Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Peak Pomegranate Wheat is a refreshing, yet intricate ale brewed with locally grown organic wheat, organic coriander and a touch of organic Pomegranate and Acai juice from our friends at Sambazon. Not as sweet as many fruit beers, the Pomegranate Wheat has a soft, round mouthfeel from the local, un-malted wheat. The spice from the coriander and the subtle sweetness from the Pomegranate and Açai are a perfect complement.

Added by glid02 on 02-14-2009

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Clear, golden yellow body with a small, creamy, one finger, white head...the head falls to a wispy cap but doesn't leave much lacing...slow carbonation bubbles can been seen

S - The wheat ale part really comes through with pale malts, wheat malts, and some coriander...the fruitiness is more along the lines of extract smelling

T - There is a strong wheat backbone to the beer...the fruit is lingering around in the background...again, it's sort of on the fake side of things...berry flavors are present...the spice brightens things up but there is a strong wheat malt presence that overpowers the spice towards the end

M - Light bodied...crisp and refreshing...a hint of smoothness

O - This wasn't a terrible beer, but it could have had more fruit flavors...the base of the beer really came through and the fruit flavors were more on the fake side

3.46/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle dated best before 12/2012; served in a pint glass.

I approached this one with a bit of trepidation. First, I am not a fan of most wheat beers. Second, there's pomegranate and acai; fruit choices that may reflect their currently popularity and association with health more than their ability to mix well in a beer recipe.

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-golden color, slightly darker than your typical wheat beer, with a full and lasting off-white head that has the slightest purple tinge. Visible carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, very wheaty, with a fruity aroma of pomegranate (and presumably acai berries; I'm not sufficiently familiar with this aroma to pick it out for sure). There's also a hint of coriander. Unfortunately for me, the mix is too reminiscent of perfumed soap, albeit mixed with baked bread. The aroma did improve markedly with airing/warming.

Taste: Malted wheat with pomegranate and acai berries. In contras to the aroma, this produces a very pleasant and inviting taste that with a light-to-moderate fruitiness and a touch of coriander. Nicely sweet when ti hits the tongue, it soon becomes clear that the balance is lightly tart as well as possessing a light hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation. Notably smooth but lightly crisp. Semi-dry finish.

O: A nicely constructed fruit-flavored, pale wheat. I'll be happy to have another down the road, especially on a hot day.

3.32/5  rDev +4.4%

Another fruity wheat beer. A lightish beer, easy drinking. Faint extract taste. A little orange, a little corriander, and berry taste. Like a decent herbal tea. Not my cup of beer. Light colour, faint tastes. Average body. Carbonation is OK.Best I can say is its on the smoother side.

3.88/5  rDev +22%

A - Wow darker than expected! Pours a hazy yellow with slight amber tones. Nice half inc of bubbly head as well.

S - Smells of a bit of wheat and berry. Maybe a bit of hops but it's faint at best.

T - Acai berry and Pomegranate is a pretty sweet combination. Not overly sweet or bitter. A nice malt and wheat base as well. It's a fruit beer that's not too fruit or beer! Tasty!

M - Light to medium as expected. Really natural not artificial flavor.

Overall I liked this fruit beer. Even more so than Eel Rivers Acai berry since it had more of a balanced flavor and actual beer aspects. Worth trying if you like a good fruit beer!

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a solid pale and wheat malt scent along with a mild pomegranate aroma. The taste is decent as well. It has a smooth pale and wheat malt flavor. It's easy drinking with a light to mild pomegranate character. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pretty generic fruit beer, but it drinks well.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

A- Semi-translucent golden body with a small white head

S- Wheat and maybe some faint fruit

T- Sweet wheat and fruit, pomegranate specifically. An interesting flavor

M- Light body and on the higher end for carbonation...

D- Interesting tastes of pomegranates makes it easy to drink one and I'm sure I'll think of it again and try and find another.

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle

A- Best before May 2011 notched on the label. Pours a clear golden yellow color with a lot of bubbles due to the high carbonation and a fizzy off-white head.

S- The aroma is wheat and some fruitiness (pomegranate) with very little to no hops in the nose.

T- The taste has some noticeable sweet pomegranate flavors up front along with some wheat and a touch of hops in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is a decent easy drinking beer that is ideal for the warm summer months but not a beer that will blow you away with flavor. I don't think I would purchase this one again.

3.37/5  rDev +6%

A: Nice pale color. Head dies away too quickly. Leave a bit of lace.

S: Fruitiness and yeast esters play a big role up front. Slight bit of hops in the aroma as well.

T: Yeast and alcohol come forward first. There are fruity notes as well. Bit of hop bitterness comes toward the end balancing the sweetness initially established.

M: Appropriate light body and medium to high carbonation.

O: Easy to go down, but it will eventually burn out your palate around 3 or 4.

