Fall Festivus | Cricket Hill Brewing Co.

good

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by Bitterbill on 11-08-2008

3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap 9/21/2010 at The Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, fruit, nuts and a little bit of hops.

T: The taste is very bready with a hearty malt character up front. Then some sweet flavors of caramel, citrus and other fruits come in. The hops presence is mild and provides a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, slightly filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, it's not a bad beer but there are several others that I would choose first.

2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

clear copper colored amber with a nice thick two inch head of white foam that capped off the top and gave it a nice appearence

very light, which to be honest kinda dissapointed me. What I could pick up was very grainy and boring with big notes of cereal grain very apparent as well as a musty kinda of bread smell. Some light grassy hops There was a slight hoppiness in the finish, but again I stress light as it was really not a factor in the overall flavor. This was truly a malty lager and really not the normal flavor I would expectVery light bodied ale, actually lighter then I thought it would be which was suprising, but still not terrible just neded a little bit more to put it over the top. It did come come off a little bit slick and thin despite having really good carbonation

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

Transcribed from undated notes.

To say that I did not get much head would be gilding the lily. Realistically, it settled into wisps before I had a chance to engage my pen. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber with the haze attributible to my aggressive pour in which I stirred up some of the sediment at the bottom. I did not mind it, but others may want to be aware that it is bottle-conditioned, apparently. Nose had a maple-sugary sweetness underlain by a piney hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of pine hops on the tongue. Finish had the same pine flavor. How to quantify this one? I like the Cricket Hill peeps, I generally like their beers, I like hoppy beers, but I do not think of a "Fall Festivus" as hoppy.

A- nice amber color with a nice head

S- smells like a red ale should slightly hoppy and malty

T- light but good flavor compares favorably to the best reds

M- very smooth beer with no bitterness

D- Very drinkable beer could easily have several of these but alas only bought one

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours amber with a thin, lasting, off-white head. Uneven rings of lacing stick.

The smell is bready/biscuity, grainy with a hint of orange and light hop spicing.

The taste is yeasty - sweetish with some orange marmalade and a light sourish note. It has a dryish finish with a floral/herbal touch.

Light-bodied with somewhat sharp carbonation.

Not bad, but a bit yeasty in a "home-brewish" way. And I'm not quite convinced that a thin beer necessarily makes for a "cross-over" or "session" beer. More caramely, smoother maltiness would improve it, I'm thinking. Not quite sure I catch the "fall" aspect here, either. Drinkable, but something "off-ish" about it that I would want to "session" with it.

1.25/5  rDev -63.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: hazy orange in color with some yellowish highlights. A two inch head lasts a while before breaking apart.

Smell: floral hops and some sweetness is detectable.

Taste: caramel, orange, pear, and a floral hop bitterness are most notable, but there is a bit of earthiness here too.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and lightly dry at the finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability: this beer went down easily and more than one could be had in a session.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked up a single from Abe's. The brewery describes this beer as earthy, and damn, I have to agree. The big, yeasty, nutty malt (and likely yeast) combine with earthy garden lemon rind. The aftertaste of this beer is almost like a lemon drop, and I kind of like that. This is an interesting ale in a typically boring style. I'll do a better job decanting next time, which is to say, I'd drink this again.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

On draft at Tap and Barrel, Smithtown, NY.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and very good sticky lacing

The smell featured a light grainy malt with an herbal tea like hop.

The taste consisted of an upfront herbal hop punch with a balancing soft caramel malt.

The mouthfeel was clean and dry.

Overall a very tasty hop forward fall treat.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

I got this bottle in a trade with jwc215. Thanks Joe!

This pours a hazy orange gold with a 1 finger head of foam.

The smell is hoppy and earthy with the hops winning out....quite bitter nose overall. Oh, and it also has some corn notes that reminds me of a typical macro. Not the best nose...

The taste starts off bitter, can't say it's of citrus or pine or grass, just bitter. I get some earthy malt tones and a strange feeling of some funk and..yeast?? Weird. The finish is bitter but again, it's a weird bitterness and the aftertaste lingers on a bit too much.

The mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation borders on high. Head retention is good and there's some nice lacing.

Drinkability? Not too bad but I could do without that blasted aftertaste. For the style though, I thought it missed its mark.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lightly hazed orange amber color with little head. Scent is quite sweet and leads with caramel and brown sugar, followed up by yeasty bread and stale nuts, faint grassy, pine and lemon hops. Taste a touch less sweet than nose dictated and overall less bold, brown sugary sweet, bready, nuty and mildly hoppy. Medum bodied, good carbonation. A lot going on in the nose, less in the taste, just a decent brew.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

3.79/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is quite hoppy and woody, rather like an IPA, with a nice undertone of - yep - autumn leaves, as well as a subtle note of yeast. Pours a hazy amber with an extremely thick, fine-bubbled, persistent pale creamy-tan head. Sharp flavor is quite hoppy, more at an IPA, quite bitter but not fiercely so, with a nice dry-leaf undertone and malty and honey hints. Quite tasty! Smooth texture has average body and good fizz. This ’un will have you singing "Autumn Leaves."

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours an orangish gold hue with a nice tall head.

S: Light blend of spices and hops.

T: Nice blast of hops up front. Some cereal grains to provide sweetness. Real nice balance between hops and malt.

M: Medium in body, smooth, creamy.

D: Good, I think this is a solid as hell beer. My favorite of those I have tried from Cricket Hill.

3.1/5  rDev -9.6%

extra via jwc215

Pours a cloudy orange with a 2 finger, bubbly white head. Some lace, and ok retention.

At first it smelled like burnt cantaloupe and tuna fish. That went away and it smelled like non-burnt cantaloupe with yeast and spice. Smells like a orange wheat beer actually.

Tastes like tangy, burnt orange rinds with a nice yeast finish. Tastes like an orange wheat beer.

Are you sure this isn't a wheat beer?

2.76/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked this up a few weeks back because it was available via the single bottle. I have no idea if this is play on the Seinfeld episode but I've never had a Fall Festivus beer before and after having this, I'm not sure if I'll ever have one again. This doesn't look or feel like an American Amber and only because I've let it warm up quite a bit am I even getting this down...

The pour to this was alright - very hazy, a murky apricot hue, and decent head to boot. The lacing was there but didn't last that long. The taste is very sharp - think grapefruit, rind, and an acrid metallic undertone with a bit of wheat and rye thrown in for thickness. The aftertaste lingers quite a bit and this almost reminds me of an inferior gin in terms of the mouthfeel. Although I love a good Sapphire and Tonic, there's just something missing in this beer. It's probably more malt as there just doesn't seem to be enough of a backbone to this.

The ABV% isn't listed and I've hardly felt it as I've worked my way through my glass. I think that I'm so used to the American Ambers from Troegs that something like this is a stylistic opposite. While I've had worse beers, this is probably my biggest disappointment for 2009 and I'm glad that I didn't start off the near year this way. Only worth a try because of its single-bottle availability and ability to clean my mouth out of any food or drink I've had beforehand.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cricket Hill- Fall Festivus

A- Light orangish obrown with a small light ringed lacing head.
S- Nutty earthy malt with slight pine hops.
T- Malty, Slight caramel, wood/ bark earthiness. A touch of pine hops.
M- Very malty and earthy with a decent sweet hoppy finish.

Overall- Decent, didn't WOW me but it was drinkable. Mediocre at best.

Fall Festivus from Cricket Hill Brewing Co.