Black Magick | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

2.11/5  rDev -49.8%

Thanks to ipa247 (Jeff) for this one. Unlabeled 12oz. bottle poured into a Darkness snifter. Shared with schen9303.

A: Standard pour yields no head... so I extend it... and still nothing. Beer is thicker than motor oil and darker too. Lacing is spotty and and sparse with moderate cling. Nice legs though. Not the best looking but damn... may be the thickest imperial stout I've seen to date.

S: Nose is outrageously aromatic and strong. Booze hits full force right at the beginning. Notes of vanilla, roasted malt, liquorice, brownie mix, creamy hops, and chocolate linger in the background. Make no mistake about it... this is very one-sided... and not a good side either.

T: Opens very roasty and boozy. Ethanol and roasted dark fruit bitterness create an awkward combination at the start. Liquorice and stale sweet soy sauce towards the middle. Abrasive chocolate, bitter cocoa powder, creamy hops, and liquorice at the end. Finish is more roasted dark fruit and cocoa powder. Aftertaste is bitter cocoa powder and some bittersweet chocolate. Too much booze and not enough complexity. The flavor that is present is awkward. Not impressed at all.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Oily and thick in the mouth but bubbly and prickly going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Rather standard but the body is light for how it looks and at 15.5% ABV, this actually tastes STRONGER than it actually is... which is a feat in itself.

O: This beer is sought after?!? I don't understand it in the least or else I'm entirely missing something here but this is not a good beer. Too much booze, not enough flavor, and every other aspect is barely average. Pass... its not nearly worth the effort.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours jet black, with a light brown head. In the aroma, coffee, roasted malt, and hints of oaky bourbon. In the taste, bourbon stands out, with a small oak, and faint notes of dry coffee. A smooth and medium to big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry oaky and bourbon like aftertaste. Big bourbon and coffee tastes, and actually hides the alcohol, which is good and bad.

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz. bottle poured into my dogfish imperial pint glass. This is from the 2011 release.

A - Pours pitch black with a small film of tan head, dissipating down to nothing at all, leaving small wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of rich chocolate, bourbon heat, sweet chocolate malt, and lots of ethyl alcohol. The sweet chocolate aroma is very nice but the booze brings it down a notch or two.

T - Lots of rich chocolate, sweet chocolate malt, warm bourbon, vanilla, and some light oak/wood tannins. Good overall balance with a bit too much booze at the moment. Finish is hot with plenty of lingering dark roast. Pretty good, still a bit raw tho.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice creamy feel with plenty of boozy heat and dark roast in the finish.

O - Pretty good. I liked this one quite a bit but the high ABV. really hurt the drinkability. I think it is still pretty raw and hot at the moment but the future looks bright. I will need to get a few more of these for the cellar.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Ooh, this pours so velvety smooth, a lovely dark mahogany stream of beer out of the bottle. Once in the glass, though, all color disappears -- nothing but black. A thick, dark head slowly develops. I think it takes to the count of ten before a clear border actually develops between liquid and foam. I'm letting the foam settle as I write this, and it's clinging to the side like melted ice cream. I've heard people say that high alcohol kills lacing... but this lacing is so thick that from the side it looks like the head never dropped at all. Wow. This looks fantastic.

Smells like equal parts chocolate (sweet, not bitter) and bourbon, with a splash of vanilla. I was bracing for more of an alcohol punch, given the ABV, but am happy to note that I'm barely catching even a hint of it. Delicious. I am looking forward to the taste...

The alcohol is much more noticeable on the tongue (but that's hardly a criticism of a 15% ABV beer), and is surrounded by mounds of bourbon and chocolate. Not a whole lot of bitterness of any sort; it's really quite sweet. Still overwhelmingly bourbon + chocolate, but I'm not complaining. I get a bit of a bitter, astringent aftertaste in the back of my throat, which isn't entirely pleasant, but it just makes me look forward to my next sip even more.

Thick, viscous mouthfeel... yum. The alcohol cuts through it a bit, along with just a touch of carbonation. Quite good, but it's so good it makes me want just a little bit more...

This is a damn good beer. I got this (along with a Big Black Voodoo Daddy) from nhindian, and damn, I want to make a trip to PA to get more.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My label states 15.5%, this is one beautiful looking beer, it's absolutely pitch black no visible light makes it through the body...everything fades to black. Head is smooth and creamy light tan color with fine layers of lacing forming as it settles.

