Dark Starr Stout W/Jameson Irish Whiskey Soaked Oak Chips | Starr Hill Brewery

Added by russwbeck on 03-28-2012

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Served from cask into a shaker. Poured a massively dark red-brown with a two finger khaki colored head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cream, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, cream, wood, and smoke. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. I really appreciate what they were trying to do here, but this one just seemed like it fell short for me. This style isn’t known for its robust flavors and aromas by nature, but one would hope that the oak chip treatment would add a little something to it. Unfortunately, this was not the case in my experience. This one just fell short of what I thought it could be when I saw it on the beer list at Duckworth’s. Would only get to say that I ticked it if I’m honest.

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

2.43/5  rDev -17.3%

On cask at Churchkey in DC

A: Black pour with less than a finger of light brown head. Bubbly, the head goes away pretty quickly and doesn't lace much.

S: Mostly oak and dry stout. Roasted malt, dark chocolate, and very sadly no whiskey.

T: Very thin. Roasted malts again, VERY slight amounts of whiskey, oak, and vanilla. I think my mind just wanted to taste whiskey so much that I made some up on my palate. It's pretty disjointed, not enough there.

MF: Far too thin, low carbonation, not all that drinkable either. Just not a lot good to say.

O: I think I pretty much covered it. Expected much more, too bad.

3.5/5  rDev +19%

Dark Starr Stout W/Jameson Irish Whiskey Soaked Oak Chips from Starr Hill Brewery