Contorter | Ale Asylum

Ale Asylum
Wisconsin, United States
aleasylum.com

Style: English Porter

Our porter is dark in color yet soft on the palate. English chocolate malts give it a complex, rich flavor wrapped in a silky smooth finish.

Added by dirtylou on 04-27-2008

3.91/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a pint glass.

2.5 A: Black color. I couldn't muster much of a head despite an aggressive pour.

4.0 S: This smells more like dark chocolate than maybe any other brew I've ever had. Lightly grainy malts with a healthy sweetness that enhances the rich, dark chocolate vibe.

4.0 T: Taste also brings about dark chocolate, but only a fraction of what the nose suggested. Still, this has depth and richness with a moderate sweetness and roastiness. Not super complex though. Still, quite tasty.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. A little undercarbonated, but not by much. Rich and viscous and I imagine this would be quite creamy if there was more carbonation.

4.0 D: Tasty beer. This is how I prefer my porters, with a little girth on them.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle at Jordan's Big 10 Pub, this is a disappointment. I think I'm learning I don't like porters. Maybe a couple years ago before moving to Madison and getting Acclimated to the big full-bodied Belgians and imperial stouts. So I'm maybe not the right person to review this beer. It's just too light weight. I think it's the dark appearance that makes me want so much more -- I suppose if i were in Houston on a hot day I'd appreciate the sessionability. But it's 70 degrees w/ 0% humidity here in glorious Madsion.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

extra'ed by rmalinowski4 I believe.

Pours black with almost no brown, even at the edges. Thin cap of off white head.

Smell has tons of chocolate malt with a slight roast behind it, kind of like burnt chocolate chip cookies.

More chocolate on the palate, very low bitterness.

Nice even mouthfeel, decent carbonation, very drinkable.

Overall a very solid porter, definitely worth trying if you are a fan of chocolatey beers but otherwise unremarkable.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

This poured out as a nice deep brown color, black in low light. The head was tan and faded rather quickly just leaving some light lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer had some big roasted burnt malt aromas blended with some hints of coffee and chocolate. The taste of the beer gives off a rich chocolaty start with bitter lager like note in the finish with some additional charred flavors. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and softer carbonation. Overall this is a solid porter, there isn't too much to fuss over on this one.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Given to me by my cousin, thanks Ryan!

A- Pours a medium brown but sits very dark in the glass. Small half finger head leads to a nice lacing around the glass

S- Tons of roasted malt, of both the chocolate and coffee variety with chocolate winning by a hair

T- Same as the nose. Chocolate and coffee working together with some nice smokey notes thrown in

M- Pretty thin but not so much to make me dislike the beer

O- Pretty well done. Just reminds me that I prefer stouts over porters but as far as porters go this is a great one

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Notes taken from 4 days ago.
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Rich black color very dark looking beer.

S- Very crisp. Hints of subtle smokiness blend with notes of cocoa and caramel.

T- Rich and chocolatey with a smokey twist to it.

M- crisp with a medium carbonation. Somewhat of a bolder feel a heavy body.

O- A well balanced porter