Bedlam | Ale Asylum

Ale Asylum
Wisconsin, United States
aleasylum.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Bedlam! A chaotic blend of Citra hops and Belgian yeast give this IPA aromas of summer fruits and a bright hop presence with a plush finish.

Added by hawks10 on 04-03-2010

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Great beer, very fruity with a nice kick of bitter hops

Ahhh!!!! Bedlam season, good to live in Wisconsin!

Pours a hazy light orange color with a finger of a fluffly white head, looks great!

Smell is pineapple, banana, oranges, lemons and spicy belgian yeast.

Taste is incredible!! Citrus is all over, mango, pineapple, lemon, oranges, banana, lemon and a definite belgian yeast kick in the end.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with sharp carbonation that works really well.

Well I do not think Citra hops woth this well with american yeasts, but with belgian yeast.... WOW this is a beer I have had the last couple years just never reviewed, It is amazing..

They just stated bottling this a little over a week ago so it is the essence of fresh! Bedlam baby, no better Belgian IPA out there!

4.97/5  rDev +20%

As Beavis would say: "This beer kicks ass!"

I've had a lot of Citra hopped beers but I feel safe in saying this is by far...by far the best I have had as however they brewed it really brings out the juicy citrus flavor and not the catty garlic and onion I occassionally get in light amounts...

You might as well bury your head in a fresh cut orange when you smell this....same thing...and amplify that by 2 when you taste it...by far one of the most juicy citrusy IPA's I've had....not much citrus sharpness either...really ripe fruit feel..

So where is the Belgian impression? Fuck if I know...don't care....this is incredible as is even if it lacks that feel.

Would buy this by the case as my every day IPA if I had access to it....if you are expecting some yeasty Belgian style blended IPA you'll be disappointed...if you just sit back and enjoy this bitch you'll love it....

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Hazy, unfiltered golden orange in color, great lacing and a beautiful pour.

S - Very sweet, along with the extremely pervasive smell of fresh hops. It's incredible...almost smells like a wheat beer, but the hops really burst on through.

T - Wow. Just...wow. I always get inexplicably excited for Bedlam to be released, and every year I get a reminder as to why. There's an almost candy-like sweetness here, with hints of orange and grapefruit. I would almost describe the taste as "juicy." Follow that up with a really heavy dose of hops, and this is an amazing Belgian IPA.

M - Wonderful. Perfect carbonation, great balancing, smooth finish and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - I've had a lot of Belgian IPAs, but none hit it quite on the head like Ale Asylum does. All of their beers are great, but Bedlam is (imo) the best of them all. Superb, and a must-try if you ever come up to Madison!

4.89/5  rDev +18.1%

Brandished copper body. Thin off white head leaves sporadic amounts of lace. Huge hop nose of bright pineapple and all things citrus, including tangerine too. Pineapple is the main player on the nose and a nice one at that. Awesome flavor follows suit with the nose. Hugely radiant citrus hop flavors. Pineapple and tangerine again. Biscuity malt base underneath provides the support needed. Body is medium and carbonation provides effervescent feel. This is really, really good. And I only got a singe of it. Damn.

4.81/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The wonderful Belgian esters and phenols pair great with the rich hoppy aroma and bitterness.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

This is quite possibly the best beer ever created. Think of your favorite Belgian beer (I'm biased)mixed the taste of a real Jasmine tea straight from China town and you have this magical amalgamation of flavors. I mean no disrespect in any form whatsoever. I wish that I was exaggerating, but I'm not. Try it if you don't believe me. Every time that I have this beer, its oh god, and I'm not religious.

Bedlam from Ale Asylum