Black Magick | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This is an Imperial Stout that is of great strength and complexity. We then gently age that beer in Elaigh Craig 13 1/2 year old Bourbon Barrels for 6 months to 1 yr. and then primed and bottled to bottle condition for continued aging and celler life. Black Magick should be able to be aged up to about 5 years, to heighten the complexity and smooth nature of this beer.

First Black Magick brewed in Feb 2007. Released 2009. = 15% ABV

Second Black Magick brewed in 2009 and released 2011. = 15.5% ABV

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

Received as an extra from a generous vwcraig. Thanks man. Poured into my snifter, the beer is pitch black with a small dark brown head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is the best part of this beer. Delicious bourbon reinforced by a foray of rich chocolate. There's a lot of booze and sweetness, as well as some blackstrap molasses, vanilla, wood, and dark fruits. The aroma is wonderfully complex.

The flavor is rich chocolate and boozy molasses initially, with some roasted character and wood. The alcohol is powerful, as I expected with a 15% beer. The finish rich and alcoholic, with molasses and some sweetness. The beer leaves a strange acrid medicinal flavor lingering on my palate. It reminds me of burnt plastic.

The beer is full bodied with very low carbonation, and a smooth, viscous mouthfeel.

4.46/5  rDev +7.7%

Live Review. This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I purchased at the Erie Brew Fest at the Brewerie in Erie, PA this year. No observed "best by" date but could it possibly matter? This beer could be cellared for years I am sure. I bought it for $11.00 and it is the 8th and final Voodoo beer that I will sample and rate.

A Actually a dark brown head (the first that I have ever seen) over an ink black body that also resembles motor oil. Very appropriate to the style, the name etc. The look is incredible.

S Wow, bourbon is in the front of the nose followed closely by a dark, roasted malt. The smell is a bit pungeant for me but this is going to be one hell of a beer!

T Huge, Huge roasted malt with distinct bourbon tastes and a punch of alcohol. I have to compare this to the Big Black Voodoo Daddy (same brewer, same style as listed here on BA) and say that this is much more harsh that the BBVD. The bourbon taste in the foreground and the kick of alchohol set it immediately apart from the smooth as silk and chocolately taste of BBVD. I enjoy this taste as an aftertaste actually but the primary taste is almost too much. As it warmed the taste was much more approachable and the beer softened quite a bit. Actually, it became so good that I am giving it the highest rating.

M Somewhat harsh, like drinking a shot of bourbon really but the aftertaste reveals somewhat of a smoothness but you need to get to the aftertaste to taste it (if that makes any sense!).

D One and done for sure but it is not supposed to be a session beer. For the style and the ABV, it has good drinkability.

Notes: A fitting conclusion to the 8 current beers from Voodoo that I have tasted as this is the most bodacious, adventurous and biggest beer in their lineup. Fitting in that it is an apertif and it is the final one that I tasted. I think that Voodoo Brewing Company is my favorite brewery because they show a artistic mastery over a wide range of styles (that is more impressive to me than having one or two great beers and a bunch of duds). This clearly outdoes Founder's Breakfast Stout and makes me want to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Cheers to Mat and Justin and everyone at Vooddo. A GREAT amercian Brewery!

3.54/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-black stout with a motor oil consistency and a small foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted malt is detectable but mainly dominated by bourbon notes. Taste is also dominated by bourbon notes with a bit too much alcohol for my taste with light vanilla finish. Body is full with good carbonation and alcohol is too apparent. Very well done but I can't say I enjoy barrel-aging with alcohol is so present.

4.39/5  rDev +6%

I got this through my beer club, and it sat around for awhile. This was because of the nondescript appearance, I got it mixed up with some of my home brews. Needless to say, I was very surprised to see this mysterious black brew pouring from what I thought was a celebration ale (at first I thought something terrible had happened)!

Once I realized what it was, it actually became more mysterious. It smells heavily of vanilla and bourbon, I believe this is because its' aged in bourbon barrels.

The alcohol taste was pretty heavy, but what do you expect with a beer like this?

The overall flavor was surprisingly subtle. Looking past the overwhelming alcohol taste, you'll find the flavor of a fine aged bourbon. Beneath that is a deliciously thick layer of vanilla.

The best thing about this beer is probably the mystery of it all. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to drink it again, but I would go out of my way to buy it again just to give my friends the experience. It is unlike anything I've ever tasted, and the mysteriousness of the unlabeled bottle and cap made me more curious about everything, heightening my senses.

