Trapped Under Eisbock | Voodoo Brewery

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: Eisbock

A classic lager of flavor and heritage. This dopplebock is aged for 3 months frozen, then transferred onto Michigan Sour Cherries for 3 more months. We then bottle condition it at the brewery cellar for over a year. This is named after one of my favorite songs from a band that like lager, started out being intense and mellowed over time. Cheers and Ride the Lightning!

Added by bbeane on 06-15-2011

3.9

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Sampled at the 'Sons of Westy' event at the Blue Dog in Chalfont, PA 11/14/11. Poured from an unlabeled bomber into a small sample glass. Batch 1 unreleased.

Poured a clear brown, ruby highlights with a slight head that dissipates quickly.

Nose has a slight malt note to it along with some muted sour cherries. Really interesting and unique. Overall the nose was pretty muted.

The taste was a nice balance of the intense maltiness along with some of the sour cherries to clean the palate. Enjoyable but I was expecting a little more. Lots of booze here too. Not masked at all.

Happy to have a small sample of this but that's about as much as I could handle. Definitely recommended for a tasting among friends.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%

Was lucky enough to have my brother buy me two of these from Capone's as a belated birthday gift. Hell of a find! Poured into a Russian River cervoise...

A - Really nice looking beer! Poured a lovely shade of rust red mixed with murky brown color. great shades of ruby and amber peek through when held to the light. Surprised to see such an inviting head on a big ABV beer. Nice eggshell white head forms about 1 fnger thick and recedes to a cap of the same color.

S - Huge aromas of a nice big bock right off the bat. Nice roasted malts, caramel, toasted grains, brown sugar, and toffee. Some hints of sweet fruits come through as does a molasses aroma. Not much cherry coming off the nose.

T - Nice bock/doppelbock flavors all over the palate. Dark fruits, bready, toasted grains, caramal and toffee. Hints of vanilla come through now too. Not getting much of any cherry presence. I struggle to find it really and feel like there might be some light infuences on the backend. Alcohol is present, but balances surprisingly well.

M - Medium bodied beer that wants to border on full bodied. Pretty nice carbonation for such a big beer, but still about medium carbonation.

O - Not too bad! I was a little disappointed that I didn't get much of the advertised cherry. But overall, this was a really nicely made American eisbock. Super limited so I am very glad I got a few bottles of this! Thanks Matt!

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Bomber sent from a great trading partner (G311) poured into a snifter.

Pours a dark earthy brown with a pretty looking tan ish head that sticks around with great lacing. Smell is cherry upfront with a slight sweet boozy tone. Taste is lacking a little it has a good sense of dark fruits and cherries but it seems a little dumbed down, I feel like they could have done much more with this. No alcohol presence at all. Mouthfeel is eisbock all the way light bodied and pretty carbonated. Overall pretty good beer I just think they could have put a little more into it.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Received this brew from Gibby and have been excited to try it arrived. I love anything with fruit (especially cherries) and I’m expecting this brew to be pretty damned intense. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the Cowboys vs. Patriots.

Appearance- Pours a murky brownish copper with a fairly decent fizzy half finger light sandy head. A pretty decent cap and collar remains most of the beer. Not much lacing but not bad looking considering the booze in this beer.
Smell- Sort of bready with a fair amount of caramel and dark fruits. Sort of has an underlying sweetness to it that I hope isn’t present in the taste. Rum soaked raisins and prunes juice are really the majority of the nose once it warms slightly. I don’t get any tart cherries but there is a sort of dark black cherry like scent. No trace of the 14%.
Taste- Wow, not at ALL what I was expecting. The flavors are very mellow and well rounded. Sort of bready, almost whole wheat like as the maltiness really comes through from the start. The expected caramel notes are there but the beer really isn’t sweet in the least. Not really any of the dark fruit I got in the nose and absolutely no cherry! Very surprising. The finish is earthy and maybe a touch of lingering raison.
Mouthfeel- Pretty thin as you’d probably expect with a surprisingly dry finish and very little alcohol warming. The carbonation is fairly minimal as well which is surprising considering the head.
Drinkability- I was a little worried about this one and drinking it by myself this afternoon. I won’t have any problem, I assure you. The beer is dangerously drinkable for 14% and although not as intensely flavored as I was expecting (or hoped), it’s still very tasty. Thanks much Jeff!

