The Love | Starr Hill Brewery

Starr Hill Brewery
Virginia, United States
starrhill.com

Style: Hefeweizen

A German-style hefeweizen with a fruity aroma and spicy finish.

Added by mentor on 01-12-2008

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The Starr Hill rep for NJ, Jack, came to my store to sample me on 6 of their beers. Unfortunately, I only got to try 4oz of this one poured into a sample cup, like you'd get at any type of Beerfest.

AP: Nice dark yellow and light gold colour. Can't get much a head from a sample cup, but there was some lacing.
AR: Banana and clove the most evident. Some wheat notes as well.
T: You have to like banana to really appreciate this brew. I'm a big fan of banana, coconut and coffee flavours, so this hit my sweet spot. I've had loads of Hefeweizens, including Weinhenstephaner and other Germans, but I've never tasted such a ripe banana flavour on any of them like this one. Think of going to a supermarket and buying a bunch of bananas that still have green on the skin and when you peel them the flesh inside is still firm. That's what this tastes like...a ripe banana. The clove and wheat flavours are also there as well, but the ripe banana flavour makes this beer, IMO. I was so disappointed to find Starr Hill is only sending 1/2 kegs of this to NJ and not bottles yet. I was ready to name this my Summer drinking beer. I could easily kill a 6pk of this before knowing it.
M: Crisp and moderately carbonated, light on the palate with a smoothness that makes this very sessionable.
OV: As I said, I was ready to name this my Summer drinking beer for 2013. Love the ripe banana flavour on this. Easy drinking and ideal for tailgating, BBQs, parties, etc. Starr Hill, please send bottles to NJ soon.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Beer pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of white head that looks so soft and inviting that I'd like to lay down and take a nap on it. Nose reveals fruity esters, yeast, and spice. Banana flavor dominates, along with some coriander, and a pleasing yeasty finish. Mouthfeel is nothing remarkable, a bit thin. Overall this is a pretty good hefeweizen. I'm pleasantly surprised by this because it's by a relatively new brewery, and it's a somewhat difficult style to nail. But this is solid.

2.23/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- pours a light gold with just a tiny head. No lacing. Didn't realize it was a hefe until I poured (only says wheat beer on the bottle and was part of mixed sixer). Guess its a krystalweizen.

S- strange, banana but also some sour apple, sour cherry and mustiness. Just a touch of spice.

T- the banana and spice come through better in the taste but the finish is still puckering apple. Acetaldehyde?

M- fairly thin with moderate carbonation. I'd like more body for a hefe but in this mess of a beer it's probably better this way.

O- drinks like a banana-wheat Budweiser. Looks like one too. Starr Hill seems to have some serious production flaws in their beers outside of the pale ale. Not impressed.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%