If you want to explore a mystery beer, this is definitely just the ticket for you!

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Just about the most mysterious beer I have ever poured with the darkest head I have ever seen; with the high ABV, I wasn't sure what to expect but the head retained for a while, but didn't leave much lace

Smell: Truly the highlight of the beer, with a boozy bourbon aroma along with plenty of dark chocolate

Taste: Very roasty up front, with the fruity bourbon taking over in a few seconds, with lots of wood and vanilla amidst the boozy acidity; after the swallow, the vanilla becomes more prominent, with plenty of bourbon in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; lots of warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: This beer may need a few years of aging to settle down; right now, it is just too rambunctious

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz. bottle courtesy of SteveMcqueenjr. Beer #8 (also my 500th review) to round out the "Motha of all Stout Tastings." Bottle had no label, so I'm unsure of the vintage. Poured black as night with no head and a thin band embedded with tiny bubbles. Nose is a kick in the nuts aroma of bourbon with the merest suggestion of vanilla. Huge bourbon taste; the most I've ever experienced in a barrel-aged beer (it's like drinking boutbon). Also shows a ton of alcohol heat. Mouthfeel is viscous and lightly carbonated. Drinkability on this one was tough - way too much bourbon. I have a spare bottle that I might cellar for a while to see if it smooths out, but this is really jagged.

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

Spied a couple of bottles at my local sixer shoppe, and grabbed these bad boys up. One for now and another for next year or thereafter.
S - OMG the first thing that hits you is the bourbon. From the moment you crack the bottle until the last drop is drained, the overwhelming aroma is the bourbon. For a former bourbon abuser this is not a put-off, but if you're not a fan of bourbon flavor and aroma you can be excused now... this ones not for you.
A- I think I probably had the bottle too cold when I cracked and poured it because I got absolutely no head. Zero. Lots of carbonation getting out of suspension tho, because I'd swear my glass fizzed for 30 secs. or more. The color is jet black, think used motor oil and you're there. No light will ever penetrate this brew. The red-brown bubbles rising to the top had an interesting effect. Too bad the show didn't last. No lacing held to the glass either.
T - Lots & lots of bourbon taste, along with some oak and of course malty sweetness, not too sweet tho. Nicely balanced. My palate is not very sophisticated or discerning so I don't pick up on subtle flavors very well.
M - The mouthfeel was probably the most disappointing part of my experience. With a BIG beer (15.5%) like this, I pretty much expected it to be much thicker. Don't expect watery tho, 'cause it's not.
D - BM will never be mistaken for a session beer, but surprisingly it is quite drinkable. The alcohol is decidedly present but there's almost no "burn." It pretty much gets covered up by the bourbon. Drinking two of these wouldn't have been a problem at all. I enjoyed this brew so much, that I was sorely tempted to go to the "cellar" and pull bottle #2 out, but no... I'll wait til next year and see if the bourbon mellows.

3.17/5  rDev -23.4%

Deep dark black pour with virtually no head, almost looks still in the glass. Syrupy entrails cling to the side of the top of the glass. Aromas of bold dark malts that are somewhat roasted with lots of dark fruits and a backbone that's boozy and has some soy sauce accents as well. Slightly smoky to boot. A bit odd.

First sip brings a blast of big roasted malts upfront. Somewhat sweet and syrupy with lots of fruit flavors along with a dose of smokiness. Boozy accents hit midway down and bring in some big, slightly overbearing alcohol heat. Overly extreme in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is thick and again slightly syrupy. A bit too much residual sweetness and alcohol here. I think this one could have been better if the abv was ratcheted down a few notches. Thanks to autumnaldave for sharing the 12oz bottle, as 6oz of this was more than enough - not a big fan of this one now but maybe some age on it would help.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Got this one from treyrab, thanks brotha!