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Enjoyed at Zeno's Pub

A: Clear, but dark, mahogany pour with hints of red and a nicely sized white heads. Retention is great.

S: Very deep and rich smell. Perhaps raisins, a sweetness from the cherries, dark fruits. Very much like a bock, huge malt notes, but the aging and cherries really end up making a mark on this complex and balanced smell.

T: The taste is not as in your face as I was expecting. The cherries are not a strong part of the beer, and tartness is certainly not anywhere to be found. Deep, sweet, dark fruits, malts, and booze are the main flavors. I was hoping the cherries would lend more taste to this, but they weren't missed entirely as they curb the taste with a nice sweetness on the end. Mix all that in with hints of vanilla, while remaining relatively on the lighter side, and you have one delicious Eisbock.

MF: Light in body and a lower carbonation.

O: As many have said before, really can't tell this beast is 14%. It is dangerously drinkable, and even my non-beer drinking friends who I gave a taste to really enjoyed it. I didn't want to put it down until it was all gone.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Shared with Nick, 22 ounce bottle poured into two tulip glasses. Neither of us are really fans of Eisbocks in general, but the fact this was aged for months on sour cherries should hopefully provide an additional layer of flavor.

A: Mahogany brown with some reddish tints to it in the light, topped with a tight bubbly off-white head. Once settled, a bit of a patchy cap was left behind with very minimal lacing on the glass. It wasn't too bad and for a beer of this size, I wasn't too disappointed.

S: Rich, roasted and caramel malts come through initially giving a well grounded base to the beer. Some alcohol is present, as well as a bit of a medicinal cherry flavor; not necessarily artificial in nature but it doesn't smell like fresh cherries. No sour qualities which I thought I would get, nor hop notes as expected.

T: Whoa - wonderfully balanced and flavorful. It's not overwhelming in it's flavor profile but there certainly is a focus on the sweet malts in the beer. The cherry flavor is here too, especially with notes of flesh and a bit of a tartness on the back end. Finishes quite nice, just some residual sweetness and maybe the smallest touch of heat. I'm extremely shocked the alcohol is so well hidden and virtually undetectable for the size.

M: Nice active carbonation but this has a substantial body on it, more towards the fuller end of a medium-bodied beer. It's a very nice feel and doesn't leave any dryness or off flavors in the linger.

It's quite a testament to the craftsmanship of the brewers at Voodoo for creating a beer in the style that, from my experience, generally has a brash alcohol component. I think the cherries helped mellow it out and provided quite a unique cut in the flavor. Really well done and very surprised how good and drinkable this was.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks Ethan - a 22oz bottle of Eisbock was the perfect way to finish an evening, especially when I had to bike home 5 miles in the rain. Served in a Darkness glass.

A - Surprisingly generous white foam settles to a thin cap and a few stray fingers of lace. Slightly hazy orange-brown body. Quite impressive for the style and ABV.

S - Big bock aromas - nuts, lighter fruits, toasted grains, Whopper-esque malts, and molasses. There's alcohol present, but it's understated and reasonable for 14%. Not getting any of the advertised cherries, but this is still quite pleasant.

T - Again, it's the standard bock/doppelbock flavor palate - dark fruits, bread, malt balls, caramel, and so forth. Alcohol is unsurprisingly present but kept at a tolerable level. Where are the cherries!?

M - Surprisingly active carbonation - guessing this is force-carbed? Smooth texture that is chewy and bready. Finish is pretty boozy and drying.

D - For a few ounces this is a really enjoyable eisbock - however the alcohol content and presence becomes fatiguing very quickly. Perhaps if they sold it in 6oz bottles like Kuhnhenn (and charged the same price) I would have enjoyed it more? True to style, and mostly delivers other than the marked absence of obvious cherry flavors. If you like eisbocks I'd recommend taking this one for a ride. Too bad it's named after one of my least favorite Metallica songs...