1.33/5  rDev -58.2%

I got this single 12oz'er from Beverage Warehouse in Winooski VT for a buck eighty. There's writing on the label for best by date, but nothing's marked (lotta good that does...). Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

This clear dark yellow brew gives a healthy inch of dense foamy eggshell head. Smell is... egad, a TON of diacetyl, totally unexpected and out of place. Sheesh, am I going to have to slam a Peak Organic brew??? There's also a bit of fruity sweetness, maybe some other stuff, but the diacetyl is so overpowering that I don't want to smell any further.

Taste is.. dear god... diacetyl, maybe not as bad as the smell, but still seriously strong and unwelcome. There's also some sweet fruity stuff (presumably pomegranate), some hoppy things... but I can't get beyond the diacetyl. Butter and fruit is a disgusting combination. Drain pour, drain pour, bleh, bleh. Somebody, in an act of mercy, please give me a keystone with which to cleanse my palate.

AVOID.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Hazy amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Light fruity nose. Flavor is wheat, fruity and some sweetness. Some bitterness. Best before Jan 2010. $1.80 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

3.77/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured a clearish, light amber. Nice bubble action. Head was significant enough when poured vigorously. Nice lacing. Aroma is a little sweet, but pleasantly milder than what I was expecting. I actually would have mistaken the fruit aroma for passion fruit had I not known it was actually pomegranate.

Taste is clean, crisp, and just as faintly sweet as the aroma. Mouthfeel provides lively carbonation, and drinkability is great seeing as I didn't get sick of the sweetness.

I usually stay away from fruit beers like this (watermelon, blueberry, etc.) because they're usually ultra sweet for me and seemingly just brewed as gimmicks to be consumed in the summer. However, given my low expectations I was pleasantly surprised. I usually like what Peak offers, as well.

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

Best Enjoyed Before: Sep 09

Pours a very nice slightly hazy dark golden yellow color, nice carbonation, very nice two-finger white head, with lots of nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is malty, with some nice yeast notes, fruity, and some caramel. The taste is malty, with some yeast notes, very nice fruity/sweetness to it, and a nice touch of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a very nice brew, I like it, hit's the spot on a warm day.

3.04/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a clean weizen glass.

Appearance - Pretty nice light amber tone with a medium off white head. Not really any lacing. Cloudy from the yeast sediment with some fairly chunky pieces in there.

Smell - There was a mild hoppy aroma with a wheaty undertone. Nothing too exciting there.

Taste - Dark fruit and honey with a light wheaty finish. Very mild hoppiness at the end. Not too shabby!

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Pretty heavy on the bubbly...a bit too heavy for my taste. I'd say it's fairly drinkable other than that.

Pretty decent brew, I think. I've had better, but it was certainly enjoyable. Extra points for having a bit of a unique flavor.

3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: cloudy, 1 inch head, orange/yellow in color, high carbonation

Smell: wheat and pomegranate

Taste: wheat, some caramel malt, some citrus, and pomegranate

Mouthfeel: sweet with slightly bitter backbone, medium bodied, high carbonation, crisp

Drinkability: An average fruit beer that is equal parts sweet and bitter. I might have this again. The alcohol is very well hidden. There is plenty of fruit flavor, but also plenty of citrus.

12oz long neck. Consumed 12/22/09.

A) Pours with a big, foamy head that is white in color. Lacing is tight and very sticky. Clear body. Visible carbonation. Gold in color.
S) Wheaty. Fruity notes of pomegranate but not overpowering.
T) Wheaty nose with subtle notes of pomegranate mixed in. Midway through the wheat pulls out and the fruit stays. Finishes with a dry grain and mellow pomegranate.
M) Crisp. Very bubbly. Light body. Slightly dry.
D) A refreshing and delicious brew.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

My girlfriend picked two of em out at WFM for a little tasting session last night. Not something I'd normally choose, I was not expecting much here. Got more than I thought I would though. Poured into a standard pint glass.
Freshness date: Dec 2009.

A: Poured a hazy golden yellow with some sediment in the bottom of the glass. High carbonation and decent head. Note: Head in mine was decent, head in my girlfriend's was non-existent.

S: Blueberry, tea leaves, yeast, honey and a faint whiff of lemon.

T: All I could think was iced tea. This might be due to the fruit juice used in the brewing. I'm not familiar enough with acai to note that flavor in the beer, but there was definitely a little berry of some kind poking its way through. Alcohol taste was a little bit too prevalent.

Drinkability: This one has a higher than expected ABV and a "fruit gimmick" goin' on, so I would think 3 would be the limit for me.

Value: Paid $1.99 for a single. This is a good choice for a "fruit" beer and it's organic. Nothing wrong with supporting that.

