White Magick Of The Sun | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: Witbier

This White ale is made with a little Voodoo Twist. We use our house Tripel yeast and add the average unmalted wheat, wheat, barley and just add more of each. Hopped evenly and spiced with coriander, bitter orange peel, juniper and Jeremys' favorite spice to remain a mystery. This beer is to be the answer to those hot summer days. Blows away carbonated water!!!!!

Added by WVbeergeek on 07-05-2006

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Live review. Poured by me into a clean, clear glass from the growler that I had filled September 8th, 2012 at the brewpub. Cost I am not sure of but I am going to guess $11.99.

A Satisfying "psst" released from the growler when i loosened the rather tight cap. Hazy yellow translucent body under a one inch creamy off white head that dissipated down to a single layer of bubbles within 2 minutes. Good look for the style. 4.0

S Nice solid witbier smell with significant pepper scent as well. Interesting. 4.0

T Directly from the smell....a nice solid witbier taste with the interesting inclusion of a peppery taste. There is some sweetness in the middle of the taste lingering about but mostly it is a nice, gentle wheat grain goodness with the pepper. 4.0

M Rather average feel to a Witbier with a slight bight of wheat grains enhanced by the sassy pepper taste gives the feel of this beer an edge. Really interesting feel. It is the opposite of "flat" or "boring" feel. 4.5

D/O Drinkability is quite good. Overall this is a fine example of the style. 4.0

Notes: The growler version loses nothing to the bottle and on tap versions of the beer and that is satisfying given that I bought this growler nearly two months ago.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

I picked this up right outside of Pittsburg this morning on my way back to DC.

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured a saturatedly dark cloudy orange color, with only a whispy 1/2 finger head that died down much quicker than I expected.

S: Spicy, but not too potent, with white and black pepper leading the way along with a slight nudge of coriander and all-spice.

T: Lots of black peppercorns in this for sure. Seriously, if you're not a pepper fan, this might not be your thing. I really liked the flavors here. Along with the pepper, I got some coriander, but overall this was kinda one-dimensional with the whole pepper thing.

M: While I like the slight burn on the tongue from the heat, I thought this could have used a bit more spritz. The lacing was non-existent.

O: The fact that the flavor was my favorite part about this brew is a very good thing. I'd have it again.

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%

Mild gusher after a loud POP from the cap. Hazy and golden, pours way too much head. Thin bubbles recent quickly, however. Spicy aroma with plenty of orange peel and yeast.

Strong wheat base imparts sweetness, lots of spice and orange to back things up. Excessive carbonation distracts me from the beverage in hand. Way, way too much. An ok beer, not something I'd seek out though.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Lovely hazy orange amber color with very nice lacing. Spicy and starts to get hot. The pepper is not understated. Smells like peppercorns and moldy bread. I say the mystery spice is ginger. Or else pepper plus juniper berry equals a ginger taste. Some sediment that will get into the last pour.

Malt is rather rich and overall this is sweeter than most Wits. I'd be inclined to call it a spiced ale. Appley, fruity taste along with the residual heat. A very interesting beer, yeasty and rich like a cousin of Hefeweizen. Spices are distinct but not overdone. A little hot in the aftertaste.

From the 12 oz bottle bought at Food and Friends in Philadelphia.

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a watery looking golden yellow with no head. The nose is a slightly herbal sweetness that reminds me of cellardoor to an extent, but nothing reminiscent of fresh cut pepper. The taste is slightly peppery, but also very sweet and yeasty. The mouthfeel is weak and the peppercorn needs a lot of time warming before it starts to hit the palate. I'm certainly not sneezing and this beer is a bit of a let down overall.

White Magick Of The Sun from Voodoo Brewery