Pours a deep, murky rustic brown with a small diminishing off-white head. Aroma is sweet and grainy along with toasted caramel malt, dark fruit and a hint of alcohol. Has a caramel, light cherry, Oak, and malt in the flavor and very smooth for 14%. I seem to have enjoyed this more at a Voodoo tasting before it even had a label. Maybe it needed more time? But still very good.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

22oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's snifter.

I'm digging the not-so-subtle Metallica reference. He should watch out for the impending lawsuit from Lars!

On a side note, I'm really happy that Voodoo is finally starting to break through and get some acclaim. Black Magick is definitely up there as a heavy-hitter in the bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout style, and he's had lots of other hits as well. This doesn't appear to be as wide-spread a release as his other stuff, but here's hoping it's as good as his other high gravity beers!

A - Pours a pretty unique color, almost a rusted red color with muddy brown spread throughout. Depending on the light it takes on a range from near-black to dark orange. Definitely cloudy despite the dark appearance. I got a surprising 2-fingers of head out of this beer with amazing retention given the alcohol in here. The lacing is interesting, in that it starts thick and sticky, but gradually slides back down to meet the beer, so there isn't much lasting lace.

S - At first the nose is full of the more typical doppelbock aromas in the sweet malts with rich caramel and chewy toffee. As it aerates, the more nuanced smells definitely pick up in the tart cherries, some vanilla, and just the slightest hint of alcohol. Overall pretty bready with the more traditional bock nose.

T - When I read that this was aged on 'sour' Michigan cherries, I wasn't completely sure what to expect. Would it be a beer with mouth-puckering sourness or would it be understated. What I get is something in between this spectrum. It by no means is anywhere near sour, and I'd risk saying it's not even very tart, but you really get the cherries in the finish, especially the cherry pits. I have to say I was kind of hoping the cherry tartness would come through stronger as a way to cut the sweetness from the malts, but the way the beer is currently presented is still enjoyable. The malts are still the showcase from start to finish, with lots and lots of caramel and toffee, while the vanilla makes an encore here. Some slight brown sugar and bread round out the profile. As it warms, the cherry in the finish becomes much more pronounced which is very welcomed. Again, almost no alcohol here. I don't know how Matt does it, but both here and in Black Magick he brewed two very alcoholic beers by volume and both hide their alcohol dangerously well. If I weren't told this were an Eisbock, I'd probably peg it at somewhere around 7 or 8% ABV.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with nice carbonation. A bit on the thinner side, especially compared to doppelbocks I've had in the past. Honestly, this is my first Eisbock, so I'm not sure if that's common due to the freezing procedure or not so I suppose my ignorance is my downfall here. Exceptionally smooth with a clean finish.

D/O - Drinkability is high. I will be the first to admit that bocks in general are not one of my preferred styles at all. Of the 3 Doppelbocks I've reviewed, 2 of them scored C+ and C. However, this beer definitely piqued my interest with the addition of the cherries so I figured I'd try an Eisbock from a fairly local brewery. I am satisfied with what I got out of this bottle, and enjoyed drinking the whole bomber of it. The alcohol definitely sneaks up on you, though, so bear that in mind! If only Pittsburgh would've gotten more of these bottles..

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Curt for the bottle.

A: The beer pours a slightly hazed dark brown color with a small off-white head.

S: Smells of sweet toffee and brown sugar with a little bit of toasted bread. There is a mild vanilla note as well as some sweet dark fruits, molasses, and candy/sugar.

T: Sweet caramel and brown sugar dominate the flavor, which is quite rich. There is a decent amount of vanilla. Just a mild cardboard/oxidation note to it. Still some dark fruits, toffee, and a mild toasted malt flavor.

M: The body is maybe on the fuller end of medium with low to medium carbonation.

O: Solid aroma, but the flavor wasn't quite up to snuff. Still, not bad for an American made eisbock.

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

22oz bottle, shared with a friend. Poured into a flute glass

Appearance- Medium head that fades to minimum head prior to tasting. Has a lighter brown color with a pale red-violet hue when held up to light. A honey like viscous swirling is also noticeable.

