Peak Organic IPA | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

Added by WanderingFool on 04-17-2009

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This IPA pours a murky orange / dark yellow color with a medium white frothy head. The smell is not very strong, but fairly hoppy with some pine notes and some minor citrus as well, pretty standard IPA scent. The taste is much hoppier then the smell led me to believe with an herbal piney flavor dominating. There are some floral and citrus flavors as well with some underlying caramel malt flavors also. As the beer warms a bit to become cool, and not cold, the citrus flavors come more to the forefront and takeover from the herbal character. The finish is semi-dry and the body is medium. Not a bad IPA, but a little bit one note and not as refined as great examples of the style. I personally prefer the beer cool rather than cold.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This tropical hazy IPA is one of the better bottled IPAs in Maine and is a bit underrated on this site.

Cloudy beers are a GOOD thing. That means it was bottle conditioned and has more aroma and taste. These are gooooood things folks.

Sometimes this beer is amazing and sometimes it's quite bitter and off-putting. Not sure if it's lack of consistently when brewing or freshness. When it's on, it's an absolutely delicious beer.

Organic and tasty.

87/100

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The beer comes in a medium hazy pale amber.

The aroma offers medium bready malts, light floral and grassy notes.

The flavor hits of medium piney bitterness that lingers throughout the palate on the finish covered with some lightly sweet bready malts. The bitterness sticks onto the palate with the aromas not coming through to offer more flavor on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Well, it has been quite the Sunday as I am zipping through all sorts of beers. Apparently, Peak Organic BC has been listening to my impassioned pleas and begun CANning their wares.

From the CAN: "Pure ingredients, delicious beer".

Nothing like a loud Crack! to inspire me to an inverted Glug. The foaming action was immediate and tough to CANtrol, so I backed off. I watched as two-plus fingers of foam puffed up, became soapy & rocky & began to wilt in the face of the day's humidity. Farewell to its tawny self! Color was a slightly hazy solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled strongly of fresh mint, mown grass & some pine tar. My mouth began to water unCANtrollably. Mouthfeel had a softness like it had been made with soft water. It was a welcome break from today's crazy onslaught. The taste was really minty and actually kind of tea-like. Man, this was a nice, mellow beer that just made me drowsy and sleepy. Finish was dry, but not gasping. It was the kind of beer that goes well in a cooler on a hot, humid summer's day.

I was over at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop yesterday afternoon after Easter dinner with my uncle & when I noticed an opening in the singles section, I got them to put this out. I have been drinking a lot of Peak Organic Ales the past couple of days, but this is my last for the foreseeable future.

From the bottle: "Pure ingredients, delicious beer".

I am definitely NOT going to be sorry to put these screw-top bottles of theirs in my rear-view mirror! I went with a gentle pour since some previous reviews mentioned the presence of a haze or cloudiness & I like to challenge myself with a clear beer, if possible. Success! Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, causing the Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus to drop by for a taste. Nose was a (this) hopehead's dream - an amalgam of cattiness, pine mintiness & grapefruit citrusiness! Oh my. I may take a little break to regroup. I'm back. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was Simcoe-forward with its extreme cattiness, but underlain with grapefruit (primarily) and a light pine mintiness. It made for an extremely cool taste in the mouth and throat, akin to gargling with mouthwash. Finish was extremely dry, but cool, like inhaling while outside right after it has finished snowing. I am also going to warn you that this is not for everybody. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead and I really like these kinds of AIPAs, but I know that they are anathema for others. YMMV as a result.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%