Big Black Voodoo Daddy | Voodoo Brewing Company

Voodoo Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Ratings: 1,094 |  Reviews: 426

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this great beer at the stout tasting we hosted - poured chilled and refilled in my tasting glass.

The beer is black as pitch with a deep thick cap of beige with a tight bead. The stout leaves a good wavy ring of lace on the glass with a dense viscous look overall. The aroma of dark toffee with nutty and coffee and cocoa with a charleston chew dense fudge-like odor. The smell of roasted grain and mild vanilla with a light bitter element and slight caramel tinge. The feel is great -smooth coffee roastiness with thick body and light bittterness and only enough alcohol to let you know it is pretty extreme. The feel is light overall for the intensity of flavor.

The taste is great to me, mild dark cocoa and slight turbinado sugar with a mild vanilla and toasted grain taste. The cocoa is mild yet you know it has a lot of chocolate malt, just not too much. I love the slight charred biscuit and subtle yet smooth toffee taste. I get a slight fudge-like baked brownie taste and hint of pine or pepper from the hops to with the oak flavor coming forward with some alcohol as it warms. The stout is a wonderful brew, so smooth and yet so complex with superior drinkability and a taste that just makes you want more - One of the best stouts IMO, just wonderful and packed with cocoa flavor -well rounded and well brewed!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black, with an inch or so of light brown head. Smells like chocolate coffee malt and perhaps some molasses. The flavor is awesome! Very similar to the aroma. I also detected some vanilla and possibly some raisin? Mouthfeel for me was excellent, although not the thickest in it's category it was very good for me. Great beer that is one of my favorites. Probably just one in a sitting with the high abv.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, and the only beer I've had from this brewery, but after this experience I'd definitely like to try more from them. Pours black, viscous, and with a thin tan rim. Smells vinous and fruity with cranberry and dark malts. The taste is unbelievably complex, with beautiful notes of coffee, dark fruit, tobacco, dark bitter chocolate, and pine. The flavors are nicely layered so that each sings individually in the chorus of flavors. Thick and rich in the mouth, this one is a sipper- but to my mind didn't fatigue the palate. Delicious!

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Received this fantastic brew in a trade with Mike (Jettanbass9). I asked him to surprise me and this is what he sent...you are the man! Poured from a bottle into snifter.

A- The color is so dark that it would be most similar to staring into an abyss. The blackest of black. Absolutely stunning in its simplicity. Very little tan head formed.

S- Stunning. Usually I give IPA/DIPA the nod for best smell, but this is one of the best smelling RIS I have ever experienced. A bouquet of rich chocolates, malt, and vanilla undertones. Not only was the aroma great, it was pungent. Just filled up the nostrils revealing an incredible scent.

T- Follows the nose. Rich chocolates explode in the mouth, paving the way for molasses type malts to expand. Combine this with a bourbon and vanilla flavor and it's golden. The only thing I did not care for was the coffee-like bitter finish.

M- Would have scored higher if it were a little more viscous. The finish was dry and bitter, when I was expecting something more chewy and thick.

D- I could honestly drink this all day. I mean ALL day. There is nothing more to say here.

Overall, huge thanks to Mike for giving me this wonderful opportunity. It was very reminiscent to the experience I had with an aged Abyss. Definitely one of the top RIS I have had to date.

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big Black Voodoo Daddy from Voodoo Brewing Company