Big Black Voodoo Daddy | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This Is our Imperial Stout that we age in conditioning tanks with oak staves. This adds a classic character of old world aging with out the Bourbon tones. This black ale is about 12% alc. and very rich in roasted and chocolate malt tones. Velvety smooth and able to be aged for years.

all Beers to be bottle conditioned

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Ratings: 1,101 |  Reviews: 428

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Served on-tap at House of 1000 Beers on 5-18-14

A - Pitch black in color with two fingers of a thick foamy tan head, thick lacing.
S - Coffee, massive roasted malt, a little nutty, some dark chocolate.
T - Dark chocolate and bitter earthy hops are main stage followed by some coffee roasts.
M - Bitter yet creamy and rich.
O - Excellent stout, One of Voodoo's better beers for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

2.72/5  rDev -35.1%

wow. I dont know how beers like this get ratings around here because bottom line is ... wait for it ... this beer fucking stinks. then they throw it in a pappy barrel and act like it's humanity's gift? I can't imagine how this could be any better in a barrel, though I haven't had it. ok sorry about that; rant (almost) over.

looks ok, smells pretty good. taste is not enough of anything chocolate or roast leading to a black licorice taste and aftertaste. no it's not a drain pour only because I don't drain pour. hides the abv well, and I will finish it. points for being almost a good buy at $6.50 per, $13 for 4. well, Siberian Night at the insane $7.50 for 4; Brooklyn Black Chocolate at $8 for 4 and Wake and Bake at $12 for 4 all kill this beer.

so, fuck it, it is my own fault since I tried this beer years ago and it was terrible then too. my bad, got sucked in by the $ and the thought that maybe I missed something years ago? guess what? that's another myth around here, palates changing. been doing this for 5 years now; if the beer stinks previously, it still stinks.

most people I know do not like black licorice or flat beer which by the end of this bomber this beer is now lifeless. what is the brewer thinking? that black licorice is a desired flavor profile? overall worst beer I've had this year (2014). and I still finished it. amazing.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle at my local Whole Foods for a very reasonable price.
Appearance: Very dark and black. Just the way a RIS should look. Poured into my Stone tulip glass with a decent amount of head that dissipated to a thin layer of lacing around my glass.

Smell: Roasty with traces of licorice and coffee.

Taste: Very much like the nose. A good amount of dark cocoa, coffee and char. Very pleasantly surprised on how nice this was for an experienced RIS drinker. Nice shot of bitterness on the back end but not too overwhelming with that aspect.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness with a good amount of carbonation that made this a clean and enjoyable swallow each sip.

Overall: This was a very pleasant experience. I was not expecting this to be anything more than an average RIS. I would say that this could really be a great stout to cellar as well as enjoy fresh as I am doing now. Could certainly hold it's own against some of the better known RIS such as Stone and Old Rasputin. Very inexpensive (at least here in PA) for the 22oz. bottle. Worth seeking out if you would like to expand your RIS boundaries!

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%