Peak Organic IPA | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

Added by WanderingFool on 04-17-2009

View: Beers

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

3.14/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

a: Chill hazed dark golden; poured with a medium sized fizzy head.

s: Pine and onion-y citrus plus short bread and sugar cookies.

t: Odd sweetness, hard to describe. Kind of a sharp toffee and short bread? Amarillo shines through with some candy onion, not my favorite hop. Noticeable alcohol and lingering medicinal bitterness.

m: Sticky and kind of heavy.

o: Just not my kind of IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Sammy Smith pint glass. Clear light copper with no head and thus no retention.

Smell is not pronounced.

Mouthfeel is substantial and pleasant.

IPA reviews seem to be highly personal. I find Samuel Smith to be lacking and a number recent reviews of this ale said some fairly disparaging things. On the other hand Stone Brewing products are way over the top for my pallete and a number of their beers appear in the Top 250. Seems like there's a whole hop vine in every bottle. Peak's IPA suits me perfectly. The malt base is unobtrusive, and the hop presence is lingering and complex. Piney notes become floral and herbal as the ale warms. The hops are dominant but not scarily so.

A characteristic that makes me prefer this IPA to others is the persistence of the hops taste in the mouth. I get to enjoy that flavor between sips. Perhaps this is the result of organic hops.

I will definitely buy this ale again.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle dated January 2014. Sampled on September 5, 2013.

The pour is amber-orange with a slight white head that simmers down to a ring. Slightly cloudy.

There is a balanced nose between earthy hops and biscuit malts. It also has a little buttery note as well as Shipyard's Ringwood yeast character.

The body falls into the medium range with a little astringency.

The taste is about as well balanced as the nose with a good mix of earthy hips and biscuit malts coming into play. The finish is low to moderate but does not linger long. It is the kind of IPA I prefer because it is not in my face.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Best by Jan 2014 notched on side of label. Single purchased at World Market (Charottesville, VA).

A: Nearly clear straw-gold with 2-finger off-white frothy head with good retention and a good stripe of lace ringing the top of the glass.

S: Meaty, catty, mild pine, dank hoppiness with a reasonable light caramel malt aroma. No yeast aromas.

T: The meaty hops flavor that I am not a fan of and that is present in the aroma is dominant with some pine and light grapefruit accents. I am not sure what this meaty flavor comes from, but I wonder if it is a English malt/Simcoe combination. I would have sworn that they used Columbus in this beer because that is usually what I associate that aroma and flavor with, but I think I am wrong because Peak Organic at least doesn't admit to any Columbus hops in this recipe. There is no yeast component, and the bitterness is medium to maybe a little more. Certainly not an unpleasant beer but I am not a fan of that flavor style.

M: Mouthfeel is decent with average carbonation and light-medium body. A little slickness but pretty dry.

O: A pretty good beer but I had higher hopes for this one after loving their dry-hopped Summer Wheat Ale. If you are a lover of dank hoppiness, you will probably like this beer. It reminds me a lot of Sixpoint Bengali Tiger -- same meaty weird flavor that all of their ales have.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%