Peak Organic Fresh Cut | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Maine, United States
peakbrewing.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Flounder57 on 09-06-2013

One of my favorite beers! This is what every Pilsener should taste like. Delicious aroma, nice hop taste and refreshing. Overall good beer

4.86/5  rDev +25.3%

What an American Pilsner should be. It pairs a traditional Czech style with an enormous amount of hops on the front, which is a nice reflection on the U.S. Obsession with that portion of beer making. Super drinkable super refined.

4.86/5  rDev +25.3%

My days of "kill me with dem bitter hops" are over. And I think a lot of folks and brewers are going in that direction, too.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't want a nice hop flavor and aroma, and many IPAs fit the bill nicely.

Pilsners and lagers are making a comeback - a nice beer with flavor and less ABV, has an appeal.

So, I tried this one.

Appearance. It looks like beer.

Smell. (I prefer "nose") Out of this world. Bready. Tropical fruit. Spice.

Taste is wonderful. A nice clean start with a bit of pine/spice. mid-point - A night of tropical splendor. And then a nice crisp finish. A ton of dry-hopped flavor, Not bitter.

MF - creamy nice.

This is going to be my "always have a sixer in the fridge" beer for a long time.

4.85/5  rDev +25%

Fresh and crushable awesome for a hot day

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Despite what the approved pic depicts, they are now putting this beer into CANs, making it very attractive to/for The CANQuest (tm), my ongoing, misguided attempt to drink & review EVERY CANned beer in existence.

From the CAN: "Pure Ingredients, Delicious Beer"; "A Dry-Hopped Pilsner"; "[Certified] USDA Organic".

In my barfly world, "Fresh Cut" usually refers to potatoes prepared locally for French Fries, but this works, too. The Crack! was nice & loud and I got a squirt across my fingertips thanks to it being a brimful craft CAN. That is always the sign of a good start, but I have learned to become more gentle in terms of my subsequent Glug. I still got a finger of soapy, bone-white head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was a lightly-hazy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had a brilliant lemon/grapefruit/citrus smell & my mouth immediately began watering! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was so intensely citrusy that I thought that I might be drinking an AIPA! However, that said, I also began to perceive a cracker/biscuit malt presence that was totally appropriate for the style. In fact, it began to remind me of lemon biscotti from Enrico's Biscotti Company in Pittsburgh's Strip District. Finish was dry, slightly tart and definitely refreshing. F**k it, I am clearing out the cooler this summer to make room for a whole buncha CANs of this one!

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.
Bottle date: July 07, 2014
Pour date: August 18, 2014

APPEARANCE: pale, honey yellow with a tall 2 inch white, foamy head. Beer shows some sediment and cloudiness. Honeycomb lacing around walls of glass, and head reduces to a little puck in the middle.

SMELL: smells like fresh pine and wet pants with a nice mellow grain.

TASTE: I'm getting lemon-drops, grass, and pine needles. Very well-balanced; neither the hops, grains, or malts overpower. This beer I'd say is aromatically hop-shifted, while the flavor is grain-shifted. Great level of bitterness - makes for a crisp finish. All the flavors dissipate together linearly.

FEEL: pretty bubble and burp-inducing. Not a very filling beer, fairly thin-bodied, but the big flavor makes up for it.

BURP: very pleasent

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy, light golden in color with a half inch of frothy white foam atop. Carbonation looks to be average. Surprisingly, the head retention is fairly good and there is some lacing on the glass edge as you drink. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness, but it looks quite inviting!

S: Cream corn and fresh cut hops dominate the aroma with a solid light malt profile with notes of honey and butter. A treat for the old nostrils. Fresh cut, fo sho.

T: Follows the nose quite well: light buttery malts and cream corn up front followed by a lemony, floral and grass hop tang, finishing with a marriage of the two. Both classic and revolutionary, this one packs the sweet, light graininess of Czech style pilsener, but with a decidedly American citrus and floral hop characteristic that makes itself known without being overpowering.

M: Light bodied with average, but lively carbonation, this one is extremely smooth and drinkable with a slight bit of chewiness. Very sessionable.

O: Wow. This one blew me away a little bit. Was not expecting so much hop goodness here and was pleasantly surprised to find how well it worked since it makes itself quite known but finishes very balanced. This is my third brew from this wonderful brewery and I must say they are quickly becoming one of my favorites. In terms of pilsners, Pilsener Urquell has always been the benchmark brew for me, and this one satisfies the cream corn and hopiness of the former while adding a decisively American fresh hop characteristic all of it's own to balance out the mix. I would not hesitate to seek this one out whenever I'm in the need of a good pilsener, and I will now pay close attention to what this brewery releases. Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been searching for the perfect balance between the hop-bite of a full IPA, and an easy drinking Pilsner-lager. This is it. It's a beautiful beer.

Refreshing, hoppy, crisp, floral, with bite -- but with the lightness and drinkability of a Pilsner-lager. It goes down perfectly. Just the right amount of hop at the front of the mouth. Floral, lemons, grass in the middle -- leaving a perfectly balanced hop/grassy bite on the tastebuds to round off.

Now I just wish they'd package this in a 12 pack for $16 or so to save me buying a 6pk for $10 every time.

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My new favorite Pils....and maybe everyday beer....

Crisp and clean like a pilsner should be but also peppery, white pepper with a hint of citrus flavor.... A ever slight sweet finish.... Fresh Cut is delicious and refreshing....quaffable and grassy......... Luv it!!

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Peak Organic Fresh Cut from Peak Organic Brewing Company