Aroma is full of lively whiskey barrel aging effects, vanilla, charred oak big aggressive barrel aging on the nose with a background imperial grandpa stout brewing up with dark chocolate/coffee/hints of soy sauce pretty impressive that something this complex can come out of Meadville, PA. I love the ville de Mead, I attended Allegheny College as a freshmen and this beer is like a 360 from the beer scene I experienced that year.

Flavor is full of whiskey barrel aging effects, well the booze seems to dominate a bit my nares are widened and senses alert with the first sip, warmth runs down my chest and throughout my palate. Funny that I bought a single bottle of this for 17 dollars and a full case of KBS for 100 bucks tonight after having dinner at Primanti Brother's in Crafton, PA. As it warms dark chocolate, whiskey dessert creaminess comes alive with dark fruits in the background, an amazing drinking experience no doubt. Warm belly, happy heart I consume this special beer being proud to personally know Matt Allyn...not just as a beergeek but a person who loves beer and and works his ass off while raising a family.

That's the real side to Matt that comes through, he's a family man working for Straub, Erie, 3 Sons, Voodoo, Sprague, Blue Canoe...Matt is simply a true gypsy brewer for a region who does what it takes to keep the beer flowing.

Mouthfeel is hot, but not offensively so, I love the way the dark roasts and creamy chocolate meld with the hints of whiskey barrel aging like vanilla and charred oak with high 31 proof beer sits comfortably on a beer drinker's palate on a cool mid March evening.

Overall impression is excellent one of those beers that I have had but never threw down my thoughts in ink, I'm glad I've made a permanent statement about how excellent these brews are. By the way, I've recently seen Voodoo Pilzilla in 12 ounce bottles quite simply the perfect format for such an unrelentingly hoppy pilsner. I love Voodoo, they need to send some Cowbell down here on Nitro it will move without difficulty.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a bottle into a brandy snifter.

A- looks average. Had a caramel colored head that quickly disapeared. very minimal lacing.

S- This might be the most aromatic beer i've ever had. beautiful smell of bourbon it's you first then caramel, vanilla, and a hint of oak.

T- Initial taste at fridge temp was that of chilled bourbon. After letting it warm up to around 60 I could taste a lot of the flavors i picked up in the smell. Very complex flavor it seems to give off different flavors when you first taste it, in the middle, and an after taste.

M- Very full bodied beer. the taste really hangs around.

O- I'm very impressed with this beer. I bought it because I heard a lot of hype from the brewer and some locals but it definately lives up to it

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Well, I finally got a bottle of the elusive Black Magick. These are very hard to come by as they are made every other year in very limited quantities. My bottle was the 2010/2011 version. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A jet black color with a minimal light brown head on a conservative pour. Lacing is sticky and lasting. Amazing for 15% abv.

S: Wow. Fresh the bourbon and vanilla tones come wafting out. I also get some large amounts of chocolate and espresso. Alcohol comes out in the nose too.

T: Should I say it again? Yes. Wow. Tastes up front start off with heavy bourbon flavor mixed with the vanilla and large chocolate flavors. Very rich. Some slight wood tones with some earthy tones and maybe even some tar like flavors. The chocolate and bourbon flavors stay along with the alcohol to bring the beer to a close. I was surprised that the finish was fairly dry and not sweet at all. Amazing.

M: Full, coating, smooth, alcoholic, flavor lasts.

O: Ok, I want to address the overall and drinkability here regarding the alcohol. This is a 15% beer. For those that say you can't taste the alcohol, that's crazy. You absolutely can taste it, even warm. For those that say it's too hot and boozy, I'll disagree again. The alcohol is very much there, but for me it was very enjoyable. Would it benefit with age? I bet it would, but fresh the beer was still very enjoyable. Guess I sit right in the middle on this subject.

This is a fantastic beer that I wish they made every year. I also wish I had a few bottles to cellar. Outstanding. Hopefully I'll see some bottles, but I doubt it. This is a must try beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Bottle generously provided by noslenwerd, thanks Drew!

A - For a stout of this magnitude, it has an excellent appearance to it. Darker than the night and somehow all of the black imagery on the label still seems to undershoot this beer a little. It actually builds about a 1.5-finger head, a dark shade of tan, that lasts for quite a few minutes. Even after it fades, it leaves a thick ring around the edge and a small foam cap island in the middle. What really surprised me, however, was the lacing. I'm not sure how a a 15% beer has lacing this impressive, but it is a sight to see. It covers almost the entirety of the glass in a thin film of foam and sticks there the entire time.

