Shark Attack | Port Brewing

Shark AttackShark Attack

Port Brewing
portbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Is it really safe to paddle out in our waters? It's impossible to know for sure. What we do know is that this is an incredibly distinctive and bold American red ale that attacks your taste buds with lethal amounts of hops which are balanced by a boat load of Crystal malt. If none of this fazes you, then maybe swimming in the shark filled waters is exactly where you belong. We'll see you in the lineup!

(2014 Winner Best of Show San Diego International Beer Festival)

Added by Floydster on 03-07-2008

firstprev| 726-750 | 751-775 | 776-800  | next → last
4.32/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Lost Abbey

Appearance is clear dark amber hue, no noticeable head, minimal lacing

Smell is big caramel malts and toffee, big grassy hops, hint of alcohol heat

Taste is dominated by huge caramel malts and big piney hops, some subtle floral/grassy tones, toffee, citrus, finishes bitter with slight warming alcohol

Mouthfeel is medium-to-full-bodied, thick and creamy texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is high, this is a nicely balanced amber ale with big malt and hop presence (Malt/Hop Bomb!), alcohol is well masked, I'm a fan of Imperial Red Ales and could drink this one all night long!

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Fresh bottle straight from the brewery. Pours a nice dark amber with virtually no head. Smells very much of caramel.

I enjoy the taste. Tons of malt here - caramel is the defining factor. Some hop presence, but this barely serves to balance the malt. All in all though, I enjoy the malt bomb that this is.

Mouthfeel is relatively low on carbonation with a lot of richness. Drinkability is actually pretty good given the rich taste.

Recommended. Far from the best Tomme has put out, but solid nonetheless.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Very dark read, almost NO HEAD and minimal lacing.

S - Bready, some hops, dense fruit

T - Carmel, solid malt base, booze, washed over with pretty decent hop flavor.

M - Carbonation could be higher, as well as possibly a thicker body. Maybe appropriate for style, it's just my opinion.

D - Had my ups and downs with Shark Bite. Loved it, then hated it. Last two attempts were nasty. The only time I liked it was on tap. I thought this larger version might be the ticket. While it is bigger, boozier and hoppier, it is still flatter than I like and not nearly as carbonated. Glad to try, though.

NOTE 7.25.13 Trying it again. Nice head, good carb, beer is tasting pretty good!

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer's getting a bit of a short shrift, IMHO.

Pours a splendid orange with ruby highlighs. No real head, though, jus tsome foam bubbling on the edges of my glass. Could be the high ABV, I'm not sure. Mouthfeel is somewhat flat (although chewy and thick).

Smell and taste are the real highlights, here. Tastes like what I imagine a Mad River Jamaica Red mixed with a Wipeout IPA would produce. Big grapefruit smell and flavors, a sweet caramel malt and tropical base I expect more from a red ale than an IPA (although the big hop load is decidedly more IPA than red ale), and a nice refreshing crispness to it.

Very enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle purchased from Hi Time Wine in Costa Mesa, CA. for $5.99 in February 2008, consumed in March of the same year.

OK, let me start with a disclaimer- I'm not a big fan or Red Ales. Nothing against them, they just don't grab me.

So what happens here- pours a pretty reddish amber, with absolutely no head- one of the few things wrong with this one. Sorry, have to deduct style points.

Aroma is a dense solid slightly sweet bread, dark fruits (raisins) and a moderate hop bitterness. But it's in the flavor where this one comes alive.

A rich full malt base, sweet caramels, honey-soaked sesame seeds (that has a name and I can't remember it right now), raisins. Hops sit proudly on top, a crowning glory on the wonder of this beer.

Mouth is rich and thick on the tongue, like honey. A bit of alcohol burn is present, not overpowering, but more than I like (fault number 2). And it's not as creamy as I think it shold be (fault number 3). The 9% ABV is very sneaky (fault number 4).

And with those 4 faults, you know what? This is one really good beer. I like it a lot more than it's cousin, Sharkbite Red. Highly recommended.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a dark ruby with a tiny paper thin off white head that quickly turns into nothing. Lacing is weak too, not much stickiness to speak of what so ever. Smell is rich caramel malt and big slick pine aromas. Strong booze and earthy hops find their way in the nose as well. I don't really enjoy the smell of this one either. Alcohol flavors up front really seem to linger for a while and distract from the other flavors. Underneath the big booze taste is some gritty hops, dry grass, metallic notes, and oily rich malts. Could use some citrus hop sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick with a flat carbonation, not a very enjoyable combination. Very difficult to drink with the alcohol all over the place. I'm pretty disappointed with this one. I've really enjoyed all of Port's beers up until I gave this one a try. Not sure if I can finish this beer to be honest, but at least there's some Nugget Nectar in my fridge, a true "Imperial Amber".

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz. bomber, picked up at Hi-Times,

A: Pours a dark amber/ruby red with very low carbonation, really no head, good retention for what is there, but not a horrible appearance, I would have expected better from Port, but let's move on.

S: Caramel malt, pine needles, resin.

T: Nice mix of dark malt and piney hops. Very fruity, a flavour you'd expect out of a double red ale, close to a barleywine.

M: Low carbonation, but this makes it extra smooth and easy to drink, almost like a cask beer.

D: A nice beer from Port, not a beer I'd seek out, but I'd drink it anytime it was offered, a quality product.

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%

22 ounce bottle purchased from the Beverages and More in Redlands for six dollars after tax, split with my friend tonight during Lost, excited to see this on the shelf already, spent a few hours in my fridge, then poured into my Duvel tulip glass

A-Dark brown with many red highlights, scary how there was practically no head, what was there was clear and white bubbles, no retention or lacing, this beer was super flat

S-Hops, both pine and citrus, some earthiness, hay, tons of bready malt, caramel aromas, toffee, and grains

T-First few sips had a ton of bitter hoppiness, somehwat dry in the middle, hoppy finish as well, then about five minutes later malt started to take full control, lots of bread and caramel, got a little sweeter and harder to get down as it warmed, needed to be more balanced all the way through, definitely prefer to drink this one cold, needs more hops in my opinion

M-Thin to medium body, not nearly enough carbonation, watered down, taste lingered for close to a minute, chewy mouthfeel

D-Could maybe have finished this bottle by myself, pretty strong though, heavy on the stomach, not easy to drink, more of a sipper than a session beer, especially at the high ABV

Sharbite Red is a decent beer and this hyped up version is a little too strong malty for my taste, overwhelming on my palate at times, cool artwork nevertheless, nice description on the bottle about whether or not you are worthy to be in the ocean or not too, would like to try again some time, maybe even on tap, recommended for fans of bold red ales

firstprev| 726-750 | 751-775 | 776-800  | next → last