Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Urthel Saisonnière | De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)

Urthel SaisonnièreUrthel Saisonnière
3.83/5
Very Good
Urthel SaisonnièreUrthel Saisonnière

De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)
urthel.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by ToasterChef on 02-25-2010

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Smell like wood, pine, sea breeze and rosin. Dense and rich, dirty white foam. Refreshing and strong. First grejpfrut and tobacco, later roses, touch of smoke and wine. Salty and sour at the same time.Goes well with food, but sour after dessert. Very good.

2.62/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

While this is a blonde/saison hybrid, it seems, at least to moi, to incorporate some of my least favorite aspects that one can find in a beer.

While is is quite pretty, resembling a blonde Leffe, the taste is somewhat one-note; like unripe tangerine, where one tastes the pith without the fruit or the juice.

At 6.0% ABV, it can be sessionable, which I do like.

The aftertaste is not as lasting as some that I have tried, but the aftertaste to me, is most similar to ear or shoe wax.

To be fair, at first on the palate there is some refreshing acidity. Also, the lacing is lovely, and the bubbles are tight.

I think that there are some who will truly enjoy this beer, but I am afraid I needed a little more hops or alternatively candy ester sweetness, or additionally an unexpected aspect to make me enjoy this beer just a little more. And no, I don't like my beers too sweet either. Balanced and tight and floral are some of the characteristics I tend to cherish.

The warmth of the beer, caused by becoming closer to room temperature, does make this beer open up more, and become more balanced. I find I am liking it closer to it's prescribed temperature (which is not unusual, of course). And as I sip more, the earwax flavor note is dissipating. Though I will not change my review numbers, I will be more open to this unusual beer's flavor profile in the future. :)

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a saison and belgian blond hybrid here, cloudy and pale, but still quite brightly yellow colored, and with a very airy and lasting white head on it, it looks lovely. aromatically its a little curious, more belgian yeast than saison yeast from what i gather, but with a bigger wheat malt base, a slight staleness and green bottle skunk, although this is in brown glass. same wight he taste, a touch of stale malt, but the yeast is the main flavor agent here. its a cool complexion, unconventional and definitely efficient, its super dry in the finish, has really cleaned up any sugar, and maintains a very drinkable alcohol content unlike so many of the belgian strong pales and blondes. what i don't like is the apparent lack of freshness. these beers so frequently travel poorly, or don't end up on shelves until they are already fading. such is definitely the case with this one, although i can see its potential and like it quite a bit. summery stuff i will have to revisit again when i can confirm its freshness.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a VERY light clear blond, even though I see some heavy dregs at the bottom at the bottle. Color looks like an American macro light beer. (i.e. Coors Light)

S: I'm, not even pouring this too cold but there is very little nose here. Slight lemon, slight raw wheat smell, but really not much here.

T: Light. Crisp. slightly malty with a bit of pepper. Lemon. Cut grass. malted rice.

M: Light and bubbly lick a nice crisp champagne. No real head. The high carbonation matches the super light body.

O: At $4 for a 11 oz bottle this was very underwhelming. It honestly comes across as a very complex Miller High Life. Unless under $2 dollars a bottle I would not bang again.

Urthel Saisonnière from De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel)