Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ambergeddon | Ale Asylum

Ale Asylum
Wisconsin, United States
aleasylum.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

With a fury of hop flavor and a hint of malt backbone, this west coast amber is part ale, part sensory eruption, and all American.

Added by DaPeculierDane on 06-15-2006

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

A: this beer looks superb; a dark reddish, brown, and copper appearance; a good half inch of foam that lingers with tons of thick lacing

S: nutty, malty, brown sugar; all the characteristics of a well-made amber ale

T: this is a nicely balanced amber ale; you've got the toasty malts mixed with a subtle hop flavor that together creates an exceptional ale; there's also an almond-like, nutty flavor with some hints of caramel as this first hits your taste buds

M: goes down pretty smooth with a bit of a feeling that you get from other hoppier ales

O: Ale Asylum impresses me more and more as I try a variety of what they have to offer. This is an excellent representation of an amber/red ale.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a golden dark orange body with a white head of foam. A faint hazy but a gentle carbonation was still visible.

S- The faint spice and green hops had a pine note in the background.

T- The taste of dry pale malt had a light toasted malt flavor to it with a spicy pine hop finish. I got the sense that there was a faint hint of ginger in the spice but it could have been sitting to close to my friends Hopalicous. The hops did have a nice exotic spice to them.

M- This beer has a medium light mouthfeel and a smooth texture.

D-This beer was very drinkable while being a big beer in terms of flavor. Nice complex malt and big exotic hops this well worth the stop at Ale Asylum.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

I tried this at the Ale Asylum and ended up buying a 6 pack to go.
The head was about a inch high. The darker reddish amber color was quite a bit darker than I expected for an "amber" but very clear and bright. Much more hoppy aroma than I expected but very pleasant, I couldn't really detect any malt though.
The malt flavor was subdued after the initial taste but a strong hop finish. Very different to most any other amber I've tried.
The body was full and the bartender told me the alcohol was 7.5%.
No problem drinking a couple of these after I got to my final destination. But the question remains, is it an amber? To me I would describe it as American strong ale more like an Arrogant Bastard or a Eye of the Hawk than the typical amber. I'll buy more if and when I find it again.

Ambergeddon from Ale Asylum