruity, hoppy. Taste is very well balanced between hoppiness and maltiness. Awesome IPA drink fresh.

4.84/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This pours a dark straw color, has bone white head, slightly fruity piney smell, hop flavor not too overpowering but very present. This is a very drinkable IPA. I really enjoy it.

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Look: Transparent medium gold with a thick white head. Very active

Smell: Spruce tips, fresh cut grass, white peaches, pineapple, with a sticky malt.

Taste: Spruce tips, grapefruit zest, white peaches, grassy hops, with a dank full body malt. Balanced.

Feel: Medium body with a very pleasant bitter. Finish is slightly bitter with a mild booze.

Overall: Outstanding. Everything an IPA should be. Balanced to perfection with all the elements playing off each other beautifully. It's piney, citrusy, hoppy, grassy, malt is present, booze is dialed in, and the bitter is sublime. This is not a fruit juice IPA, this is not a malt mess, this is not a bitter catastrophe. This is what a West coast IPA should be. Perfect

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

Pint glass

I think you can guess this went down really nicely.
Swamis IPA on cask. Life is good.

Pours a deep golden amber. Good head with retention and awesome lacing. Scents were definately hoppy. Some citrus and rind. A nice malt finish on the nose. Dry carbonation scent as well.

Flavors aplenty. I think the cask helps out the malt on this one. The hops are definately dominant but it has a decent malt flavor in the background. Strong grapefruit give it a nice bitter bite. A very nice malt finish.

A medium bodied IPA. A little heavier in mouthfeel than other IPA's. As the flavors build there is a dry smooth finish.

I love this IPA. It was a treat to have it on cask. I have had it from the tap and that is also phenomenal.

I had two while I was there and if I did not have to leave I would be well beyond two by now.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A : Lots of head. A great Beautiful, golden yellow. Lots of head when poured from the can. Very thick three finger, egg shell colored head. Very long retention with small bubbles. Crystal clear with loads of carbonation. Perfect.

S - Very hoppy, floral, citrus, and pine. As good as it gets!

T - Perfectly sweet but crisp, dry, and very hoppy.

M - Light and great carbonation. Super fresh

O - Great deal for a six pack of 16oz cans. A classic west coast IPA.

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

From a can. Pours a clear crisp golden tan color with generous foaming.
This is the definition of catty, cat pee and onions and garlicky hops come across on the aroma. It could very well be the first beer I've noticed this combination so present, and it dominates the citrusy orange notes that come out. Bitter and biting, but dangerously addictive all the same. Is it safe to say this beer blew my mind?

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Everything a single IPA should be. Great hop flavor and aroma. If you can get your hands on one you will not be disappointed. If you visit San Diego, you must have Swami's.

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass. Canned on 4/7/14.

A - A moderate pour yields a clear golden hue with a billowing head of white foam. Webs of lacing cling to the glass with each sip. A thick cap of soapy foam remains atop the beer for the entire duration. Lots of tiny hop particles float throughout the beer.

S - Big, clean notes of tropical fruit, citrus, and melon rind prevail. Mildly piney, a bit herbal, and slightly dank. Clean ale yeast and some malty sweetness balance the multitude of hop aromas. Fantastic.

T - Clean, puckering, juicy bitterness blankets the palette. A nice crackerish malt backbone peaks through to balance the flavor before the hop bitterness kicks back in. Finishes dry and pleasantly bitter.

M - Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation. Slightly oily and slick for a single IPA, but still finishes dry enough to leave you looking forward to the next sip.

O - A quintessential California IPA. Balanced, but still intensely hop-forward. My new go-to 6-pack.

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%

It's the West Coast Heady Topper so dank and juicy. If you hold it up to the light you'll see all the hop resin that's the stuff that coats your mouth in Dankness. Such a great beer I still prefer Blind Pig & Nelson but its still a top 5 ipa for me. The only weak spot to me is the nose is not super dank and fruity.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

This is my favorite IPA. Hoppy and smooth. Fantastic smell, great looking amber beer. I live on the East coast so I don't get to Solana Beach/San Diego as often as I would like but I always end up here sitting outside, people watching, with their pizza and drinking Swami's IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in a six-pack of tallboys. I should mention I purchased this beer 5 days (!!!) after the canning date. Not obscenely expensive when you factor in the amount of beer you get for your money.

A: I'll admit, it's not the best looking beer ever. Pours a clear, golden yellow with a fair amount of white head that sticks around for a bit.

S: This beer shines here. Caramel sweetness, citrus, tropical fruit, melon. This is an awesome beer to smell, even straight out of the can (I've had it both ways)

T: Starts with that spicy, tropical bitterness that fades in to a smooth mellow malt sweetness. Solid west coast IPA with a nice malt bill to back it up.

M: Long, bitter finish. Good carbonation for the style, cleans up the sweet and finishes dry.

