Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout | Voodoo Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2009

Reviews: 76 | Ratings: 297
Reviews by Hojaminbag:
4.54/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Voodoo Cowbell has a black body and only a thin line of brown head. Retention and lacing are lacking.

The aroma is great. Coffee with cream, smooth and sweet.

Cowbell Leads off with some sweetness, a hint of chocolate, and then a strong dose of coffee. Before the coffee flavor can become bitter or too powerful, a lactic-cream flavor comes through, mixing with the coffee flavor to form a flavor like coffee with cream added. Actually, I think it tastes more like coffee with Irish Cream. There is a high amount of sweetness, but the coffee and a bit of warmth cut through to stop it from becoming cloying. Slight fruit notes linger in the background, but you really have to look for them. The finish has some more malt flavors thrown in. So what we have here is a mocha with Irish cream. Although I'm not a huge fan of Irish Cream, I really liked this one.

The mouthfeel is good also, thick and creamy with carbonation a little bit on the low side. Very smooth. I've seen that a lot of places are pouring this beer on nitro-tap. I had mine on a normal CO2 setup, and I think that is the best way to pour this beer.

I always try things from Voodoo if they are new or I find them on-tap, so I was naturally interested in trying this one, and I'm glad I did. Even if you aren't a voodoo fan, however, this is a beer you should try. This might be the best milk stout I have ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Jet black, on nitro with a beautiful latte-colored frothy head. Awesome.

Nose is a bit subdued, but lots of creamy sweetness, dark fruits and caramel and chocolate.

Taste follows nose. Lots of caramel sweetness, lactose, coffee, chocolate-chocolate-chocolate, dark fruits. This is tasty af.

Feel: nitrooooo. So awesome. Has a nice full body and oh so smooth. So so smooth.

Overall: knockout round 1 bruh. This is Ronda Rousey pre-Holly Holm.

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown, approaching black, with a finger and a half of lush cola-colored head (on nitro). Sweet aroma of cherry and chocolate. Roasted malt and a touch of smoke are added to that mix in the flavor. Medium bodied and slightly oily mouthfeel. Honestly, this wasn't as good as I expected.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On nitro. Outstanding. Really.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

A-On nitro tap at Capone's poured into a shaker pint glass. Oh the beautiful cascading nitro pour, Like Guinness, only good. A nice one and a half finger head followed by copious amounts of lacing.

S-A very nice blend of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and caramel and roasted malts.

T- Incredible, like drinking a mocha milk shake. Strong coffee and chocolate flavors with some vanilla and a creamy sweetness in the background.

M- Oh so smooth, possibly the greatest mouthfeel I have ever experienced in a beer. the nitro just makes for a ridiculously smooth beer.

D- Goes down so easy. I don't know what else to say, except I really hope that Voodoo decides to bottle this beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Voodoo- Cowbell

On tap at the Hulmeville Inn.

A- Dark black, thick, with a small tight lacing head.
S- Dusty bitter dark chocolate with a light touch of cream and roasted coffee beans.
T- Thick chocolate malt. Bitter dark chocolate/ hot chocolate with a good lightly sweet cream and burnt coffee bean flavor.
M- Thick dry powdery hot chocolate. Semi sweet creamy body with a bitter cocoa and slight acrid coffee bean finish.

Overall- This is practically hot chocolate in beer form.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

On nitro-tap at Capone’s,a great nitro beer as its best features are brought out. Creamy mouthfeel, big thick head on a black body. A great stout smoothy. A Good roasting, good milk chocolate,rich, fun, vanilla, milk.A good balance of sweet and bitter elements.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at Blue Dog in Lansdale, PA.

A- Nice and dark with creamy head.

S- Nice, very sweet and creamy scent.

T- Very sweet and full of chocolate.

m- Very creamy and low carb'd compared to what I'm used to.

D- Nice and easy to drink.

EDIT: I realize that when I wrote this review, I certainly reviewed it according to personal likes and dislikes and not to the style. I've also never had beer on nitro and I certainly was not used to the serving. Numbers have been adjusted to compensate for the difference between the style and my personal impression. I also happened to have another cowbell the other evening... the bartender served me a cowbell instead of what I asked for and I decided to just drink it again anyway to see if my impression had changed. On my first review I may have been a little too intoxicated to make a fair review of the beer anyway.

Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout from Voodoo Brewing Company