German Altbier | Harvest Moon Brewery & Cafe

Style: Altbier

Added by EStreet20 on 10-08-2009

Reviews by EStreet20:
4.23/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap with dinner tonight. I've only tried two other alts in my life but have been interested in trying more of this style. Was so excited to see this style at Harvest Moon that I grabbed it instead of their double IPA. It was very good so I had a second instead of trying the O'fest. Grabbed a growler. This review is based on my first growler pour.

I haven't reviewed a beer in a long time due to my current lack of a PC. Enjoyed this beer so much I had to steal my girlfriend's laptop and get at it.

Growler filled about an hour ago poured into a 20 ounce "becker" style pub glass.

A - Pours out a very nice deep red color. Darker than copper, as the style is always described, with a two finger pour induced head that's a light tan color. Head stays fairly well, fading to a cap eventually. Leaves a few touches of lacing.

S - Very nice smell. Malts come forward with a good hit of Noble hop as well. Smells like a sweet beer with some nice spice to it.

T - Rolls in sweet with a nice subdued roasty flavor underneath. Excellent caramel notes along with some bready taste. Noble hops balance the flavor out and really contribute to a sweet yet rounded flavor profile. A nice hop bitterness (entirely different from the bracing American hop bitterness I generally embrace) appears at the end of the sweallow and, while lasting, still allows for some malt sweetness to hang around.

M - SMOOTH is all I can say. Nice feel on the tongue. Carbonation is nice (remembering from my on-tap version at dinner as well as my growler) but not overly done to the point of distracting from the flavor. Easy to drink and enjoy and the slick, smooth fell complements the sweet flavor perfectly.

D - Truly an excellent brew. The 6.3% ABV may damage drinkability in some peoples' book, due to it hindering the "sessionability" of the brew but the beer's interesting-ness (Yes, we know that's not a real word) is enough to make one want another sip every step of the way.

Notes: This is an excellent beer, and a style that many (myself included) feel is underrepresented here in the states. When you want something hoppy with a break from American citrus, this is good. It's also a nice fall alternative to an O'Fest, as it has more hop presence in an Ale. All in all, I say try an Alt if you're ever at a bar that's serving one up. Further, next time you're at the Moon, grab this beer.

Cheers (Prost) Everybody!!!