Peak Organic IPA | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

Added by WanderingFool on 04-17-2009

4.8/5  rDev +30.1%

I went to Redwood City looking for an IPA at a small brewery, ... I found it and was not impressed.
So, my wife and I went into town to get a bite to eat. What a surprise - "Aly's on Main" had a beer on tap from Mass. I asked the bartender about the beer and he stated that this restaurant was one of 3 on the west coast that carried it. Here it is: clean, crisp, and refreshing. It was unfiltered, so their was a bit of turbidity and they used whole hops. The mouth feel was fantastic and the bite at the end was exactly what I was hoping for. The food was better than expected and the beer was fantastic. I will drive the 80 mile round trip for this again.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Well, it has been quite the Sunday as I am zipping through all sorts of beers. Apparently, Peak Organic BC has been listening to my impassioned pleas and begun CANning their wares.

From the CAN: "Pure ingredients, delicious beer".

Nothing like a loud Crack! to inspire me to an inverted Glug. The foaming action was immediate and tough to CANtrol, so I backed off. I watched as two-plus fingers of foam puffed up, became soapy & rocky & began to wilt in the face of the day's humidity. Farewell to its tawny self! Color was a slightly hazy solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled strongly of fresh mint, mown grass & some pine tar. My mouth began to water unCANtrollably. Mouthfeel had a softness like it had been made with soft water. It was a welcome break from today's crazy onslaught. The taste was really minty and actually kind of tea-like. Man, this was a nice, mellow beer that just made me drowsy and sleepy. Finish was dry, but not gasping. It was the kind of beer that goes well in a cooler on a hot, humid summer's day.

I was over at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop yesterday afternoon after Easter dinner with my uncle & when I noticed an opening in the singles section, I got them to put this out. I have been drinking a lot of Peak Organic Ales the past couple of days, but this is my last for the foreseeable future.

From the bottle: "Pure ingredients, delicious beer".

I am definitely NOT going to be sorry to put these screw-top bottles of theirs in my rear-view mirror! I went with a gentle pour since some previous reviews mentioned the presence of a haze or cloudiness & I like to challenge myself with a clear beer, if possible. Success! Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, causing the Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus to drop by for a taste. Nose was a (this) hopehead's dream - an amalgam of cattiness, pine mintiness & grapefruit citrusiness! Oh my. I may take a little break to regroup. I'm back. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was Simcoe-forward with its extreme cattiness, but underlain with grapefruit (primarily) and a light pine mintiness. It made for an extremely cool taste in the mouth and throat, akin to gargling with mouthwash. Finish was extremely dry, but cool, like inhaling while outside right after it has finished snowing. I am also going to warn you that this is not for everybody. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead and I really like these kinds of AIPAs, but I know that they are anathema for others. YMMV as a result.

4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Paying due respect to the bonofide aficionados, of which I am not, this is one of the most pleasant (read: best) IPAs I've had the pleasure to imbibe. Crisp, clean, natural...distinct and flavorful hop presence, but not bitter. Strong work. VERY nice. Enjoyed it, on-draught.

4.65/5  rDev +26%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a light, clear, golden yellow in color when held up to the light, however comes off a bit more coppery otherwise. A generous amount of creamy white foam sits atop that leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Carbonation levels are moderate and head retention is excellent. Doesn't get much better from an appearance perspective, although it does look to be a bit on the thinner side.

S: Floral and grassy with a sweet, cloying butter, toffee and vanilla undertone. Lots of cream corn, hints of lime. Barely hop-centric, as there is a strong light malt profile presence there to balance it out. Not a bad thing, off to a great start here.

T: Follows the nose quite well. Floral and grassy up front with a mellowing, light, toasty malt middle which meshes with a bitter grapefruit rind and lime finish that lingers long into the aftertaste. At 7.20% ABV, the alcohol is barely distinguishable until the final swallow.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation, this one feels creamy on the tongue and has an ample amount of chewiness. Some hop oiliness is present on the tongue, but it is far from a palate wrecker. Finishes crisp and clean but not dry. This is a perfect example of what an IPA should strive for if it aims to be both complex and drinkable.

O: Honestly, I was quite blown away by this one. I knew it would be good, based on ratings, but to me this is much better than the B average it has been given thus far. Yes, it will not please those seeking the trendy West Coast IPA hop bombs, and it won't blow you away with flavor or complexity, but seriously, judge this for what it is: a classic, balanced American IPA that is very tasty and quite sessionable, even at a higher ABV. Did I mention that it's from an organic, sustainable brewery? It doesn't get much better, folks. Stop being snobs and just savor the flavor. Can't wait to come back for more. Peak Organic is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

4.51/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Peak Organic IPA from Peak Organic Brewing Company