Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black Magick | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Best Imerial Stout I've ever had!
A-Dark as can be of course.
S-The smell on this can only be descibed as Mystical Unicorn Farts, which is the best smell in the world.
T-like heaven in a glass
M-Smooth....
O-The new King of Stouts
Drink It! It's Good!
Pappy Says So....

Serving- 12oz bottle, 2011 Vintage poured into 4oz snifter.

Appearance- Deep Black with a tan laced perimeter ring on the snifter, You can not see through this midnight beauty even when held up to full light. However,you can make out a separation due to the buoyancy and density differences the barrel aging has created.

Smell- Bittersweet chocolate, soy, molasses, bourbon, caramel and butterscotch.

Taste- Vanilla, caramel and bourbon, transforming to a coffee subdued hop bitterness. Sweet butter scotch and earthy smoked malt is at the very bottom with an alcohol warming effect on the palate while this beer is cold. This alcohol seems completely hidden when this hits about 60 degrees and the overall flavor continues to develop as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel- slick, but not lingering like a typical stout or barrel aged barley wine of this character. Leaves a nice rich, yet clean feeling in the mouth. I would compare it to a caramello bar smoothness but without that stickiness and more of a crisp finish.

Overall- 15.5% masterpiece I will continue to cellar and seek out this brew year after year. Black magick, your voodoo spell is upon me and I am enjoying every minute of it.

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

I received this unlabeled bottle from a very kind Guzzle yesterday. I initially thought it was a homebrew, but he corrected me, and I wasted no time in cracking this as it has been on my want list for a long time. Served at cellar temp and poured into an oversized wine glass. This one was consumed on 11/18/2008.

The pour was as rich and dark and menacing as you could imagine. Just black as night with nothing discernable coming through on here at all. A smallish tan head then came up over the top and settled down effortlessly in the glass, producing some nice side glass lacing and an overall just really big look to this.

The aroma though was to die for. Rich bourbon and whiskey like smell. This was the biggest, and if not top three biggest barrel aromas I have ever come across. You could pick this one up from across the room. Underneath of that was a solid layer of roasted malts, some like smoke notes and a decent touch of molasses. The flavor again, was one of the best I have come across. Rich notes of vanilla and oak, rush over the tongue and are met with a smack of whiskey flavor. This mellows some in the middle of the palate and introduces a touch of sweetness to it at this time with a hint of coffee and a bitter, almost sour at times bite at the end. Rich and just absolutely huge, I was floored by each and every sip of this gem that I took. I still cannot imagine what the ABV was here, but I felt it when I was done, but not during.

Overall this was a surprise to get, and I am really just blown away by it. One of the best big stouts I have had in I cannot even tell you how long. This is right up there with the big ones for me. As solid as they come!

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Black with 1cm khaki head. Low retention and spotty lacing.

Roasted character in the nose with some chocolate. Bourbon is present but not Alot. A little oaky.

Flavor is phenomenal and extremely well balanced. Deep, robust and not overly rich. Nice chocolate notes. Mild bourbon and vanilla.

Mouth is just under full bodied. Silky with light creamy carbonation.

Overall this beer is excellent! You'd never know it's 15% abv. I want more!

Black Magick from Voodoo Brewery