2.08/5  rDev -34.6%

I was given a free bottle of this at a local event. I didn't taken any notes, but since I plan on never drinking this beer again, I'll pass on what I remember. The aroma was full of yeast, but not a good fresh bready yeast, more like a yeast starter sitting in your kitchen. The taste was too sweet, with a citrusy finish that tasted like grapefruit. The beer was way too carbonated. It over powered the taste and made the mouthfeel rather unpleasant. As for drinkability, I've already said I'll never have one of these again. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this. After about a quarter of the bottle, I had to make a choice, either stay at this crowded event and finish this beer, or leave early and go buy a Christmas tree before an impending snow storm. I decided to dump the beer and go get a tree. I don't regret the choice at all.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Holy head!!! I had to take breaks in between little baby pours to fit all twlve ounces into my mug. This head is super huge. A little yoo huge, but its nice that it retains well. Slightly hazey light amber to dark banana peel mix with ok bubbling. The aroma is very muted spice and toasted wheat and malt. Don't pick up a whole lot of it though, very muted in fact. The taste starts with a light pomegranate fruity tartness. The spices and a little heat hit the palate in the middle. The finish is a little hot and spicey from the alcohol and from the spices added to this brew. Not badoverall, pretty easy to drink, just hard to handle when you try to empty all twelve ounces of it.

2.08/5  rDev -34.6%

I picked up a six pack of this because the wife wanted to try it. I poured a bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a cloudy yellow with a little sediment floating around it, as I'd expect with a wheat beer. Decent fizzy head that vanishes quickly. Sort of an odd smell to it...wheat and lightly fruity, though pomegranate is not what I smell. The taste leaves something to be desired. It starts off midly fruity...not a whole lot of fruit there, and I guess if the label says "pomegranate", I'll take their word for it. Faint hint of hops and sweet malt. The wheat and fruit seem to be fighting a lot and don't really complement each other nicely. Overall, the taste is just plain funky, and the aftertaste is downright unpleasant. The mouthfeel is what I'd expect with a wheat beer...light body, fizzy, and drinks easily, aside from the taste. I could only drink half the beer. The rest was a drain pour. Sorry, Peak Organics, but I will not try this again.

2.83/5  rDev -11%

In a pint glass the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium white head. Mildly sweet aroma, maybe a little bit of malt. Tart fruit tase, some hops. For me, the beer really went downhill in the mouthfeel. It was, by far, way too bitter. I had to work hard to finish it. I think I'll give the rest of the bottles to my son-in-law; he likes fruit beers.

3.31/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a clear yellow gold color with a one finger head and some lacing. For a wheat though it is too clear. The smell is of clove, wheat, and pomegranate the smell is of good quality. The taste is of wheat backbone with citrus and pomegranate, there is also maybe a little clove taste too, the taste is good, but there is a little something bitter or metallic in the middle that is distracting. The mouthfeel is good, the is a good amount of carbonation with a little bite. The drinkability is okay the middle of the taste can be distracting.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-golden body with a well-sized, lasting layer of white foam.

Smell: Sweetish, butterscotch-scented malts with a fruity aroma sweeping in and smelling strongly of pomegranate (the IT fruit of yesterday) and acai berries (the IT fruit of today) with a minute hint of coriander.

Taste: Malted wheat and barley with a sweet touch of butterscotch candy. Then in comes the fruity additions of lightly tart pomegranate and Oprah-approved acai berries, the latter of which has tasted vaguely reminiscent of blackberries on the (very) few times I've tried them. Touch of leafy coriander. Light, clean hop bitterness that along with the added coriander helps to provide some balance. Finishes semi-dry and lightly crisp with a lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's fruity, it's wheaty, it's sweetish and fine for the one bottle. I'm happy to be getting an extra dose of antioxidants to cancel out all those cell-damaging free radicals while also pickling my liver.

2.4/5  rDev -24.5%

A nice hazy honey-straw color with tons of fluffy off-white head and great lacing. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about the beer.

Smells a bit of clove and a bit of sweet fruit, and a whole lot of coriander. Now, I like coriander, but this is too much -- it has a strongly metallic scent that really overpowers anything good it has going on.

Sweet pomegranate and citrus notes at first, which unfortunately also give way to that metallic flavor. This is just not a very good beer.

Feel is fine; a relatively light and slightly silky body with sharpish carbonation.

I managed to get through a six pack of these, though it took me a month, procrastinating the review with each one ... but this is the last, and I certainly won't be buying any again.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Cloudy orangey amber with a touch of some purplish hints. Moderate carbonation, slight creamy white head, pretty small though, just a touch of lace. There is an undefined berry aroma and a touch of mustiness.

The beer is slightly harsh and I'm guessing it is from the acai. The berry flavors are pretty undefined. There is an acerbicness to the beer, some grapish flavors, tartness, bitter citrus fruitiness, maybe some hop bitterness complimenting the tang, but too much acid bite to the beer. Not a crowd pleaser.

Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale from Peak Organic Brewing Company