Ergot | Voodoo Brewery

Awaiting More Ratings

Voodoo Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
voodoobrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Cylinsier on 03-10-2013

Reviews by rboinski:
3.87/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

32 oz growler sent by TommyGuz (thanks man!) poured into a wine tasting glass. Wish I hadn't broke my teku!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful deep orange/amber color with an offwhite head that has very nice, fine carbonation. The head is very strong and I am not a rye beer expert but I am guessing that the rye is a contributing factor

Smell: The smell is a bit strange. Slightly sweet, with some citrus hanging out in the background. As it warms some rye spiciness starts to show through.

Taste: Immediate hit of rye spiciness and malt character, without the sweetness that was present in the nose. It has nice bittering qualities but I am not noticing much hop flavors. The finish has a nice rye spiciness. I was hoping for a little more hop flavor to balance it out, but as a rye pale ale and not a rye IPA, I believe this is good stylistically.

Mouthfeel: This is probably where the beer is the most lacking. It has a nice head and a smooth mouthfeel, but to me it was thin.

Overall: This is a great beer to have with spicy food! I had it with a "gourmet" bagel dog and some Firestone Walker DBA mustard, and it was a perfect complement. I am noticing that rye beers are perfect for foods with mustard!

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Limited brew on tap at Voodoo

Pours a mostly clear amber with a white head, good retention.

Notably citrusy grapefruit hops in the nose with some grassy malt undertones.

Citrus hop, more fruity than bitter, mix with a slightly bitter grassy malt undertone, which you realize is the rye coming through when you think about it.

Medium body with a soft, subdued carbonation.

Good drinkable ale, wish it had more rye to it, but otherwise good balance and hop profile and definitely worth trying. Pub exclusive.

Ergot from Voodoo Brewery