Porteris | Aldaris

aldaris.lv

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerBob on 09-12-2002

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass the liquid is dark with good carbonation. The head is tan 1 finger thick and fades fast leaving some lace.

The smell is sweet and roasty, a hint of molasses.

The taste is molasses and chocolate, quite sweet, too few hops to be balanced.

The mouthfeel is good, nice body creamy with good carbonation.

The drinkability is sub prime, too sweet for me. MK

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

A 0.5 liter bottle bought and tested in Riga, Latvia. I was really worried that I had rated this beer last year, based on my first experience with a Latvian beer -- i.e., drinking a Latvian beer in NC. Very glad I didn't. This beer consumed fresh right in Riga, when it is made, was sooo much better. The trip over here must not do it justice.

Anyway, this beer pours a dark brown with some dark red highlights. Creamy off-white head.

Aroma is malt, date/raisin, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste is malt dominant -- sweet (but not the cloying sweetness of the well traveled bottle), carmely, a dark brown sugar character.

Medium to medium heavy mouthfeel.

Overall a very good baltic porter.

The Aldaris Porteris is another fine example of the Baltic porter style. It is reddish dark maple syrup brown in color with a short tan head that fades quickly to a thin cover. It has a smooth medium body with moderately low carbonation. The flavor is mostly a rich roasted maltiness balanced by alcohol and finishing slightly dry, moderately bitter and with a hint of black licorice. Overall, I found this to be a very good representation of the Baltic style, although lacking some of the complexity found in other porters from the region.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black with a fizzy tan head. The aroma is malt and sweet caramel. The taste is on the sweet side and malty much like the aroma. Overall, this is a pretty good porter that is certainly worth a try. Recommended.

3.97/5  rDev +7%

Purchased in a 16.9 oz. bottle from the local beer store. No freshness date.

Pours an almost black color with a medium-sized tannish head. Pretty good lacing.

Smell is nice and full. A very strong, sweet and bold malty aroma. Alcohol and hops are present with a sharp pull on the nose. Chocolate and toffee smell is somewhat muted by other aromas. Very sweet and sharp aroma.

Taste is dominated by chocolate and roasted malt presence. Relatively high a.b.v. is also notable. A bit of toffee and the presence of hops are also there. Good balance.

Mouthfeel is full, sharp and bitter. Alcohol makes this potent on the palate.

Overall this is a nice Baltic Porter. Sharp and tasty. A nice beer to sample a couple of with dinner or othewise.

Served in the "new" Samuel Adams pint glass, bottle is batch # 1B110858. Bought at Keg Liquors in Clarksville, IN. The beer pours dark brown with about an inch off-white head. Lacing is pretty good. It smells like caramel, raisins, plums, roasted malt and chocolate. It's a very sweet smelling brew. The taste is pretty similar to how it smells, but there's also a nutty taste to the beer. The taste is mostly sweet with a slight bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium, and it's smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good too, but because of the sweetness I'm not sure if I could drink more than a couple of these at time. I like this beer a lot, I'm sorry I just bought one bottle of this. I'd definitely buy it again.

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours very dark brown/black with minimal head. This is extremely roasty and "ashy". The mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated. This is a decent baltic porter that is as pure a representation of the style that you can find. A good beer.

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

I picked this up at a place called Brighton Bazaar in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (1007 Brighton Beach Ave. @ Coney Island Ave.), which is a Russian/Polish (general Eastern Euro and Baltic region) grocery store. I purchased this and two other beers that I have reviewed.

No freshness date, though it did have a batch number of 01/12/06.

I had never heard of this beer before so I bought it on a whim, curious to see how Latvians would do Porter--I did not know, until I checked BA, that there was an actual "Baltic Porter" style of beer.

This is a very good beer! It poured a thick creamy brown head that lasted for a good while. The beer is a very dark coffee color, the smell is nicely sweet and bready with a hint of hop to tickle the nose ever so slightly. The taste is a nice mix of sweetish smoothness (caramel and cream) mingled with a nice subtle hop bite. The mouth feel is substantial, full-bodied, vaugely stout-like.

Overall, a very good beer. Highly Recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Ya know . . . lately, I've just been craving Baltic Porters. Maybe I'm just getting in touch with my Eastern European ancestry, I don't know. But I do know that I love-love-love the style.

And this is a great example of it. Pleasantly nutty, a definate smokey 'rauchbier'-like presence, coupled with plum pudding and milk chocolate with maple syrup.

Damn, there is a lot of great stuff going on with this beer.

Really freakin' good.

I gotta say, I am very much in love with the present cold-spell that Indy is having. These beers won't be as good come summer.

