Tripel Nova | Ale Asylum

Wisconsin, United States
aleasylum.com

Style: Tripel

Availability: Summer

Golden in color with a bouquet of fruit and spice, this Belgian style Tripel has a touch of sweetness and a crisp, euphoric finish.

Added by DaPeculierDane on 05-21-2006

1.27/5  rDev -66.7%

THE most disgusting beer I've ever drank. It had the aroma and taste of some kind of smoked, potted meat. Absolutely atrocious. Extremely disappointed!

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Picked up during a visit to Madison.

Pour is an incredibly pale yellow, clear, with almost no head. Nose runs Belgian, fruity, pears, sugary sweet.

Tripel Nova walks well-trod paths; this is about as standard of a tripel as you'll find. Sweet candy sugar, check; sweet, check; yeast of the Belgian varietal, check. A brief snap of an almost saison-like funk mars the aftertaste.

A forgettable beer. Not bad, not good. Just beer.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

3.07/5  rDev -19.4%

Drinkable but that's about all I can say for it. Boozy, metallic and not very interesting. My least favorite tripel to date. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

3.12/5  rDev -18.1%

A: clear, mid-amber color, poured with big bubbles that dissipated
S: deep, full, rounded nose with strong cloying quality, more like a grand cru, a bit too sweet
T: full taste, cloying Belgian qualities but too sweet
M: sweet, needed more spritzy quality
O: overall, just an average beer

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured the bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. Pour produces a hazy golden color, with 1 finger of white head which reduces to a thin color within a minute. No lacing present, with only a little spotting on my glass. Initially the aroma is doughy, somewhat warm and sweet. Later ripe melon emerges with only minimal hints of the expected spice-clove, allspice, and alcohol are present, but somewhat weak.

Taste is better than the aroma. This ale is sweet and doughy with slightly more fruit present. Ripe melon, tropical fruit-papaya and kiwi? However, the spice and yeast presence seems muted. While I'm not a huge fan of tripels-many seem too spicy for my taste, this tripel lacks the yeast complexity. There's a touch too much alcohol heat here, perhaps masking the subtleties of the yeast. The mouthfeel is thin, fine for my taste, slightly sweet, but never cloyingly so-however, it lacks the effervescence of Belgian tripels that I enjoy. The bubbles are small and tight, but lack the motion. This ale does not dance across my tongue.

Ales Asylum's Tripel Nova is a fine tripel-don't get me wrong. It's just lacks the aroma, which would improve its taste immeasurably. The carbonation too should be kicked up. As it is, this is a slightly better than average American attempt at a Belgian Tripel. I have no doubt that Mr. Coffey can do better than this. Improved aroma also might help mask the somewhat overbearing alcohol presence.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to Jeff for this one.

A: The pour is a pale golden yellow color with a finger of white head.

S: Quite sweet and heavy on the toffee and bread. A definite booziness as well as some apple cider. Some musty straw and maybe a bit of spice and yeast.

T: A little bit of banana, bubblegum, and some bready malt. Heavy flavors of straw and apple (and apple cider). Some straw and a light mustiness.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not a very good tripel. Weird flavors and aromas.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

I've had pretty positive experiences with other Ale Asylum beers, but this one didn't really impress. Seems like this is not the first time that a brewer who makes solid hoppy and roasty beers has disappointed me with their Belgian offering.

This is advertised on the neck label as a tripel, but I didn't necessarily find it to have the likeable lightness and spice I've come to enjoy from this style. There is some spice here, but not a ton of the light, candy-sugar, secondary fermentation effervescence I love about this style. It is sort of a straw color with a limited amount of head. Aroma is a little papery and reminiscent of cut-grass. Flavor is moderately malty, a little spicey, a bit boozy for the style, and again a touch grassy and papery. Mouthfeel was more of a typical beer, and not one of a beer undergoing secondary fermentation (which seems typical for this style).

Not bad; in fact I enjoyed this beer, but I found it to be (and I don't mean this in a negative way), pretty average.

I bought this bottle at Riley's in Madison.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a HUGE, dense, white head that has good persistence and laces nicely. Sweet malt and floral hops combine with a slightly banana/clove yeast aroma. Radiant, crystal clear color . Starts with a sweet, sweet maltiness and rich booziness. Builds into a nice estery, booziness, a touch of hop bitterness as this all peaks, and then it smooths (still boozey) into velvety malt.

Overall, not bad. MINE HAS NO YEAST, so that REALLY dings the flavor. I've had this in the years before, with the yeast, and it's great. I had it at the brewery this year, with the yeast, and that was great, too. The same problem hit Bedlam. I had talked to someone at Ale Asylum who said it is that the new tanks are bigger, so apparently this results in way less yeast in all their brews this year. Bedlam was also yeast-free when I bought bottles...[grumble]. A huge knock to the flavor.
I will re-review this once I get a bottle with yeast in it...

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was on tap at Maduro Cigar Bar in Madison. The bartender poured this into a large wine glass.

Poured golden orange & yellow. Bubbles were apparent and had very little head.

Smell was quite active with sweet, yeasty and tropical fruit smells.

Tasted like sweet fermented fruit. The alcohol is apparent here, and sort of reminds me of the bite you can get from cheap yellow wines. Don't worry, this is much, much better. It is beer, after all. Forget about lemons and oranges, this more like passion fruit or melons.

I wasn't given a big pour at this location. I was in a long conversation with some friends, and basically was sipping this beer. Not that there is anything wrong with that. However, I would have really liked to have more to see the drinkability of the flavor and alcohol content.

I had this tripel after having Urthel's Tripel. Sadly, this doesn't even compare, and was too sweet for my palette.

3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, date stamped 12-21-2014
A 3.5 - thinner off-white head fizzles out quickly atop a golden colored ale
S 2.75 - almost no aroma. Weird. Faint floral and honey but that's it
T 3.5 - delicate flavors with honey, flowers, sweet candi sugar, spice, apple juice, mild yeast
M 4.25 - medium body, lower carbonation, exceptionally smooth, alcohol is well concealed, finishes clean
O 3.5 - very smooth drinking, high ABV tripel but it seems to be lacking in aroma and flavor. There are many other tripels I'd pick before having another one of these.

Tripel Nova from Ale Asylum