Winter Session Ale | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Peak Organic Brewing Company
Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

This winter wheat beer uses dark malting to provide subtle toasty notes. We then single-hop and dry-hop this beer with Citra hops from our friend Brad’s farm. Interesting pineapple notes from the Citra hop provide a stark contrast to the toasty notes in the body. An engaging and sessionable Winter Seasonal.

Added by obireidkenobi on 11-05-2010

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Best before 6/2013.

Pours a clear copper with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, wheat, and some onion, garlic, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with a very earthy flavor on the finish. There is a medium hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with the onion and garlic aromas and flavors I am not a fan of.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle poured into my brand new Peak Organic shaker pint glass (I was told it's a true 16 oz glass, but I havent checked yet).

A -- nice clear dark caramel color with a small white head.

N -- big piny, resiny nose with some orange peel and nice caramelly, toasty background.

T -- again, nice hoppy, piny taste from citra hops. this also adds a good spicy character, but its a hop spice not a spice spice, if that makes sense. I get a toasted marshmallow taste on the back, which makes this a great winter flavor to me. really think the taste stands out on this one.

M -- average mouthfeel, nothing special to report. no problems with it.

O -- I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had no idea what to expect, and I usually don't think of hoppy wheat ales when I think of winter brews. I could definitely drink these throughout the course of a holiday party or a winter camping trip for several hours. Really good quality.

Cheers (and have a safe winter!)!

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

a- Lovely darkish color with small off white head.

s - Out of this world citrusy/resiny nose.

t- I was ready for an "added spice" bomb, like many winters. But, this one got its spiciness from the citra hop. A nice round caramel malt character fills in too. I like it a lot. Drinkable. This is a winter beer you can enjoy more that one of.

I'll be matching my tastings of other winters to this one.

m - Moderately nice mouthfeel.

o - This is a delicious session beer. I'll buy a case, if it is on sale.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into 5oz taster glass til gone..really nice white head with dark brownish color and with a little lacing. Smell is lacking and tastes better than smells . I never had dark wheat before but tastes and looks are great just lacks smell that would balance everything! Tastes malts and light toastyness that is pleasant and a hint of wheat. Mild Carb and easy to drink so I'll have another. I'm sure its old being June but still enjoyed and like organic beer for flavor!

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a brown color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is hops, some spice and malts. Taste is good, some hoppy bitterness up front followed by toasted malts, a touch of wheat. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality beer.

4.5/5  rDev +23%