Smell- sour cherry is apparent with hints of vanilla, caramel, and alcohol. This made my senses pucker.

Taste- Sweet caramel and vanilla with hints of sour cherries. Alcohol is present, but well hidden with barrel-like oak flavors doing a great job balancing it all out.

Mouthfeel- Rich, but smooth, silky and rich with moderate carbonation. Amazingly smooth drinking for 14%

Overall- This is an excellent eisbock that puts a new school take on a classic style. I would recommend this to anyone that already appreciates a higher gravity, cutting edge beer and looking for something that is bigger and more adventurous then your average eisbock.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to sourbatchkid for opening this up.

Trapped under looks pretty shaded brown when in the duvel tulip. Almost bark brown with red spots toward the light, Whisps of caramel colored foam on the surface, no stick. Smell is of a bunch off apple skins with some plum backdrop and cherry liquid. MAlty is a understatement, caramel, no problem. Quite a tame beast for being so large. This dopplebock, while going through mad cold temps, picked up quite a bit of alcohol, yet I cant taste it. The caramel malt and slight tart cherry(pie) meld off from the alc. A whole lot of caramel dipped apple skin. Pretty simple, yet not. Mouth is at above medium, with not to much heat, all things considering. Carbed up light. semi coating for a minute. I think this is a great stab at the style and maybe a few more batches will bring out the fruit more.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Split a bottle at the compound with sourbatchkid and onix1agr.

A- a firm pour yields a big finger of light tan head that settles quickly and leaves a solid ring and an island floating on top. Brown in color with some amber orange highlights.

S- sweet lightly roasty malts with caramel and brown sugar. Lots of apple skin and cider. Mild spice character and some breadiness.

T- opens up nice and roasty with a musty apple skin. Sweet caramel and brown bread. The fruit is very subtle and adds an interesting nuance to the brew.

M- about medium in body with a nice creamy carb that works wonders.

O- I can't believe this is as high in abv as it is. So amazingly drinkable. One of the best eisbocks I've come across.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz bottle for my 300th review, thanks to awesome BA Soonami. This one was allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

Trapped Under Eisbock pours somewhere between a deep brown and maroon. A few cherry highlights manage to poke through when the beer is properly lit. My various pours yielded 2-3 fingers of light tan foam. Head retention is pretty solid, but lacing is spotty at best (not that I expect a ton of it from this beer). The nose is heavy on the bock base beer, light on the cherry. There are pronounced notes of bready malts and caramel, with a solid dark fruit supplementary aroma. The flavor folds a creamy milk chocolate note into the mix. The result is a very tasty beer, but I still find myself wishing the cherry came through a little bit more. The body is full, without becoming as overbearingly rich as a 14% malty beer could. That said, the carbonation isn't quite up to the task, barely showing any signs of life and leaving the beer feeling overly chewy. Trapped Under Eisbock is a pretty good beer, and one I had to try (if only for the name). It's also absurdly smooth/drinkable for a 14% beer. I think it may be suffering from (in my mind, inevitable) comparisons to another fruited eisbock, Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock, and that's a tall order for any brew.

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Dark, reddish brown with a fairly booming head. May have been a bit too warm. Leaving clumpy lacing down the side of the glass. Head is just a bit off-white.

S: Had this once before and can't get over how minimal the aroma is for a 14% eisbock. Smells much more like a plain doppelbock with some cherries added. There is some more sweetness, some sort of honey/maple syrup smell. Smells of familiar, bready lager yeast.

T: Again, had it before and still am skeptical of the 14% label. Nearly no hint of alcohol here. Tart cherries would be nice to cut the sweetness here, but the cherries come through in a more bitter and tannic nature. A bit bready as well. Was worth a revisit, but probably not another.

M: Similar feel of a doppelbock. Caramely and bready/yeasty...(somehow!?) Just feels underwhelming. Would expect my mouth to be burning with alcohol and a very thick body. Another rare beer that doesn't live up to its hype.

