The Love | Starr Hill Brewery

The LoveThe Love

Starr Hill Brewery
Virginia, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

The Love is an unfiltered wheat beer, also known as a hefeweizen. It is distinguished by its extremely light body and flavored with hints of banana and clove. A slice of lemon can complement this refreshing brew.

Added by mentor on 01-12-2008

Reviews: 129 | Ratings: 438
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a light hazy golden yellow color. I thought it might pour a little darker but I'm fine with this. 1 finger cloudy white head that dies almost as soon as it rises leaving no real lace on the sides of the glass. Kind of a boring looking beer.

S- The aroma on this beer is kind of lacking well...power to it. I picked up cloves and banana (light) with some yeasty qualities to the aroma as well. Picked up some orange or maybe it's lemon. So hard to tell with this beer. The nose is very underwhelming and could use a little pick me up.

T- For what was lacking in the smell the taste sure made up for it. Big banana upfront in taste along with the citrus undertones to the front. The middle of the beer is a little subdue from any really big flavors and is a little bland. Nice yeasty taste on the back end though and I really enjoyed that one a lot.

M- This was a light mouthfeel. the carbonation levels were a little off I thought and could have been toned down a little bit. Leaves everything coated in a banana bready taste. Alcohol is not noticed at all which makes drinking this even more inviting.

D- This is a good summertime sipper that I would have no problem buying again. Now if it were to only come to Indiana instead of me having to drive to Maryland to get it!

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured into a unibroue tulip, with what I would call a "pinner" of a head, small and lacy legs. At first the nose was the familiar lemon and banana hints I have come to expect from decent Hefes. I was pleasantly surprised with the first sip, crisp and refreshing with a very nice wheaty finish. It just so happened to be that I was in a wheat beer mood tonight, I will admit that I have been called a "Hop-maggot" by some, so this was a nice change of pace for me. All in all I Must say no "Love" lost for this particular beer or brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Cloudy light golden in color with a fresh, summery almost Bavarian witbier smell. As advertised, bananas and cloves standout. If I didn't know any better, I could be convinced that this beer has been made in Germany, and has been produced with the same recipe for hundreds of years. Maybe its the lighting in the room but I think this looks and tastes more like a witbier. Either way, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Side note: I enjoyed the back story about why the beer is called "the Love".

3.09/5  rDev -13.9%

A- Poured an extremely hazy orange with a miniscule head that stayed, but not much lacing in the glass

S- Lemon and wheat with some smoky campfire spices

T- Wheat and citrus with some sourness that continues for a couple of minutes

M- Light but tangy, almost like lemonade but with a little bite on top

D- If you like wheat beers, you will enjoy this. It's not bad, but I found it a bit sour for myself.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light, golden straw color. Very effervescent--tiny streams of clear bubbles run up to the top long after the beer is poured. A very pretty beer, but less than average head retention and very little lacing.

Smell: A light fruity, spicy scent. I'm getting hints of orange, banana, and spices, particularly cloves. There is also a light flowery element to the aroma--maybe lily of the valley? I'm also smelling a nice, yeasty scent, reminiscent of fresh baking bread.

Taste: The banana element really comes out in the taste, and while the spices seem to step a little further into the background, the citrus element is still strong. The yeast and wheat are again present. Surprisingly good taste for what I would have expected.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation, very smooth. A clean, medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. I could easily see choosing this one on a hot day. Very clean and refreshing.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

This is one beer that Icould drink quite a bit of on a hot day.

A: Light gold appearance which is a bit unusual for hefeweizens but mouthwatering nonetheless. I received a light head but I got it on tap too so I am willing to overlook that.

S: Flowery aroma with a light citrus. Orange perhaps.

T: Very flowery taste. Less citrus than hinted at before. Similar to a Harpoon UFO in it's median hefe flavor. Not too sweet, not too acidic.

M: Nothing unusual here. Light, glides over your tongue. Bubbles just right. No more carbonation than needed.

D: Hot day type of beer.

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large white head that has good retention. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is a little weak but does have the customary hefe aromas of banana and cloves. Nothing terribly wrong with the flavor but, my god is it weak. It finishes watery. Something is wrong with the carbonation. Almost flat and this does not help the flavor at all. Maybe I have been spoiled by truely amazing local, fresh hefeweizens that this one seems subpar. It is drinkable but there are many superior examples out there.

4.01/5  rDev +11.7%

12-oz bottle poured into a weizen.

A = Beautiful translucent, hazy gold with large white billowy head.

S = Light smells of the cloves a hefe is supposed to have but less banana than expecting, fair amount of citrus, mostly lemon. Smells okay but is a little underwhelming next to the top of the style.

T = The banana that seemed absent in the nose is there in force in the taste, as is a fair amount of lemon flavor, the cloves and other spices are perhaps just a little too subdued however.

M = Medium body, decent mouthcoating.

D = This is a very enjoyable, easy drinking beer. Far from the best hefeweizen I have ever had, but one of the best American hefe's I've had. It is definitely a good choice for an enjoyable summer beer.