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick motor oil black with a quick half finger dark brown head that falls to an outter ring of bubbles around the glass. A few spotty legs cling to the sides, but not a whole lot. Let's just say you can smell this bad boy from across the room. Big bourbon aroma mostly with caramel and brownie batter, not much else. Taste is superb. Starts with the sweet bourbon followed by roasted coffee beans and rich chocolate. Molasses and vanilla midway with more warming bourbon. Aftertaste is sweet and, what else, bourbony with oak and dark fruits. Thick, chewy, hefty body...just a big ass beer. Light and fitting carbonation with a somewhat slick feel in the mouth. This is by far the most bourbon I've experienced in a beer, yet it's still not over the top. If you like your bourbon, you'll like this beer. Damn, I said bourbon A LOT in this review. Hoping I can get another one of these so I can throw it in the cellar.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce unlabeled bottle received in a trade with KRAMER17801, thanks again Jason for sending this my way, split with my dad tonight, poured into my new St. Bernardus stange, color is pitch black without a spec of light going through, thin 1/4 inch tan head that sticks around a long time actually, really good retention, no lacing though, aroma consists of a lot of whiskey and having Elijah Craig in the past and actually quite recently, I can honestly say that you can smell it in this beer, also get roasted malts, burned toffee, dark chocolate, hint of oak, and booze, starts off with a lot of bourbon, roasted malts and burnt accents make up the middle, finish is dry with dark cocoa and more whiskey, warms up nicely and some sweetness comes out although it is not much, lots of dryness all the way through, bourbon plays a major role in its taste, there is a roasty, dry, hot, rich, and thick mouthfeel, full bodied, light level of carbonation, taste lingers a long time, could have drank this bottle myself but why do that when it is fifteen percent, nice sipper that should be shared with at least one if not two, alcohol is not disguised but it is not overpowering either, actually smooth at times, decent drinkability, glad to have tried another Top 100 brew, second beer from Voodoo now and I have liked them both, not my favorite imperial stout ever but it is good, would drink it again, especially would be interesting with some age, a few years should do wonder to its flavor, recommended

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Can't get much more of a perfect pairing than Black Magick and Donnie Darko. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel snifter.

A- Loved the appearance of the artwork, especially Dyan's cryptic handwriting on the bottle top ;) Pours the blackest of the black. Very little head, just a thin ring brown head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Strong, I mean STRONG, scents of bourbon infiltrate the nostrils. What little bit of my senses are left can detect a slight hint of vanilla and oak.

T- Initially, bourbon and oak dominant the palate. As the taste progresses, vanilla and trace amounts of molasses make an appearance. The beer finishes with a strong alcoholic burn that just lights the chest hairs on fire. The taste was not overly complex as the bourbon masked a lot of the flavor.

M- Lacking a bit in this area. From such a strong, bourbon beer I was hoping for something a little more full bodied...somewhat like motor oil, just like the appearance.

D- The warmer the beer, the more drinkable it became.

Overall, I'm afraid to think how strong the bourbon flavor was when this was fresh. I think this beer will definitely benefit with some age, as the bourbon will have a chance to mellow out and allow more of the complex flavors to come out. Good thing I have a couple extra bottles to experiment with. Thanks again Dyan for sending this one my way.

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

12oz bottle courtesy of vwcraig. The first whiff is actually pretty nice and reminiscent of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Booze, chocolate cake, booze, alcohol and booze dominate the flavor and the aroma. The consistency is syrupy at times. This beer has good enough flavor and aroma if you can get past the high ABV which I cannot. I guess I juts don't really see the point of a 15% beer when 10% would work so much better on many levels.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my sifter..

A: The blackest, thickest, motor oil of a stout ever to grace my goblet. Builds a furious jet black head that resolves quickly. I think this stuff might melt glass.

S: Pure, high quality bourbon and french oak. Not much else gets beyond that aroma.

T: Toffee, bourbon, oak,gentle alcohol burn, maple syrup, and a faint dark/coffee roasted grain finish. It would take a serious stout to even leave an aftertaste to compete with the rich bourbon flavors in this beer...

M:Thick, viscous, almost feels like a solid. Can you chew this stuff? Perhaps...

D: While this isn't a "session" beer, the alcohol taste is remarkably gentle for a near 16% ale. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and could have possibly sipped down a second in one sitting. For that reason I rate this high on the drinkability scale.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A-Pours a thick blacker then blackest can be with a very thin dark brown head that fades fairly quickly.

S-Vanilla and Bourbon

T-WOW! Super hot bourbon boozy taste. If you don't like bourbon, this isn't for you. Reminds me of goose island bourbon county stout, but more boozy. Also, there is a creamy vanilla and chocolate in the background.

M-Low to moderate carbonation and and good body, nice and velvety on the tongue.

