Urthel Saisonnière | De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SaisonnièreUrthel Saisonnière

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)
urthel.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by ToasterChef on 02-25-2010

2.56/5  rDev -33.3%

Rusty, musty, metallic malt liquor flavor. Is this the wave of the Belgian brewing future, or a ghost from a faded past?

If I'd poured this out of a bottle I'd say it was old and aged in the back of a pickup truck. It has that flat, oxidized taste. Expecting the skunk. Instead, a surprising and unpleasant bitterness.

This is a truly weird beer. If it's an authentic piece of history with special heirloom yeast, I guess we should be grateful it still exists. But nobody in America would deliberately make a beer that smell like this. Old sneakers? old tires?

2.62/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

While this is a blonde/saison hybrid, it seems, at least to moi, to incorporate some of my least favorite aspects that one can find in a beer.

While is is quite pretty, resembling a blonde Leffe, the taste is somewhat one-note; like unripe tangerine, where one tastes the pith without the fruit or the juice.

At 6.0% ABV, it can be sessionable, which I do like.

The aftertaste is not as lasting as some that I have tried, but the aftertaste to me, is most similar to ear or shoe wax.

To be fair, at first on the palate there is some refreshing acidity. Also, the lacing is lovely, and the bubbles are tight.

I think that there are some who will truly enjoy this beer, but I am afraid I needed a little more hops or alternatively candy ester sweetness, or additionally an unexpected aspect to make me enjoy this beer just a little more. And no, I don't like my beers too sweet either. Balanced and tight and floral are some of the characteristics I tend to cherish.

The warmth of the beer, caused by becoming closer to room temperature, does make this beer open up more, and become more balanced. I find I am liking it closer to it's prescribed temperature (which is not unusual, of course). And as I sip more, the earwax flavor note is dissipating. Though I will not change my review numbers, I will be more open to this unusual beer's flavor profile in the future. :)

2.66/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a VERY light clear blond, even though I see some heavy dregs at the bottom at the bottle. Color looks like an American macro light beer. (i.e. Coors Light)

S: I'm, not even pouring this too cold but there is very little nose here. Slight lemon, slight raw wheat smell, but really not much here.

T: Light. Crisp. slightly malty with a bit of pepper. Lemon. Cut grass. malted rice.

M: Light and bubbly lick a nice crisp champagne. No real head. The high carbonation matches the super light body.

O: At $4 for a 11 oz bottle this was very underwhelming. It honestly comes across as a very complex Miller High Life. Unless under $2 dollars a bottle I would not bang again.

2.71/5  rDev -29.4%

A- Slightly cloudy blond color with a small white head that sits around.

S- Fruit (banana and bubblegum) and wheat are the first smells with a little bit of clove and coriander spice in the mix. Not really what I expect from a saison but not bad.

T- Bright sweet wheat and barley malt stand in front with nothing to really balance it. Not getting any of the earthy or peppery tones I expect in a saison, just sweet bland malt.

M- Kind of thick for a saison, again the sweetness and wheat proteins seem to dominate over a dry body I would expect.

O- This one really missed for me. Not terrible if I wanted a sweet Belgian blonde, but this one really didn't seem like a saison to me and I wouldn't go for it again.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

2.84/5  rDev -26%

Pours a hazy, golden yellow with a white head. Good head retention and lacing with a light, fluffy texture. Some yeasty particles are floating in suspension.

The aroma and taste are neither bad or good. Both are fitting of the style, but are a bit boring, especially for the lively saison style. The nose brings some slight, pear-like fruitiness, with a touch of funk. It reminds me of an old, maybe even moldy pear. Nothing about the aroma is vibrant or interesting, and there is a touch of skunkiness. The taste is incredibly bland. A touch of grainy sweetness in the middle and assertive bitterness is found in the back. There is a touch of fruitiness, but not nearly enough yeast character for the style.

The mouthfeel is very dry and light in texture, fitting with the Saison style. It's a bit overcarbonated, and a little less fizziness would have helped, but it doesn't hurt the beer too much. I won't be getting this again soon, unless I revisit it in fear that I got a bad bottle.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured into a Leffe style chalice for tasting, giving off a darkish yellow/brown with and opaque quality. White creamy head with about one and a half finger lace with average staying power. Decent lacing as well, slight carbonation.

This saison has an at first yeast smell, very faint malt in the background, and a very hidden almost macro corn/alcohol like smell in the end. Bouquet though is kind of a chewyness that hangs in the air not as really aromatic for a saison, light aromas nevertheless. Grass is also apparent sometimes.

Taste is odd, for a 6% ABV though the alcohol appears very forward and extremely predominant as the first taste. At only 6 it masks everything smelled before it, but does finish with a nice but not too powerful lime bitterness and not from any hops. The alcohol domination I feel is weird cause it's still low at six.

Mouthfeel is not too bad some wetness.

I wish that this wasn't so alcohol forward or at least masked better cause it would otherwise be even more drinkable but I'll say it's average for that.

3.07/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured in a Pilsner glass from a 11.2 oz bottle, reviewed live.

A- Very thick white fluffy head. Four finger head. Some soapy linger and a two minute retention. Clouded amber color, yeasty remnants at the bottom. Nice steady but subtle carbonation.

S- Grainy smell, wheat and rye possibly? Slight hint of booziness. Some malty and sugary notes as well.

T- Malty and very sweet. Not like any other saison I've had before but very drinkable.

M- Grainy and light bodied. Mediocre carbonation.

O- Drinkable but not all that great. Glad I tried it though.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Pale, opaque yellow/gold with a large, foamy white head and lively carbonation.

Smell - Overall pleasant aroma with fresh lemon and hop with grassy malt and cereal notes.

Taste - Lemon, spice, some banana ester ending sharp hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - overall light, dry and smooth and finishing with scouring carbonation

Drinkability - For me this was an average saison that I would drink again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Pours a murky golden with a nice long lasting creamy head. Aroma of citrusy hops with some sweet light malt. Taste is light bitter hops and sweet nutty malt. Palate is light and crisp with good carbonation. Finish is bitter hops some spiciness, with light sweet nutty malt, a bit on the bitter side. Overall a drinkable brew.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Clear golden color. A very sweet nose of hops as flavoring plants, especially those that scent the sweets. In the mouth, the hops are almost non-existent and the beer lacks body slightly even if we do not fail to note that alcohol is not very noticeable and makes the drink so easy to drink. The finish is very persistent and the slight touch of hops that accompanies it, reminding the local side, is far from being transcendent and spicy touch that emerges is also unpleasant.

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

11.2 bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance
Murky dark gold with tons of yeast fallout. Has 2 fingers of white head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Buttery sweet, Pilsner malts, bubblegum, caramel and lemongrass.

Taste
Has some buttery sweetness and butterscotch off-flavors. Pilsner malts, bubblegum and lemongrass. Maybe a touch of dried grass and Saison yeastiness.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, smooth and oily.

Overall
Not really what I expect out of a Saison. Tastes like an old Pilsner.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

I bought this beer at the beershop of the Bierparadijs in Meer, Belgium.

Poured in my Struise glass this beer looks normal but with five fingers head there is a bit of a difference. Yellow fluid with some carbonation. The beer feels like you are drinking a whitebeer. Dry and crisp.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Urthel Saisonnière from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)