S - Even from the nose, it gives strong impressions of a big beer. There's a big roastiness to this beer, giving a mild impression of espresso grounds or perhaps a little bit of tobacco. But as it warms the chocolate comes through in a big way, where almost all the other smells cascade around it. Think really thick, fudge chocolate with a nice sweetness to it. Then the vanilla comes next and incorporates well with the established chocolate to give it a dessert-like quality. The bourbon, like in Rare Bourbon County or 50/50 Eclipse (Four Roses), is more subtle and coalesces seamlessly with the other notes, rather than being the sole focus. The alcohol does come through a little bit in the form of some solvent astringency, but no where near the 15% level.

T - To begin with, if you want a cool experience, first pour the beer while it's still relatively cold, and observe the change the beer undertakes as it warms up, as it changes flavor profiles many times during its transformation. And hey, it's a sipper anyway, so may as well get some mileage out of it! The bourbon comes into play almost immediately after the first sip, but again, as in the nose, it acts more of a way to add more complexity and depth to the other flavors rather than be the most prominent aspect. Surprisingly, I'm getting a ton of chocolate in this beer, and it comes through in that real thick, sweet, dark fudge chocolate that it seems most of my favorite beers possess (Rare BCS, Four Roses Eclipse, Ballast Point Victory at Sea, Southern Tier Chokolat...). The roastiness from the nose is almost completely absent here, perhaps coming through slightly in the oak barrel, but not anywhere close to the extent it was in the nose. The vanilla makes a strong resurgence here as well, just adding another level to an already big beer. This finish has a slight alcohol bite, but I wouldn't place this anywhere near 15%. Seriously, where did all of the alcohol go in this beer? I've had stouts with 6% less alcohol bite harder than this. It must be some of that good ol' fashioned black magick...

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy with low carbonation. Pretty damn thick and leaves a heavy coating on the palate. Not as smooth as Rare BCS at first, but after about 45 minutes it gets pretty creamy and almost dangerously drinkable.

D - Drinkability is too high for this beer. For a 15% beer, I was expecting a noticeable and inhibitive alcohol kick that would make this almost hard to drink, but no such quality here. As the beer warms (which you should let do), there's almost no alcohol in the finish. One of these will have you feeling pretty good, but if I had an unlimited amount of these, I would have no qualms drinking them all night (and promptly passing out after about 2.)

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

A - A very black beer, pretty dead, with a small mocha head that didn't stick around long.

S - Oak, char, coffee, lot of booze and bourbon. Smells pretty hot, but at 15.5% that's expected. Some dark fruit notes.

T - This has a really full taste that is a ton of toffee, roasted malts, oak, and bourbon. Finish is just too hot, but the flavor profile does show some potential.

M - Thick and sludgy. Low carbonation.

O - This is a somewhat promising beer that may do better with age, but right now it is just too hot and too much.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to Mike for this one. 12oz bottle into CCB snifter.

A - Pours black, ever so small mocha-colored head which quickly vanishes into a thin ring around the glass.

S - Huge alcohol nose, some oak, char, strong day-old black coffee.

T - A bombardment of alcohol, oak, char, and big malty notes. Not very complex at the moment and is overly hot right now. Oak hot alcohol finish that's unappealing.

M - Full, viscous, slight carbonation.

O - Too hot for me at the moment. Some cellar time might do this one some good. I can't recommend this one at the moment but would like to try a bottle with some age on it and try again.

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle thanks to Mike, poured into my Narke tulip... A typical flat ba pour, a light tan ring presents briefly, a deep black body... The aroma smells a little like a black sharpie with some bourbon and alcohol, boring and simple... This is really hot with even more black sharpie and the finish is hot with lots of peat and way too much alcohol.

Not liking this at all. Pass.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz. bottle from the batch released around the time of this review.

Poured about 4oz. into a Cigar City snifter. Wow...this is a black beer...about as light eating as you can get. A tiny film layer of dark cinnamon colored head formed and vanished right before my eyes. Gonna let this one come to temp. before going deeper into the review.