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark hazelnut with some dim light coming through in the middle, and a tan head. First smell was cola, as in coke/ soda etc. then evolving into roasted sweet caramel. Flavor is on the sweet side - like a doppel bock, but more roast. This is like an English porter meets a doppelbock. It's good, but a little cloying as I get half-way through my glass. Finish is reminding me of the cola on the aroma. Any less hops and I couldn't go any further, which is to say that I can't detect any hops except to know that it would be a heck of a lot sweeter without them. This is good, but maybe I should split it with a friend, or maybe just have it all as the only beer for the night with braised cabbage and fennel with potatoes and lamb. Geez, I'm done.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

From notes:

Dark with amber highlights... 1/2" tan head... a good-looking beer.

Sweet and malty... roasted coffee.. grain... raisiny with a touch of bourbon and caramel.

Palate is smooth and creamy... a bit sticky...

Good roasted flavors... maple, raisin, dried fruit, nutty...

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 1 pint, .9 oz bottle. About a 1 finger head that diminished quickly with some lacing. Color is very dark, almost black, you have to hold it up to the light to see that it's even a little bit amber. Smeel is very sweet with a slight hint of alcohol. Tastes very sweet, with coffee and little chocolate in the background. It's strange, but this almost seems like I'm drinking a milk stout, and not a porter, but it's very good. This is very drinkable and I could down one very quickly. I'm pleasently surprised by how good this is, and I'll definitely be picking up some more.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Clear, deep brown with ruby, almost purple, highlights. Dense, light tan head with solid sheets of bubbles that stick to the glass. Grainy malt aroma, kind of biscuity, with a distinctive raisin character. A little nutty too. Mild to moderate bitterness with a lot of dried, sweet fruit and sweet grain. Very light dark grain character (dry cocoa, burnt) that grows as it warms. Well-integrated, lowish carbonation with a refined, creamy texture. A little fuller than medium bodied, but still with a bit of dryness in the finish. Faint alcohol warmth. This isn't bad at all. It seems like they're using special B rather than other roasted malts - that would explain the raisin and lack of strong chocolate, burnt and/or roast. I'd definitely try it again.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

from a bomber off the shelf of my local beermarket supreme, this beer pours dark black... until i hold it up to the light and it reveals a reddish brown hue... but still very dark and hard to tell. The head is impressive and dissipates rather quickly to leave behind a heavy lacing around the edge and on top. The smell is a woody nutty bog of porter goodness! Expectations are now running high! Taste is that of roasted caramel mahogany almond coffee bite. The mouthfeel is a bit flat and bitter at times, but overall acceptable. This is a very sweet beer and I'm not sure I could drink more than one of these at a time, although it is indeed very tasty. I've never had a beer from Latvia before, but after this I am perfectly willing to try another.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Deep reddish color, small, but quite persistent tan head, and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Deep bitter chocolate aroma, with black bread notes as well, rather sweet smelling.

Taste: Opens mildly sweet, soon afterward bitter chocolate and coffee notes appear, these carry to the end of the taste and beyond. The alcohol content was not readily evident.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and full, quite good.

Drinkability/notes: An excellent, very drinkable example. Thanks to Aaron for sharing this uncommon beer.

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

Completely sunburnt right now. I just got done playing a doubles tournament of disc golf. I needed something to numb the pain. It pours a nice brown black color with a fog of head hovering o'er. At first the smell is mostly prune/grape oriented, but as it warms it grows into a real malty type of thing.

The taste however is very sweet with lots of plum and dried dark fruits (prunes and raisins). After the sweet mellows out a bit, the flavor darkens a bit with a sort of dessert wine type of alcohol thing happening. Not bad, but perhaps a bit sweet for making a session.

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

$1.99/1pt 0.9 fl.oz. 6.8% ABV. My first Latvian beer. Pours out to a clear dark brown, but not approaching black. Forms a whipped creamy tan head with amazing retention and lacing. Wonderful looking stuff. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is ripe with dark fruits...raisins, dates and figs in droves with a touch of metals and an interesting acidity. Mouthfeel is big...syrupy, dense body with a sheen on the tongue and a tartness in the finish. Taste is as expected for a baltic porter with lots of dark fruits and amber/lightly roasted malts. There is a slight wiff of alcohol in the finish as well as some faint metals. I don't know where the sourness comes from (lactose?) and it's hard to describe but is somewhat metallic. Otherwise cleanly fermented. Tobacco and prunes in the finish. Makes my mouth feel like I just smoked a cigarette.