A: Pale straw, hazy, nice white head.. that so far is lasting...

S: A little citrus, yeasty, with some banana.

T: Nice, mellow, ripe fruit mostly bananas. Very nice.

M: Nice body, appropriate carbonation.

D: Very nice. Crisp, clean, nice banana taste. Perfect brew for the summer. I can see drinking this with some bratwurst and sauerkraut.

4.72/5  rDev +31.5%

First 'Roanoke' semi-local brewery beer!

A - First rate. Opaque light straw color, no head to speak of that fades immediately leaving just a ring at the edge. Amazingly, it leaves some lacing.

S - Zesty, clean, spicy smell.

T - Nice! Belgian 'bubble-gummy' taste, with lemony zesty overtones. This is not a bland beer. The lemon comes to the top, then mingles with the 'musty' wheat taste. The lemon comes back in the finish. Finishes very sour.

MF - Smooth! Mouthfeel finishes with no 'feeling' after the swallow, inducing you to take another drink!

D - A wheat beer with character! My new local hefe choice.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a nice, cloudy golden color. Small soapy head that faded fast. Perfect for style.
Husky, yeasty and seemingly sour in the nose.
Taste is rather pleasant and typical. Good mouthfeel for such a small beer.
Wheat malts dominate, once again the perception of sourness. Slight bitterness left on the palate.
Not my favorite style, but solid at that.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a slightly orange haze. The white head rises about 1/4" and fades rather quickly. No lace remains on the glass.

Smell: Sweet banana, clove and bread. The yeast aroma reminds me of a Belgian strain, which it probably is. Very sweet. Some fresh bubblegum as well.

Taste: Mimicking the aroma, there's a lot of wheat, banana and Belgian yeast. Reminds me of fresh banana bread with the nice amount of chewiness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, juicy, bready, spicy and very Hefe-esque. No alcohol feeling anywhere. Smooth, easy to drink, medium body, awesome.

Drinkability: A delicious and refreshing beer. I could easily do a six pack of these. An all around winner.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a day old growler into a tulip glass. Nice white head, but it didn't stick around long. I didn't notice that strong banana that everyone else mentions in the nose. Citrus and spice for me.

Taste was pretty clean with citrus and sparking carbonation. Minimal hops, which suits me just fine. Pretty drinkable, this could be a session beer.

As I'm one to do with wheat beers, I added a bit of lemon and the result was pretty good. I think I prefer it with the hit of a small lemon wedge.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Thin fizzy white head quickly fades leaving a thin veil of delicate lacing... Hazy medium golden straw color with a faint glowing orange hue... Completely still once settled...

S - Textbook Hefeweizen aroma, but a very assertive and powerful one... Lots of wheat... Lots of clove... Yeast... Lemon... Banana... A faint earthiness...

T - The taste is identical to the nose... The banana flavor is more assertive on the palette... An additional hint of corriander... Wonderful compelxity...

M - Lots of prickly carbonation... Light to medium bodied... Slightly creamy... Clean and crisp... Refreshing...

D - A terrific rendition of the style... Spot on aroma and taste, the assertiveness of each is much appreciated...

A: Cloudy yellow in the pint glass with
characteristically low carbonation and thus
scant head and lace.

S: The scent of banana is apparent with little
else distinguishing

T: Wack. The taste of Banana is too much for my
taste in beers. I've found that this banana
flavor is what tends to seperate a good Hefe
and the not so good Hefes. The banana is
there in many Hefes but this one is just too
much. This beer also leaves a little acid at
the back of the toungue that I don't much
care for in a Hefe. I really look for the
clean finish in these "dirty" beers.

M: Thin with a little body and a weird fizzy
feel.

D: As I move into Hefeweizen season this one
will bring up the rear on my list of what to
keep handy.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

The Love is poured a cloudy peach body with a bone white head that fades quickly. The aromas are banana esters, some clove spice. The smell isn't amazing but enough to make this a solid heffe. The taste matches the smell with a slight tart thing going on. Plenty of carb leads to a good mouthfeel that is to style. An odd beer for a cold day like today, but I would kill this in thw summer.

A - Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a finger or so of fluffy white head.

S - Smells pretty nice with the typical banana and clove scent along with a orange note. There is a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T - Very much similar to the nose. A lemon characteristic comes out in the flavor. There is a nice tartness present.

M - Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. I could see this being nice and refreshing on a hot summer day.

D - Definitely sessionable if hefeweizens are your thing. I'm not typically a big wheat fan but I thought this was very approachable and I enjoyed it.

3.77/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at The Bar @ Bada Wings, Raleigh.

Pours a cloudy peach hue with hints of mandarin orange, while the bone-white head recedes quickly to a ring of tight bubbles. Aroma is spot-on for the style, full of ripe banana, yeasty sweetbread, clove, and a touch of vanilla.