D-Not too much drinkability due to the heavy bourbon and 16.5% alcohal. Truly a sipper. Personally, I love it. But one is enough.

I will lay one down and see what happens to the bourbon and chocolately stoutness in a year.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours dense pitch black with a short lived fudgey dark brown head. The bourbon flavor is very robust and quite nice. There's plenty of oaky vanilla for everybody. The stout seems more chocolaty than anything, but this it very much a bourbon delivery device. Big oily palate with a long hot finish. This is a pretty enjoyable beer, but not a world beater.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

This is one very impressive and complex brew. I poured it into a Guinness pint and it looked like black death. Tan head for a split second but dissipated to almost nothing in about 2 minutes. No lacing around the glass at all. Looks mighty inviting, though, all that blackness. Smells like a very strong port wine, cherries, and strong malted aromas. Taste is extremely complex - grapes, dates, molasses, definitely some chocolate, and bits of vanilla from the aging barrels, no doubt. Very smooth on the way down, no agitation on the tongue or anywhere else. This is one brew, however, that I may not be able to finish. On second thought, there is no way I'm pouring this down the drain.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to bwyker for bringing this to the tasting.

A: Jet black with a rim of mocha head.

S: Boozy begins to describe it. Straight bourbon fully describes it. Some roasted nutty aroma.

T: Bourbon in the flavor rivals the bourbon in the aroma. It's very hot.

M: Too hot from the alcohol.

D: Needs time and then it might get great.

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Pours oil slick black with just a few crimson bubbles, almost no head or lacing.

Smell: Huge booze element, but not necessarily bourbon like you get from most bourbon-barrel aged beers (or bourbon itself). Lots of oak, sherry, figs, raisins, vanilla, molasses, chocolate, and some dark fruits - and definitely grape/prune juice. I did not find it as strong or impressive as Goose BCS.

Taste: A big stout with lots of booze and some bourbon. I get lots of grape juice, some other dark fruits, molasses, toffee, oak, vanilla, chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and warming with little carbonation. I was expecting the consistency of used motor oil, so not thin but not what I expected.

Drinkability: A very slow sipper, probably needs some age. Don't think I would reach for it again, though I have a second bottle for aging. I much prefer Goose BCS - it is both better and easier to acquire. Te overbearing grape/prune juice element really bothered me, as well as that it is more "booze" than bourbon.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Jet black with a thin dark brown head that dissipates faster than I'd like, leaving a ring. Not surprising, given the ABV. Highlights are the color of Satan's heart, and that scores this beer some bonus points.

S: HUGE bourbon. I tried this at the release and it singed my nostrils; it's tamed down now. Bourbon, oak and vanilla dominate, with the vanilla adding a rather appealing sweetness to the mix. While rather one-dimensional with the bourbon really overpowering everything else, this is surprisingly well integrated when compared to my memory of it from the release. Some chocolate, some fruit in the back. Alcohol's noticeable

T: Intense, incredibly so, with an unearthly amount of bourbon sitting atop a rather massive body. Thick enough to choke you, this one's rather incredible. Imagine a big, huge stout and add a dash of bourbon to it and you have this beer. Some of the base stout character can be discerned, the dark chocolate bitterness, the mild fruitiness, and some molasses. The bourbon really comes through, with the oak noticeable towards the finish as the alcohol heat rounds out the finish. The oak is interesting - the nose is dominated by a vanilla sweetness that isn't replicated on the palate. All told, a rather intriguing brew.

M: Incredibly big in body with a soft and gentle carbonation and a warming finish, this one is quite a treat.

D: 15%+ ABV bourbon forward imperial stout. That should sum it up right there. This will be a 2-hour long nightcap and a treat.

Notes: Not sure I'd reach out for this very often. In fact, I doubt I'll crack another bottle for another year, 'cos I like how it's mellowed out in the 6 months since it's release. The is eXtreme beer, enough so that it makes the Goose Island BCS seem mellow.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

In a snifter:

Head is dark as hell. Jet black. Low lacing. Head dies immediately, but this is reasonable due to the ABV. Smell has molasses, bourbon, and umami. Alcohol is obvious. Taste: bourbon bourbon bourbon. Chocolate. Great warmth going down. Truly awesome. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Perfect carbonation. Way to hot to be drinkable, although delicious.

Overall: More bourbon than it is beer! What a great brew, but it could seriously use some aging.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours black with minimal dark tan head.

