Peak Organic IPA | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This unique India Pale Ale features our favorite hops—Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. A generous Amarillo and Simcoe dry hop provide for an assertive, hop-forward nose and front palate. We don’t use traditional bittering hops in our IPA, providing nothing but stimulating citrus and floral characteristics.

Inspired by a recipe from our good friend and fellow homebrewer Tim from the North Shore Homebrewers Club.

Added by WanderingFool on 04-17-2009

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Nice amber/orange color with heavy lacing and plenty of carbonation.

Smell: Citrus, pine, floral.

Taste: Citrus pine, floral, bread.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly creamy, with a significant bitter aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. Hoppy and very bitter with just enough malts to provide a friendly wave in the general direction of balanced. Better quality than I was expecting, if they could cut back on the bitter while retaining the hoppiness they would have a top quality beer.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I haven't smelled many IPAs with the famous cat pee aroma, but this is one of them. It's not catnip to me. The appearance is fine, with a clear, orangey golden color in the Duvel tulip. Modest head and plenty of carbonation.

Man, is this ever a funny flavor. Some malt and a slight stickiness. Kind of an anemic maltiness-- the sugar without any warmth. Hops are herbaceous, weedy, dank, dirty. Nothing spicy or flowery. In fact, it's not like most hops I've encountered. And that smell just does not go away.

Rather thin and bitter and not very drinkable. I blame the ditch weed hops. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Trader Joe's.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, almost totally clear golden body, frothy beige eggshell bubbles formed a 2" head that's settled down into a nice clumpy 1/4" cap.

Strong smell of grassy, piney, fresh hops. Very bright, effervescent aroma. Some sweet malt just before it hits your lips.

Bummer...underwhelming and a hint of wet paper flavor, so I'll probably give this one another shot to be fair. Hops and malt are both present, but somehow don't mesh very well. It feels like every bit of the 7% abv.

Watery yet heavy, with almost no detectable carbonation. Leaves a spicy, waxy coating.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Browsing the reviews for this beer, I see a wide range of reactions. It seems a love-it-or-hate-it brew. I'm more on the love-it side - though I wouldn't rank it among my top IPA's, I enjoyed it greatly and will buy again.

I poured it out into a curved pint glass, took a whiff, and I was delighted by the smell. Pure sweet citrus aroma. This beer is light in color, a muted tan, with a small head and some nice lacing. I drank it while snacking on bread and salami.

I enjoyed the flavor right from the start. Attack is very much on the sweet side, with a heavy rush of citrus hops and not much else. The decay of the flavor is mixed, with a flat malty note giving the beer an quality that could almost be unpleasantly medicinal if it was stronger. Luckily that flavor is mostly kept in harmony with the sweeter tones, so it leaves me with a satisfying finish overall.

The hop profile reminds me somewhat of Green Flash's West Coast IPA, which is one of my favorites. This beer is not as good, but overall I think it's a damn fine IPA with a very appealing citrus rush, and I plan to pick up more soon!

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Poured a nice gold color, two finger white foamy head, good lacing.
S - Fresh cut grass, floral hops, some nice light citrus, lemon especially.
T - Clean and bright flavors, nice light grassy to it with a touch of lemon, a mild fresh bread malt taste. Very drinkable.
M - Crisp and refreshing, excellent balance.
O - This is a stellar single IPA, and you do not taste or feel the 7.2% at all, good choice for a year round IPA.

Peak Organic IPA from Peak Organic Brewing Company