O: Underwhelming. I love Voodoo for the most part, just not sure where they were going with this one.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%

Appears a Dark mahogany with streams of co2 slowly rising to the top of the glass. The cap settles into a gentle collar. Spotty bits of lacing quickly droop down into the glass.
Smell is of toffee, yeast, melted milk chocolate, dark malted bread, and mild spice.
Taste is of the aromas with a blast of sugar, intense dessert caramel, creme brûlée, & raisins.
Mouthfeel is sweet, chewy, sugary, with caramel and raisins lingering. A tad bit of warmness eventually catches up like a port. Yum!

2.51/5  rDev -35.6%

Thanks to Axic10 for this beer. I was pretty interested in it right from the get-go. Another metal reference in beers, awe yeah. Poured into a Jackie O's snifter with Metallica (pre-haircut, duh) playing in the background.

Appearance
The beer is a deep, muddy mahogany red. The pour looked like it didn't want to form much of a head, so I proceeded without care. The yield was short, but surprisingly the retention is long. It seems to want to hold a wispy, cloudy covering of gray foam. Some creeping lace (not to be confused with Creeping Death) is thrown up the sides.

Aroma
The aroma is very grainy and not a big departure from a mediocre doppelbock. It has a bit of black cherry skin and Fig Newton. Everything here is surprisingly weak, it just smells gray.

Taste
The taste is just as bland as the aroma. I'm really perplexed as how this is possible. A doppelbock, iced up to 14% should be loaded with aroma and flavor. It should look, smell, taste and feel like its concentrated malt awesomeness. This is really none of that. Cherry, plum and fig sweetness acts as a minor spike to grainy malts. There's not alcohol flavor and not hops, just a very slight chemical/metalic (not to be confused with Metallica) note on the finish.

Mouthfeel
Not as thick as I was expecting, really not even as thick as many of my favorite standard doppels. Carbonation tickles the tongue and alcohol numbs it. The alcohol is EXTREMELY well hidden though, so much so that I'm skeptical of the 14% abv. The finish is gritty and dry.

Overall
This beer is like The God That Failed. Its Sad But True, they need to Hit the Lights and ReLoad after brewing this No Leaf Clover.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

thanks to pitrooney for this awesome extra!!

brought this to an awesome tasting with a few local BA's. thanks again tom! 22oz unlabeled bottle.

pours out a deep looking ruby red brown color with a small head with minimal lace and retention.

lots of rich caramel, toffee, raisony dark fruity malts and bits of rum soaked cherries.

the taste follows suit with the aroma, lots of complex flavors mingling with one another. rich toffee, caramel, dark fruits with some rum soaked cherries. you can taste the alcohol, but it was definatly more subdued than i expected.

big heavy, full bodied, chewy and lots of richness. carbonation is just a bit on the low side.

overall: definatly an interesting beer, lots of subtle complexities. i havent had much expierience with eisbocks, but voodoo seems to have nailed this one.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Scored a bottle from Abe's a few weeks ago and just got around to trying it tonight. The pour was a nice dark brown with a pretty good head till it settled. Not much lacing really. The smell of the beer was very similar to most other Doppelbocks, really wasn't sure how it differed on the nose. I was expecting more of the cherries they mentioned on the label. The taste was pretty damn nice. The flavors of some hearty malts and booze warms the mouth. The mouthfeel was pretty smooth and enjoyable. Overall it's a very nice beer from Voodoo. I still think that Black Magic was there but but this one is damn good too.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

Bottle thanks to Andy poured a nice rich brown minimal head but that's cool
Smell is sweet maltyness and just amazing
Tastes is wow malt cherry amazing anise toffee just love it
Mouthfeel as to be expected is medium to full and nice
Drinkability ill put it this way I'm looking for more

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks To a curt for sharing this one at Jackie os!
Pours a very pretty ruby brown. Mahogany hues around the edges. Am touch of head that dissipates almost immediately. Vry thick and viscous.smells of tart cherry and booze. Definitely can tell it's a strong one. Tastes a bit harsh but what do you expect at 14.5 percent! The cherries are very Nice. Harsh booze and a sweet caramel backbone. Overall i like the thickness and the cherries, the booziness is a bit much but for an eisbock.... Vry nice

Trapped Under Eisbock from Voodoo Brewery