Man...this smells like a bourbon bomb. Tons of oaky booziness drift into your nostrils. It's hard to tell if anything else is present, but I think I can pick up some roasted malts and black coffee lingering around in the background.

My first sip confirms what my nose told me...a smack in the palate with bourbon. This is like KBS on the Barry Bonds juice. Believe it or not, the bourbon and alcohol peek in the middle of the taster and the finish is rather mellow...chocolate and fresh roasted coffee...smooth...right before the burn of the booze kicks back in.

Thick and rich...almost chewy. Very little carbonation...with a dry finish.

What a great offering. Super complex with many layers. Can't wait to try this one in a few months (years) maybe. You can taste every bit of the 15 odd % ABV. Right there with the aforementioned KBS...

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance:

Tonight I decided to use my crystal whiskey snifter that came with my Sam Adams Utopias bottle. This baby is perfect for catching all the small nuances from the aroma and even opens up the beer a lot more than a normal goblet, and not to mention its really classy looking. As I pried off the cap on this twelve ounce bottle there was just a faint hiss that leaked out and that was it, nothing real loud or noticeable. On the pour I decided to go straight on and try to entice a thick head since it is very high ABV and syrupy looking. When I was done I was left with just a tiny spotty head that faded away quite quickly, but it was one of the darkest I have ever seen on a beer almost like a Hershey bar sitting on top of the liquid. As for color I'm getting nothing less than the blackest black you can imagine and this baby is thick looking like a heavy soy sauce. I gave the devilish looking brew a big swirl and got a heavy amount of lacing which crawls down the walls of my glass slowly.

Smell:

Right now my glass is at arm's reach on the coffee table and I can get a clear bouquet of bourbon and dark cocoa from here without even trying. As I reach for it and bring it in closer the bourbon gets bigger and bigger with vanilla shooting through, and mocha like coffee swirling around the nose. For being 15% ABV it really hides the alcohol heat well, and in the finish I'm getting a large amount of dark fudge chocolate (like the kind you get smothered all over your favorite ice cream). Slight ash and tobacco with just a touch of vanilla rounds out the whole package.

Taste:

Whoa, this is almost like I fell into the dark chocolate mixing tank at the Hershey plant. Very roasty and full of black malts that almost make this beer have a slight dryness up front. I am searching for the alcohol but can't pull out a drop, this baby is as smooth as it gets almost flirting with too drinkable. Sweet vanilla and oak start to come through as the glass gets a little warmer, and then comes the bourbon punch I was waiting for. Very thick and syrupy which coats my mouth and leaves a warming feeling in my stomach after every sip, I can't wait to see how this beer tastes after a few years. I also wanted to mention that I just burped and it literally tasted like I did two or three shots of a sharp bourbon, man this is awesome. Not one flavor really stands out in this beer and I really like that because I feel it makes for a better complex taste. On the finish, it just melts away with more chocolate and vanilla leaving you with an excellent smooth taste in the back of your throat.

Drinkability:

In my opinion barrel aged beers don't come much better than this, big and bold with such complexity and such a smooth flavor. This is a perfect candidate for aging and will make for a great nightcap and I can only see this getting better and better. Well it's not an everyday kind of beer, but that being said this stuff is super complex and a true whiskey bomb. Not for the faint of heart but if you like em from the barrel this one is for you. If you come across this beer I'd say grab one for now and to age because this is a great beer for the long haul.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to dpuia for sharing a bottle on 3/14/11.

A - Emerged from the ominous-looking bottle as an oily, jet black liquid with a burnt nougat-colored crown that was quick to recede, leaving behind some clear, gelatinous oozings down the sides of the glass.

S - Huge chocolate aroma (think Belgian chocolate or baker's chocolate... ganache, maybe?) with plenty of roasted malt thrown in for good measure. Alcohol is kept at bay by the hefty chocolate presence, but that's not to say that the aroma is too sweet, either. Subtle vanilla and bourbon notes round out the equasion.

T - Again, dark chocolate dominates the flavor, although the assertive (slightly burnt) roast of the coffee character is a bit more apparent in the flavor compared to the aroma. Finish is moderately bitter with residual sweetness and some oaky astringency in the backend, but the alcohol presence still remains nowhere to be found, as if it was playing hide and seek with me! Instead, the bourbon character adds a hint of tanginess rather than heat.

