Burns' Night | Pizza Port Solana Beach

Alströms:

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.68/5  rDev +30.7%

A: Really deep amber color that basically looks black. About a finger of thick light brown head graces the top of this offering, and sticks around of a while (and to the side of the glass for that matter). 4.5

S: Very roasty aroma with malty undertones. Almost to the point of chocolatey, with the caramel and molasses playing together nicely. I'm most focused on the really big roast. 4

T: The taste is very nice. Surprising for me because scotch ales can be hit or miss on my palate. Very sweet, with what I thought was a lot of chocolate, but after talking to Megan--Head Brewer of Bluejacket--I found out it was just a combination of caramel, roast, and molasses. The malts underneath bolster it extremely well. Wonderful balance. 5

MF: Heavier body than I would have thought and a lower carbonation. The balance makes it so easy to drink and the alcohol is masked very well. 4.5

Value: $3 for 4oz which is absolutely worth it. I will buy this one again the next time I see it. 5

O: Surprise of the night. It quickly became my second favorite Bluejacket beer, behind Snack Attack!. 5

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Churchkey, this is a collaboration with the yet to be opened Bluejacket brewery in D.C. Served at their party at CK with other collaborations. According to the brewer of Bluejacket, the goal wasn't an overly smokey / peety beer, just a simple Scotch ale.

Beer is served in a snifter, beer is black with a thin head, moderate to low retention, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is roasty but not smoky.

Beer is bitter, roasty bitter, a little thin but hides the high alcohol well. Comes off like a porter to me more than a scotch ale, I was hoping for some interesting malt characteristics or some more yeast presence, it is a pretty clean ale, definitely could step up the smoke more for greater impact like the ability to taste it.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%