O: I feel like this beer is underrated. I found the last six pack in the store, and to be honest I never cared for Pizza Port/Port Brewing/Lost Abbey. At this price I can afford to drink this one, it's tasty, and it may just be my new go-to six pack. Cheers.

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers and the fact that when I visit from phx it's readily available and almost always fresh is pretty sweet. This is packed with west coast bitterness, has not taste of booze and just a friggin delight to pound during the warm days.

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Swamis is an excellent and easy to find (SoCal) American IPA. Total Wine, BevMo, etc.. stock this in abundance.

Taste is juicy, fruity, hoppy and slightly sweet from the light malt balanced by just the right amount of bitterness (not too bitter).

My go to IPA in San Diego - especially because it comes in 16oz 6-packs for the same price as most 16oz 4-packs.

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

This one showed up in a sort of FFT CANTrade ™ from a trader in Virginia who had received this and a couple of other Pizza Port CANs in a trade of his own and knew that I would up my ante in return for receiving them. Indeed.

From the CAN: "We have been brewing Swami's IPA for over 20 years, so to finally share this in a CAN is a dream come true! Whatever your form of meditation is, we hope that each and every sip [CAN]tributes to your own self realization! Cheers!"

The Crack! brightened the day and I CANtinued the celebration with an inverted Glug until the glass became close to full of the CANtents of the pint-sized CANtainer. The smell of grapefruit-citrus hops immediately filled the room and once again, I found myself wishing for this as an air freshener. It settled into three fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 – 5). Leaning in for a better sniff, I also noted pine hops among the citrus. Now, my mouth was watering unCANtrollably! I watched as the head slowly fell, leaving loads of sticky lacing in its wake. Finally, I could take a sip. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was a hophead’s wet dream! It was grapefruit, orange peel and pine, all wrapped up into one big joygasm on the tongue. It simply stood to reinforce my love of hops and especially in AIPAs. Man, I could just sit and drink hop-driven beers all day until I simply fell out! This was a little big at 6.8%, but I am up to the task. Finish was dry, hoppy, bitter, just the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.

My original on-tap review follows:

I had mine at Downtown Johnny Browns.

It arrived with only wisps for head but with a stunning clarity in a deep-amber beer. The nose was heavenly! It had a beautiful floral aspect, but muted at the same time. Letting it warm just a bit made it smell like I had rubbed fresh hops in my palms. Oily, floral, even a little fruity. Mouthfeel tended to the thin side, but the slick, oily feeling that I got on the tongue more than made up for it. Finish was beautifully, lingeringly hoppy. Damn! I refuse to move back to the Left Coast, but they have fantastic beer.

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type: 16 oz can into a pint glass

Pours a clear golden yellow color with billowy eggshell bubbles. Smells of pine dankness, heavy citrus, and heavy floral hops. Taste reflects the smell. Initial citrus bitterness, floral hoppy dankness, finishing with a pleasant citrus bitterness. Feel is light and amply carbonated which fits the flavor profile. Overall this is very good beer with great flavors that make this easy to drink. A perfect go-to beer, especially with the 6 x 16 oz format.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%

I only poured a sip into a glass to get a look at it and it was a nice golden hue with good head retention. I crushed the rest of this right from the can. Holy drinkability. You can get a nice citrus/pine scent right out of the can but nothing overly perfumy. This IPA is absolutely delicious and underrated. It's as good as any 16 oz IPA can in the Midwest I'll say that. It drinks so smoothly. I'd have this in my fridge quite often if available. Super fresh thanks to a great trade partner too.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can.

Appearance - Golden yellow hue.

Smell - Pine and citrus.

Taste - Citrus and pine. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable. Perfect carbonation.

Overall - Highly recommend

Grade (B+)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Lets keep this one simple.

This is a kick ass classic west coast IPA.

Super piney with some fruit on the nose. Pours clear, clean and very consistent.
Goes great with chiles and other spicy foods.

Always ultra fresh with convenient canned on date on the bottom. Usually when I get these they are only a week or two old. Cant beat that!

Swamis, I love you... at $13 for 6 pints my wallet also loves you.

One of my favorite daily drivers, get some.

4.5+

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Look is yellowish orange super clear. With a thick frothy head and lots of bubbles.

Aroma is heavy citrus orange with the pithiness of grapefruit.

The taste is citrus with a very resin end.

Great west coast IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A solid A in my book..the smell is well balanced...lots of pine,citrus and grapefruit...it looks very good with some lacing on your glass going down.. the taste is smooth and bitter in a good way..if you love IPAs you know what I mean..nice body as well and as it warms up a bit there's some nice balanced malty sweetness to it..12 bucks for a 6 pack of caned pints..great value too.. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man, this is some good stuff! It's a lot better than a 90 pt beer for sure. It's a bit plain smelling on the nose, but the taste is there! For the hop lover. Right there in my top five DIPA's. It really is a great beer, and I can agree, the Heady of the West Coast. Thanks Pizza Port!

Swami's IPA from Pizza Port Solana Beach