M - Thick and viscous with a pretty heavyweight yet slick mouthfeel overall. Carbonation is quite subtle. Finishes bittersweet with some oaky astringency on the palate, which lends some dryness, and just an inkling of alcohol beef despite its mammoth 15% ABV.

D - Yeah, Black Magick is bold, intense and thick as motor oil, but I really can't believe this is a 15% ABV Imperial Stout! This is how World Wide Stout should drink (even though there's an extra 3% ABV in there). But damn, this is definitely a supper, albeit a tasty-ass one!

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle poured inot 2 snifters. The pour is jet black, light tan head. The aroma is very nice, oak, vanilla, sweet malts and a pleasant amount of bourbon. The flavors meld nicely in this one. The bourbon and oak complement the sweet malt well. It has a nice warming bourbon finish. The body is full, carbonation is adequete, and it has a creamy feel to it. A great BA beer, highly recomend it.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a thick viscous motor oil looking black with a extremely small tan foam head that quickly dissipates. There is some lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate, vanilla, molasses, bourbon and some alcohol.

T: Starts off with a large amount of chocolate and vanilla flavors. The middle brings more of the chocolate, vanilla flavors but has the added bourbon and molasses taste. It finishes with a slight hint of alcohol.

M: A robust full body that leaves a slightly creamy taste on the palate along with a small alcohol flavor.

D; At 15% this is a slow sipper, good for those crisp cold evenings. One of the better Double Imp Stouts I have had. Certainly worth the price. Would seek this out again and again.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally. Since I started this hobby/lifestyle that is craft beer, I have been aching to get my hands on this beer. That time has arrived!

12 oz. bottle from the latest release into a snifter...

A - Pours as dark as you can guess a big bad stout would be. Dark black and oily pour that produces a small brown colored head. A light mocha colored collar forms as the head that did form receded quite quickly.

S - Wow. LOTS of chocolate; way more than I would have thought this would have. Bourbon and some ever so slight vanilla right behind that. Syrupy molasses and a toffee/caramel presence is also detectable. Alcohol is detecable in the nose for sure, and for the style and what the beer is supposed to be, it is not offensive.

T - Molasses, dark toffee, and lots of chocolate all covered in a bourbon-y deliciousness. Some sweet vanilla and oak is noticeable but far behind the scenes. Roasted malt and alcohol heat are on the backend and really brings it all together.

M - Very low carbonation as expected. Surprisingly lighter than I expected, but still a nice smooth, velvet like feel on the palate. A little thicker body might have made this one even more sublime.

D - BIG, serious beer. And was ridic awesome to finally try. Gonna put a few of these away for quiiite a while to see what happens. I can pnly see them getting better and better. I haven't been this surprised by how good a -bal beer is since BA Blackout Stout. PA making it happen!

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Grabbed this at House of 1000 Beers.

A: Black pour with a really nice brown head. No retention tho, very thin ring forms around the edges and laces only a bit.

S: Hints of Bourbon, lots of chocolate though. Really can't wait to delve into this one. A little boozy and metallic, but not in an entirely bad way.

T: Bourbon up front, followed by tons of delicious chocolate, and only a hint of alcohol. Vanilla and some roastiness on the backend. I enjoyed this more than a few Bourbon aged beers I've had, Dark Intrigue among others. But not quite on the level of Eclipse.

MF: Very heavy bodied, some creaminess. Very dry backend and seemingly a good amount of carbonation

D: Wow 15%. You seriously can't tell. This is the deciding factor for this one. Extremely high ABV and really delicious. One of the top notch Bourbon aged beers on the market. A true rarity from a wonderfully small PA brewery.

12oz bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip. Big thanks to JAHMUR for sharing this bad boy.

A: Black (surprise surprise) with orange around the edges under a fine layer of off-white head. Pretty good retention for the strength: i.e., a ring. Not bad at all.

S: Deep, intense aromas of chocolate, molasses, and solventy booze. Huge and enjoyable, if a bit over the top (and a bit lacking in clear barrel influence).

T: Opens with molasses, toffee, dark, chocolate, and spicy booze. Some bourbon + oak are present as well, but nail polish remover asserts its dominance. I like it, but it's definitely on the harsh side.

M: Surprisingly light, with decent, soft carbonation. Nice.

D: Pretty good for the strength, actually. There's so much going on that I want to keep drinking it.

