White Magick Of The Sun | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: Witbier

This White ale is made with a little Voodoo Twist. We use our house Tripel yeast and add the average unmalted wheat, wheat, barley and just add more of each. Hopped evenly and spiced with coriander, bitter orange peel, juniper and Jeremys' favorite spice to remain a mystery. This beer is to be the answer to those hot summer days. Blows away carbonated water!!!!!

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

4.99/5  rDev +37.1%

This Belgian white really pops with a variety of peppercorn, coriander, orange peel, and juniper berries. Full of flavor and great summertime beer.

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

This is my favorite beer, I think it is so good.

Appearance - The label on the bottle, along with all Voodoo labels, are very unique looking and inventive. The beer itself pours a typical Wheat Ale color with a 2 finder head and good retention. I see lots of carbination bubbles floating up.

Smell - I can really smell the flavors that are at work here, very fruity smell that is fully developed.

Taste - I can taste all of the flavor from the berries and orange peel, then there is an aftertaste of peppercorns which to me is completely unique, and very very good

Mouthfeel - Like all other Voodoo beers I have had, they have a very light mouthfeel and very easy to drink.

Overall - Like I said at the start, this is my favorite beer, I enjoy the fully developed taste from the Juniper Berries and Orange Peel with that peppercorn kick. The taste is very unique to me. I will buy again, and buy for friends (especially ones out of their distributions range) when needed.

4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

Brewed with unmalted wheat, wheat malt, malted barley, raw oats, malted rye, coriander, bitter and sweet orange peel, juniper berries, 12 varieties of peppercorns, lemon grass, and caraway. About 6.75% ABV. Fermented with the Voodoo house Belgian Ale yeast. $6.99 for a 22oz bottle. The website specifically states this is "not a Wit Bier!"

Pours out to a cloudy burnt orange, forming a modest white head with average retention and lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is heavenly with a boatload of orange peel, a fair amount of coriander, and a subtle hint of pepper. The juniper and caraway don't stand out in the mix. Medium dense body with a pillow soft mouthfeel and very smooth as it goes down, with a dry finish. The taste is exceptional. I just love this beer. It starts out beautifully with this nice orange and wheat sweetness, then is followed by a brilliant blast of peppercorn. I just love this combo. There is some tropical fruit yeast esters like mango and pineapple in there as well. The carbonation and mouthfeel are perfect...not fizzy and lightbodied like a traditional wit. Bitterness is beautifully balanced, and there is a very subtle twist of juniper in there as well. No off flavors or smells. Impeccably brewed.

What can I say? This is an exceptional beer! Reminds me of Short's Nicie Spicie, which would be it's only competitor or style equivalent I can think of. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely buy it again if I can find it local. One of the best beers I've had in a long time.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

4.68/5  rDev +28.6%

Hazy gold body topped by an ever-lasting, thick white head. Pull out your weizen glasses for this one, guys - you need the room for this head. Aroma is Loaded with fresh coriander aromas, backed by hints of wheat and fruity esters. Flavor is sweet up front, then gives way to a crisp coriander note. A slight peppery bitterness cleanses the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and perfect. Carbonation isn't too aggressive. Drinkability is also fantastic. I hope there's more of this at the store next week. This is one of my new favorites and one of the few beers to really blow me away in a long time. Also my first taste of one of the Voodoo offerings.

4.55/5  rDev +25%

Appearance: Pours a hazy apricot color with a relatively modest head that leaves some lace

Smell: Orange, coriander, white pepper and a sweet dough character that carries a hint of honey

Taste: Opens with a honey sweet but primarily herbal fruity flavor, with juniper berries and coriander complementing the orange; the peppercorn spice and yeasty flavors build by mid-palate; after the swallow, the more mellow orange herbal and sweet flavors return and dominate until the very end, when the pepper make a biting reappearance that refuses to fade

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This one is producing a bar-bell of reviews - some love it and some hate; mark me up as a fan as in my view it is a well-crafted singular beer by a brewer who clearly has a flair

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Hazy orange body with reddish tones. Fluffly white head, about 2 fingers worth. Leaves a very slight lacing.