Scent of roasted malts, chocolate, hops, dark fruit, apples, and alcohol. It's a bit strange, but good; the alcohol isn't overpowering in the scent.

Taste of chocolate, dark fruits, molasses, and alcohol. Not particularly complex, but the alcohol heat is pretty subdued. Good, but still a little strange. This beer some nice qualities, but is perhaps too young right now.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with a small amount of carbonation.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz. bottle courtesy of sonicdescent - thanks!! Poured into a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours an inky, thick, deep black, with absolutely no head - what was there was dark, chocolatey, bubbly, and faded quickly. It's pretty lifeless, really, just sort of a thick, black, dense mess.

Aroma: Bourbon. Yep, bourbon. Earthy, woody, oaky, spicy. There's also some definite strong anise, spicy and woody, with plenty of dark fruits, berries, raisins, chocolate. Coffee covered raisins? Is that possible?

Taste: Oy, this one's intense. The bourbon is heavy, spicy, accompanied by a boatload of chocolate, coffee, toast, wood, vanilla ... whew. It's hot, as well, particularly as it warms, though what do you expect at 15.0?

Mouthfeel: Thick on one side of things, but thoroughly thinned out by the bourbon, fluffy, bubbly, becomes more uneven as it warms

Drinkabiltiy: Ok. I appreciate what this beer is, but it's nowhere near as good as the Voodoo Daddy I just cracked. This one's hot, thin, and bourbony, and though I do like my bourbon, I like a little more out of my beer. Needs a little more balance, in my opinion - 15% is just a little too much.

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. oh boy.

A: Evil looking, extremely viscous pour. Liquid is opaque dark brown, nearly black. As expected for this type of beer a thin, bubbly wine like head of small brown bubbles. Very little retention or lacing but the beer coats the glass and appears very thick.
S: Just incredible, even given my high expectations. Incredibly complex, strong barrel aged aromas, heavy on the bourbon and whiskey obviously. Supported by a strong malt background and slight vanilla sweetness.
T: Very rich and complex like the aroma. Begins with vanilla and oak flavors, in the middle has a light chocolate malty flavor and then the whiskey flavors hit and finish is extremely rich and persistent. Also notes of dark fruit, caramel, coffee, etc in alternating sips. I had lowered my expectations for this after reading some other reviews and not particularly caring for GI BCS the only time I tried it and assuming I would feel the same about this. I did not.
M: Maybe only lacking part of this beer. Very slick, medium bodied, coats the mouth, but very low carbonation resulting in it feeling slightly thin.
D: Ok, obviously a 12 oz bottle of this is even worthy of sharing with a friend, but for what this beer is its pretty amazing. The alcohol is present, but never overwhelms the other flavors of the beer. This is pretty incredible and can't wait to try it aged. However, looking at my reviews I notice that I've rated BBVD the same score as this, but personally I prefer that beer over this.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

a recent score from the black booty bif. sweeeet.

pours pitch black with very little head off of a direct center pour. im pretty sure if i held this up to direct sunlight nothing would come through. lacing looks like im drinking a wine or whiskey. the viscosity is intense.

smell is fantastic. i feel like i am putting my nose in a barrel. big oakish vanilla notes hit me predominately in the front followed some nice roasted malts and a touch of chocolate. oh yeah and i almost forgot. booze. from when i opened this and started pouring i got a nice amount of bourbon smell.

taste is nice. this beer is rich. tastes range from chocolate, roasty malts, and boozy dark fruits. drinks very well.

mouth is thick and viscus. i am practically chewing this beer. moderate amount of carbonation.

I really enjoy this beer. hopefully i get more of this out here in california. yum

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to bwyker for bringing this.

A: There is black then there is this. Looks like a black hole. No light gets through and the beer had a slight gravitational pull.

S: Chestnuts. I don't know why but I kept getting chestnuts. Huge barrel nose. Chocolate and roast. The smell of this beer is massive.

T: Huge bourbon taste. I have had chaotic chemistry mind you. The booze taste is epic but enjoyable. The dark fruit adds something IMO to sort of balance things out.

M: Thick body. This beer really works your tongue out.

D: This is a monster of a beer. Despite all of this I found it enjoyable. We split 2 bottles and that was enough. I could see people having problems getting through a bottle by themselves. I also like the scotch tape labels.

Black Magick from Voodoo Brewery