The taste I had in the sample glass (before I ordered a pint) was better than the pint itself; it was served too cold, but I was thirsty and this was easy drinkin'. A bit of clove-y spice balanced with yeasty fruit notes (banana, obviously), and some grainy breads. Pretty good mouthfeel on this one too, although it felt a bit watery at times. But, it had a good carbonation level and the medium-thin body went down smooth. All in all, a fairly solid Hefe that I'd like to try again on a hot summer day--not the best winter brew, but still.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Brought some home from my trip last weekend to charlottesville, nc.

A - A gorgeous creamy golden yellow. Nice head that stays around for a while.

S - Again nice banana and more spice with a nice sweet malt at the end. Very enticing compared to others.

T - Really nice. Very creamy upfront with lots of banana and sweetness not a lot of bitter or clove at all.

M - Nice and creamy hangs there for a while. Very smooth and crisp as well. Very nice.

D - It is great even in the winter it is a great session beer. Wish I had more access to it.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured hazy and opaque, a solid chunk o' gold. The creamy white head did not display much retention, and the lacing was only spotty.

Underlying banana to nose also features some clove and a citrusy tang. I though the aroma was a tad subdued, but nice.

A sharper, threshed wheat taste with a building bite to start. Halfway through my first sip I was ready to declare this beer a thirst quencher. Banana follows, alongside orange that became more noticeable as the beer warmed slightly. A full wheat aftertaste with a yeasty tang.

Creamy sensation, as other have noted, that is oddly and nicely complimented a strong carbonation bite keeping things from becoming too thick. Afterwords, it did finish slightly thick on the palate for me. Nonetheless, a very pleasant and tasty hefe that is very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

I have had all of the beers this brewey produces and this has got to be my favorite. The beer poured a pale beige color, cloudy with a 2+ finger head that held well. The beer has a nice level of carbonation for the style. Plenty of nice sediemt for a mid-pour swirl.

The bouquet had on first nosing, nices yeast witha grains backend. The second sniff has a nice bready quality, complimenting the yeast. Finally, I get just a hint of lemon zest.

The taste is a nice yeasty wheat beer, with just a sweet hint. A good ht for the style.

The body is bang on for the style, nice and enveloping. This is a nice drinkable beer, especially for those humid Virginia summers. My favorite part, the sediment. Oh the gas, oh the tortured ladies near me and of course, thank God for car window locks!!

This is a beer that I wish we could get in Pennsyltucky, because I would enjoy it quite a bit!!

3.23/5  rDev -10%

On tap at Rapture in Charlottesville, VA. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A hazy orange amber beer with a fast-fading and bubbly white head. Lacing is sort of funny and nothing to write home about. The best part of this brew.

Aroma: Some light wheaty dough notes, bananas, cloves, and the faintest hint of tart citrus. Sort of textbook, and a little too weak in places.

Taste: Very similar to the nose, just, in my mouth. Banana, wheat, light citrus, yeasty spices, some grassy hop notes. A little sweeter than a traditional hefe (to appeal to the UVA college crowd, perhaps).

Mouthfeel: A little fluffy, thin, medium-bodied though, but way uneven. Not as crisp as I'd like - carbonation's a little low, but that could be a keg issue.

Drinkability: Not my favorite hefe, nor my favorite beer from Starr Hill. It's good that they bottle this one though - they definitely need to start getting their product out there, increase their name recognition, and start brewing a few more experimental styles, because as certain of their products demonstrate (their Pale Ale, their Dark Starr Stout), they have what it takes to be a great brewery.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

a: hazy golden-white in color, comes with a well-retained head that gives nice lacing

s: dominant aromas of sweet yeast dough, lemon peel, underripe banana, clove, floral herbal hops, wheat malt

m: medium-high carbonation and medium body, on the full side for a hefe (good thing)

t: big doughy yeasts, lemon peel, wheat malt body gives a light-moderate sweetness and wheaty spice, finishes with a mild bitterness, seems to be on the strong and complex side for the style

d: a breeze, nice hefe and my favorite of the Starr Hill line thus far

standard pint at the Taphouse on Queensway, Hampton, VA

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a dark gold body with a frothy one-finger head that receeded quickly but left a nice lace ring as it went. A sharp, almost pungent spicy smell with citric notes such as lemon, orange and something sour/tart in there as well. Smooth and medium-bodied, this beer not only has decent spicing but is a little sweet from the wheat and also contains a fluffy body. A little crisp as it slides down because the citric notes make themselves evident (lemon for crispness, banana and pear for sweetness), this is a very enjoyable and simple beer.

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Served in a plastic Pilsner glass at the rooftop Sky Lounge in the Hilton, Virginia Beach.
I was surprised to see this Hefe while we were poolside - So I just had to try it.
Colour wise it was a cloudy pale yellow with about a 1/4" of white head.
I was a little disappointed in the flavour - all of the usual elements of a good Hefe were there: banana, citrus and wheat but very muted.
Not too gassy - a few tiny bubbles coming out of suspension.
A very refreshing beer on a hot sunny day.

The Love from Starr Hill Brewery