The aroma is great. It has both pepper and a hint of orange, but the passionfruit is pretty noticeable also. The combination of the aromas is great.

All the trappings of a classic wit are there, a touch of orange peel and peppery coriander are backed up by a little bit of a wheat twang, and the flavor is well done. However, the passionfruit and a slight berry flavor comes through also, and these are great. I was skeptical about this one, but this is a tasty beer.

Body is slightly thicker than I would expect, but it is balanced by good carbonation.

Very drinkable, a great and interesting beer.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Bought a bottle (12oz) of this at my local six pack shop for 3.25. Not bad for a great brew! I had no idea there are 12 different types of peppercorn in the world...

A - Looks like a blonde. Hazy yellow with white head which laces the glass with a swirl.
S - smells of yeast and spice. Slight orange zest.
T - Slight pepper and orange. Hops not present so bitter is not an option.
M - Almost creamy and flavor is not overpowering.
D - At 16.99 a sixer it's a bit expensive but I could see myself buying another single again (maybe a bomber if I can find it for under 7.00)

Overall a great twist to the typical blond and another win for voodoo. I got the Big Brown Ale for new years and can't wait to try it but this beer is easily one of my favorites by Voodoo.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to mikereaser for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy/cloudy golden-orange with an enormously sticky, four finger head that left a ton of lace behind as it slowly melted down to a thin skim and bubbly ring. Loads of suspended sediment were spied floating.

S: The first thing I could smell when I cracked the cap was fresh ground pepper. Peppercorns are the dominant aroma here but as it warms, subtle aromas of orange peel, noble hops, dried wildflowers, and spices.

T: Freshly ground green, black, and white pepper along with some citrus peel, herbal hops, coriander, spicy yeast, pine, dew-moistened grass clippings, and dammit, I can even taste the juniper berries!

M: Bone dry and very spicy. The peppercorns did a spicy little dance on my lips and tongue. Surprising lack of sweetness for a witbier.

D: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a Witbier spiked with juniper berries and 12 varieties of peppercorns, but man o man! What a refreshing dry and peppery beer.

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

At a recent bottle share, this brew was the surprising winner. Poured into the sampler glass, the beer was a nice golden color with a bubbly head. There was something spectacular yet unidentifiable about the nose on this beer. As best I can determine, the aroma was like overripe pineapple, being a very sweet version of pineapple. On the initial taste one immediately notices the high level of carbonation. With the citric notes, it reminded me somewhat of lemon-lime soda. As the carbonation settles a bit, one notices the juniper berries, lime, and the hints of the promised yeast. As the beer finishes, lime stands out in the aftertaste, lingering on the sides of the tongue. I enjoyed this one a great deal.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I tried this at a beer festival and then later bought a bottle. Both were a cloudy, golden color with nice head. I was a little skeptical reading about the '12 peppercorns', but my beer festival version was beautiful! I was delited at how the peppercorns melded into the tart wheat, coriander, and bitter orange to create an aroma and flavor that was unique but truely enjoyable. Unfortunately, my bottled version lacked the peppercorn notes making it your average wit. I did not check the bottle date (or if it had one) but I'm guessing that the peppercorn flavors and aromas age out, so try to get this beer as fresh as fresh as you can.

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Pours a dark gold that's almost completely clear with an off-white foamy head that billows to a nice cap and then slowly fades to a ring around the glass.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a warm, savory pepper aroma. The smell of both green and black peppercorns come through with herbal, spicy notes. A slight bready aroma comes through.

T- Very peppery and very herbal. Green peppercorns and corriander are very much in the foreground, giving the beer a very unique, savory flavor. Witbiers are typically much sweeter and would pair with something very light, but this would go great with spicy or grilled foods. In the background, there's a slight yeasty flavor with mild hints of spice (namely clove). The aftertaste has a slight sweetness and a definate brisk character.

M- Very dry and crisp. Mildly astringent, but not in a bad way. The carbonation feels just right.

D- Goes down very easily, although it definately makes you stop and think with each sip.

4.23/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

White Magick Of The Sun from Voodoo Brewery