Vanilla Porter | J.J. Bitting Brewing Company

J.J. Bitting Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
njbrewpubs.com

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Rifugium on 06-18-2011

Liked:
3.5/5
Alströms:

3.5/5  rDev 0%

First had: on tap at the Garden State Craft Brewers Guild 15th Annual Beer Festival, USS New Jersey, Camden, NJ

I'm not sure about this one. Could have been a bad tap line, which does happen sometimes at beer fests. But, well...read on.

Looked innocent enough on the pour: nice dark cola brown, with a minimal head of tiny bubbles. Smell was a bit light, roasty malts, but a bit fruity too. The beer was tasty, with good roasted malt taste, and some vanilla bean, but there was also a pervasive fruitiness happening in there. There was no indication that this was supposed to have a fruit twist to it, but maybe it was; otherwise it might have been some contamination in the line. It was still good, but it lacked some of the smoothness I'd expect from a porter, especially a vanilla porter. It seems like no other sites have any info on the brew, so I'm just going by what I experienced. The raspberry wheat was on tap next to it, so I don't know... Medium body, but a little thinner than I prefer for the style. But again, it was still good and pretty drinkable. Probably would've been better without the fruitiness.

Vanilla Porter from J.J. Bitting Brewing Company