Notes: As far as 15% monsters go, this one is fairly forgettable. I would have liked more bourbon and oak, as well as slightly less solvent. I would definitely buy a bottle or two of this if I had the chance, though, as I think it could be really tasty in about 4 or 5 years...

Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

Glad to get my hands on some of this beer. A big fan of BBVD, so this was a must try.
Pours a oily, jet black with a thin layer of light brown head. Lacing is thin and spotty...not surprising for the style.
Aroma is wonderful with a boat load of bourbon and vanilla. Lot of dark chocolate too. The alcohol is noticeable too, but at 15.5% abv, I'm not too concerned.
Taste is fantastic. A real standout in the handful of barrel aged imperial stouts I have had the pleasure of sampling lately. Bourbon? Check...also, a big presence of bitter dark chocolate up front. Less vanilla in the flavor versus the nose and the heat is there too, but as much as it is detected, the mouthfeel is velvet and I find myself wanting another 12oz. after this. I won't do it knowing the abv, but for the high octane, I still find the drinkability decent for the punch this one packs. So glad to find this local gem, as it is everything I could have hoped for and more.

Apppearance- very black with no head at all

Smell-all bourbon all the time

Taste-I am not a fan of barrel aged beers but there sure are a lot of them out there this one is right there with the best but not really my style

Mouthfeel-smooth and not overpowering

Drinkability- very easy drinker but I am getting tired of this style

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first had this beer at Aaron's suggesting at Mister Bones in Greensburg 2 years ago. I poo-pooed it and took one home to be nice. After opening it and sipping my first sip, couldn't get to the phone fast enough to try to secure more of it. alas it was all gone, into the ether to appear a few years later like Brigadoon. Mythical and wondrous in its nature.

Here it is 3 years later and - as vowed - I am sitting on a supply of the new batch. It's a thunderstorm as I crack the first bottle. (Literally, the first lightning of the Spring)

Dark, inky, black - the best aspect of the appearance is the dark tan head. It doesn't even seem friendly in any way. This is the best named beer around. This truly is magical.

But taste is where Matt just kills all competition. Just when you were expecting yet another stout in a barrel - the complexity of this brew just surpasses all expectations.

Boozy aroma, dark, dark, DARK fruits and malt. the bourbon is actually SUBTLE. Vanilla and silk. Taste is all malt and brown sugar. Heady but not overly so. A dozen top shelf breweries could take a lesson.

It's the best of ALL worlds. A barrel aged stout that is light enough to drink more than one of and to enjoy, not just to say you did it. And it's easy to eat with. I don't know how he does it. But he does it. It must be Black. Magick.

(spooooky)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Tried at a UPick6 tasting of Voodoo Brewery. Heavy black body with a thin chocolate colored head, disappeared quickly. Intense aroma of Chocolate, oak, coffee, molasses and whiskey. Amazing aromatic complexity. The taste is Rich chocolate, bitter espresso, and molasses up front, with brown sugar and caramel in the middle, ending with a long oak and whiskey aftertaste. Unbelievable. They said bottles were available for sale...I never found them. Dammit. I will hunt this one down. Alcohol was a little too much for me, but I would let this sit for yrs.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz into a tulip glass. Shared by two people.

Pours a pitch black liquid with no discernable head. Expected for something that is so high in abv.

Nose is initially strong with bourbon notes and then melds into a bourbon/oaky character. Lots of earthiness in there as well.

The taste is slightly unsettling. There are so many pronounced flavors going on and none seem to work together very well. Lots of bourbon, lots of oak, lots of chocolate. No real balance going on here.

The mouth feel is ok, low carbo but enough to make it somewhat enjoyable.

Overall, I think Voodoo could do with lowering the abv to make the flavors come together more.

2.9/5  rDev -31%

From notes:

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a two finger, frothy dark mocha head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

Roasted chocolate malt aroma with a slightly acrid character. Hints of roasted coffee bean, burnt toast and a huge bourbon presence. The barrel aging gives off a dominant bourbon presence as well as some earthy oak and vanilla.

Chewy medium body with roasted chocolate malt, sweet alcohol notes and a huge bourbon flavor. This beer is almost a complete bourbon bomb and needs a lot of time t mellow out. There is some slight roasted malt, chocolate and toffee. Unfortunately this is overpowered by the overbearing bourbon/booze presence. Subtle hints of earthy oak and vanilla but overall this beer is kind of a one dimensional mess at this stage.

Black Magick from Voodoo Brewery