This is a very good Baltic porter, especially considering the price. On the cheap, I'll still stick with Lion Stout (which I consider to be a Baltic Porter). Sinebrychoff and D.Carnegie Stark are better if cost isn't an issue. Surprised. I would drink this again. Recommended.

2.72/5  rDev -26.7%

Having only tried one Baltic Porter so far (the amazing Perkuno's Hammer!) I jumped at the chance to try one that was actually brewed in a Baltic state!

Pours dark brown with about 1 finger of tan foam. Looks a lot like a root beer... except the head isn't as big and doesn't last very long. The head disappears quickly, leaving no trace that it ever existed!

Extremely malty, caramel aroma. Not bad actually.

Taste was extremely sweet! Cloyingly so! Caramel and malt. A bit of licorice and chocolate. A hint of smoke. No sign of any hops. For a only moderately high alcohol beer (6.8%) alcohol flavor was right out front,

For such a sweet beer, you'd expect a heavy syrupy body, but this was surprisingly thin. Light carbonation, which is fine for the style.

The drinkability suffers due to the extreme sweetness.

I'm happy to have tried this (not often you get a chance to try a Latvian beer!), but I won't be purchasing it again! (I wish I had a Perkuno's Hammer, now!)

Jim

4.21/5  rDev +13.5%

I loves me some blatic porters, so this was a pleasant one to stumble into!

Pours reep ruby red going towards mahogany with a 3 fingers deep light tan head. Crazy lacing & good head retention

S: Slight licorice & choclate notes, probably this beers only weak point

T: Chocolate, alcohol & licorice up front. Rich warming rum notes followed by oakyness & vanilla beans. Finishes fruitty, warming & fruitty/dry

MF: Rich, perfectly balanced& exellent carbonation

What's not to love? All this goodness drinks easier than it's 6.8 abv has a right to! Well worth seeking out

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%

Wow! What a surprise. I have never hear of this beer or even had a beer from Latvia before and this one *fantastic* porter.

Appearance: Pours a dark red brown color almost black with a light brown tan head that is thick and sticky.

Smell: The aroma is surprisingly reminiscent of Kalluah.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Chocolate, Dark chocolate malts. Rum, Kalluah, coffee; blended in a silky smooth body. Absolutely delicious.

Drinkability: I only had the opportunity to sample this beer. I am going to need to seek it out to truly enjoy this one again. It is exceptional and went down almost to quickly to document =)

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Another great example of Baltic Porters. First of all, nice bottle, reniniscent of Rigas Melnais Balzams. Great color, plenty of aroma as well as of natural sweetness that doesn't insult a conscious beer-lover. Exceptional aftertaste. Good with smoked ham, serious seafood and on its own. Cheers!

3.71/5  rDev 0%

Nice, deep chestnut color-small, 1/4 inch tan head. Not much aroma-grainy and metallic, some slight caramel notes. Nice, sweet malty flavor. Caramel and raisens-burnt black currants. Good body-maybe just a hair on the thin side. Very drinkable and very enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark brown with a small, but thick head. Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet smell of caramel malt and raisins.

T: Very sweet taste with caramel, toffee, and molasses flavors.

M: Full body with light carbonation and a smooth and sticky mouthfeel.

D: This is my first baltic, so I'm not sure that I can rate this in accordance with style. As far as I can tell, this is quite different from what the style guidelines suggest it should be, but it is still a good beer nonetheless, especially for the $1.99 price tag. The jury is still out whether I will buy this one again, but it is definitely worth a try.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%

Dark black coffee color, only a hint of transparance when held up to a light. Head is a firm half-inch that has nice retention. The smell is quite weak, slightly sweet with light hoppiness, but that's not much to say. The taste is much nicer, sweet chocolatey flavors with a bit of an alcoholic tang, not really that bitter. The mouthfeel is great, creamy and lightly thick with a great smoothness and solid carbonation. This type of porter seems alot different in flavor compared to many American versions. It's not all that smokey and much sweeter/less bitter. I found it easy to drink, especially after a long day at work. Cheers!!!

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep deep brown color with slight ruby hues to let me know its not black. A finger of ivory head falls quickly to a patchy coat over top. Nose is big fruity fig and light chocolate. Wow. I am digging on it...exactly where I want a Baltic porter to be. Flavor is more chocolate than the nose, but moves to a sweet figgy fruityness on the finish. Incredible flavor. Reminds me of the first time I had the Okocim porter. Feel is moderate with a light carbonation. I would like it to be a touch more chewy. Drinkability is good. Its not something I can sit down and drink a lot of, as the flavors are not something I can handle a lot of as a rule, though they are good. Overall, this is an awesome brew. I really enjoy the balance in flavor and aroma. I'm really glad I tried it.

Porteris from Aldaris