#nofilter

From:
Voodoo Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
#nofilter#nofilter
Notes:
Reviews: 10 | Ratings: 55 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by huddyball:
huddyball from New Hampshire

Apr 26, 2014
WVbeergeek from West Virginia

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The hash tag series has been interesting one offs from Matt Allyn and company at Voodoo brewing, I had the #22oztofreedom. An homage to one of my favorite bands Sublime, my buddy and I were about to crack this one and he asked what it was, my reply: I have no idea, but I bet it's a saison. Appears a pale hazed golden amber body with bright white head, fine speckled sporadic lacing. Aromatics bring out Belgian yeast characteristics, lemon peel, a hint of pepper, mild tropical fruit and chalky yeast components. Flavor a bit dead on arrival, and boring. Please voodoo send us some barrel aged beer and barleywines in Pittsburgh, don't ship it all to Philly please!!! Chalky yeast, spicy Belgian yeast, bitter citrus peel, more lemon zest here than orange. Mouthfeel is bit flat on carbonation for this style of beer the Belgians know how to bring the effervescence, bitter dry yeast lingers into a realm of blah. Overall, I've had so many more expressive Saisons, I'm just glad this was 22 ounces for $6.95.

Mar 04, 2014

makeitavintage from Pennsylvania

Aug 31, 2014
BlitzShadow from Pennsylvania

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from the 22oz bottle to form a tight head atop a cloudy golden base.

The flavors are quite refreshing. Earthy and malty with citrus notes (faint lemon) and a hint of tartness.

The weather is getting warmer and this was a great beer to say good-bye to winter!

Note- Admittedly, I am quite surprised by some of the reviews. I did not experience any off-flavors at all. That is very unfortunate, but I am a little glad that I purchased before reading the reviews because it was well worth it.

Mar 23, 2014
RblWthACoz from Pennsylvania

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Stumbled across this and picked it up. Honestly, when I see a saison out of the U.S. anymore, it gives me pause. Hopefully this brings what I am looking for.

And...it isn't. This is not a saison. Not a saison at all. I am so tired of spending money on generic Belgian ales that are labeled as saisons. This is a soapy mess with too much sweetness. Seriously. Where does it say that saisons taste like soap? Someone show me.

This conforms to no guidelines for the style at all. Maybe you could say it is fruity, but it's not good. There is no funk. No earthyness. It's just another of the homebrew level of beers being passed off as saisons.

This is really frustrating and unpleasant and I would like my money back. Maybe I'd use it to go get some Fantôme. And if I did, I would gather all the beer-ers around to come get a taste of what a saison is supposed to taste like.

Jan 06, 2014

Dec 01, 2013
stakem from Pennsylvania

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to tommyguz for hooking me up with this. Many thanks my friend! Bomber poured into a matching 22oz voodoo snifter. The brew appears a hazy copper with lighter yellow around the edges. A white finger rests atop and fades leaving stringy patches of lace on the glass.

The aroma is fruity like pear/apple with a fresh cracked pepper aspect. Some straw-like grain is also present before the onset of a slight touch of sulfur and herbal hops. It is not the best smelling saison, but it conforms to the style.

The flavor includes notes of crushed black pepper upfront along with mild clove overtop a grain base that seems like straw. It is earthen with a touch of herbal bitterness and a fruit quality like pear/apple skins. As it warms up, a bit of phenolics tasting like plastic/rubber come out.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of cabonation. Quite dry, crisp and easy drinking. Complex enough to be interesting throughout the experience. But nothing bad about this brew, just not my favorite in the style.

After the fact remarks. Reading other reviews on this beer prove interesting. My experience was very unlike the others. I am excited to hold off on opening my other bottle and see how it developes. It seems this beer has already been progressing nicely based on the first couple of reviews (unless there is bottle variation?) Regardless, I was excited to see Voodoo experiment with a saison, no regrets, would buy again.

Jan 08, 2014
Rifugium from North Dakota

3.29/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from the Beer Shoppe.

Poured into a Voodoo teku. Burnt orange color, cloudy and opaque, with a small cap of white head that quickly sank to a thin ringlet, minimal lacing. Grainy aroma, sulfur, funky wet grass. The taste was similar, hay, grassy funk, grains, sulfur, hints of pear, peppery spice...more hay. Decent, but not very tasty. I'd consider it perhaps past its prime, but considering the beer just came out recently, I guess that's not necessarily the case. Light-medium body, crisp mouthfeel, lower carbonation, but somewhat metallic and uncomfortable. Not bad, but not something I'd go for again.

Feb 23, 2014

HoppyBastard1 from Pennsylvania

Feb 15, 2014
DrDemento456 from Pennsylvania

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never seen Voodoo do a Saison before so I was interested enough to put down 7 bucks for the bomber.
A - Somewhat dark hazy yellow with a 1/4 inch of soapy head. Lacing is pretty nice.
S - Well I didn't get much funk maybe basic Belgium yeasts and some bread. Huh not much spicing either. I sip.
T - Not very good it has a sort of herbal medicinal hard water taste I couldn't get passed until half the bottle when it killed my taste buds a bit. Not really close to the style it had no peppery bite, or any coriander, or any lemon. Maybe a touch of funky yeast but mostly just muddled not even sweet and fruity yeasts and some herbal hops.
M - Even though its listed as a "session saison this beer drinks a touch over a medium to even a heavy body. Kind of a chore to finish.

Overall I guess not every experimental beer is to succeed. I kind of wish this was a 12oz format so I wouldn't have wasted so much on it . In a way I kind of wish they done more with it like adding some fruit I love some cherries or even added some sweet tea. This is not worth the buy pass.

Jan 06, 2014