Dusk Till Dawn | Pizza Port Solana Beach

Pizza Port Solana Beach
pizzaport.com

Style: American Porter

Added by womencantsail on 02-20-2012

My favorite coffee brew. Barrel aged is even better

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks!

Batch 2 brewed with Bird Rock coffee. Hands down, this is the best coffee beer I've had.

Black opaque body topped by a tan crust that settles to a collar. The nose is ridiculously, insanely good. In terms of intensity and depth, this destroys every other coffee beer I've had. It's earthy, toasty and slightly fruity without being acidic or ashy. The coffee brings a ton of depth to the aroma, nearly overwhelming the base beer. There's no hint of alcohol. The body is full, but not syrupy. The palate is roasty with dark chocolate, a touch of molasses, and a ton of amazing coffee flavor. Compared to other coffee beers, it's very espresso-like. They must be using some really high quality stuff here. Overall I couldn't really find fault with this beer, just an amazingly well crafted coffee porter.

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to Levitation for hooking this up in a trade.

A - A nice looking black beer with a brown/mocha head that rose up about a finger and faded to a solid ring.

S - Had no idea what this beer was when Alex handed me the glass, but the smell just about knocked my socks off. Great earthy, coffee notes that had a touch of unsweetened cocoa. This might be the best coffee aroma I've ever gotten from a beer. No off flavors that can sometimes arise when a coffee brew is attempted. Perfect.

T - Tastes as good as it smells. It manages to capture a thick, cold coffee flavor without having any of the bitterness or other bad flavors you can get when coffee goes cold and stale. A touch of sweetness from cocoa and toffee, but make no mistake, this is a coffee beer through and through. The flavors are rich and deep, but not as sweet as BCBCS. Simply amazing.

M - Full, moderately carbonated, the beer is such a great experience that there's just no complaints once it gets into your mouth.

O - This beer was unbelievable, one of the very best I've ever had. I had no idea it was around 11% ABV either until I was midway into my third glass. Alcohol is dangerously well hidden as I could kill an entire growler of this on my own before passing out. Simply remarkable, no complaints here.

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Chilled growler into a glass. larga "best ____ I've ever had" deer shared a small pour with me and turned me on to it. I happened to pick up a growler of it at Pizza Port San Clemente while in town for a wedding. That's what I'm reviewing here: a glass consumed quietly in my apartment without distractions.

A: Pours a pitch black body with a limp, short-lived head of mocha bubbles. It's basically flat. The growler is about a week old, so maybe it wasn't sealed properly; similar screw-top jugs I've opened have been fine for up to 10 days. Shame on me for not tightening it further at the brewpub, I guess.

S: This has a rich, deep, dark coffee aroma. It rivals my drunken experiment where I tried to "recharge" BCBCS 2010 by steeping it in some dark roast from Blue Bottle. It's fresh, pungent, and overpowering. What I find most impressive is that the beer has only picked up the notes of roast, earth, and berries without any of the ash, acridity, or vegetal notes that some coffee beers exhibit. While strong, the coffee doesn't overpower the base aromas of chocolate and (some) molasses.

T: The great coffee pickup in the nose translates to the taste: it's clean, roasty, earthy, berry-like, but it has no off flavors whatsoever. This is what coffee infusion in beer should do. Hell, I wish I made *coffee* this good, let alone a coffee beer. Roasted malt, chocolate, some molasses, and even light toffee give the beer a sweet body that complements the coffee without being too sweet or rich.

M: Full-bodied. No trace of the ABV. Not rich or syrupy. Can't really find a fault here.

O: I make fun of largadeer for pronouncing everything, even stale mushrooms found underneath his refrigerator, as "the best ___ I've ever had" in some obscure category. But I'm inclined to agree here: I think this is an outstanding coffee porter. Out-fucking-standing. Only thing is that the $36 fill (not including the glass or tip) knocks my happiness down a peg.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Growler from Levitation. Thanks bruh! Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip.

A - Tan foam settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving behind splotchy lacework. Body is pitch black.

S - Massive coffee accented with vanilla, roasted malts, dark chocolate. But mostly coffee, and what coffee it is: delicious nutty, earthy, roasty, and fruity. Perfectly integrated with the base porter flavors too.

T - The taste is also formidable, with huge espresso, dark roast bitterness, and dark chocolate malts. There's a mildly acidic and charry diner coffee note that is the only thing keeping this from matching the perfect aroma, but this is still incredibly awesome.

M - Medium-full body, pleasant moderate carbonation, some roasty dryness (as if the growler was 33% coffee instead of beer), but most hilariously this is absolutely no trace of the near-11% ABV. I thought this beer was something like 6% until someone asked about it.

D - Quite possibly the best coffee beer out there. Expensive at $36 but worth it. I would like another growler, possibly for myself. An absolute must-try.

4.66/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +2.7%