Peak Organic Fresh Cut | Peak Organic Brewing Company

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Flounder57 on 09-06-2013

1.6/5  rDev -58.5%

1.87/5  rDev -51.6%

Too much of a bite. Recommend for organic fans

2.22/5  rDev -42.5%

Well, I had high hopes based on favorable reviews for Peak Organic's Fresh Cut Pilsner. I bought two bottles last night. It's supposed to be a Czech pils, but...not really. Another over-the-top hoppy lager. The nose and taste both are wonderful, if you want an IPA. Dominated by fresh grapefruit, making it hard to find the malt in this beer. Even the color is off, as it looks like a partially hazy golden lager....at least the slight haze part they got right.

I assume this is what they were aiming for though, with a name like "Fresh Cut." Hop heads who want a hop-forward low abv beer that's crisper than an IPA will love it. Pilsner fans will not.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

I found this beer on sale at my local grocery store. Being a fan of pilsner I thought I would check out the reviews and I decided to get a 12 pack.

After drinking my first one, I wonder if I am tasting the same beer the other reviewers tried.

The beer had a very bready/lemon smell.

It poured a pale yellow with a thick foamy head.

The first taste I was expecting a typical pilsner with a slightly bitter taste, clean finish and no lingering after taste.

What I got was something that tasted a lot like an IPA. Very hoppy with a grassy aftertaste that stays with you long after you finish the beer.

I don't care for IPA, that's why I stick to mostly lagers. This beer definitely dissapointed me and I have 11 more of them I'm not sure what to do with. I guess I will invite some friends over.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%

poured from can
hazy yellow, thin head with some lacing
no strong smell in glass
pine smell just before tasting
medium hop flavor, clean, not much malt flavor
aftertaste is a little sour, but basically finishes dry
thin body, decent carb
easy to drink but nothing special, this beer needs some malt/yeast character.
there are several widely available domestic pils I would choose over this, such as Victory.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Pale yellow gold, minimal head, with droopy sticky lace.

Bready aromas with lemon, corn, and spicy yet measured pine.

Flavor is lemony, bready malt.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer started out decently and then as it went on the after taste was horrible

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. I like the frothy texture, if not the unimpressive retention. At least a lot of lacing is left behind as the head (quickly) fades. (2.75)

Smell: I seem to pick up a lot of buttery diacetyl, undermining the hop characteristics - Shipyard strikes again? There are nonetheless touches of grass and bell pepper coming through, along with some sugar cookie sweetness. Luckily, the hops shine more vividly as it opens up. It's slightly different for a pilsner, and really not bad smelling at all. (3.25)

Taste: Just like the nose suggested, except even worse: diacetyl runs roughshod over the entire flavor profile. It completely steamrolls both the grassy hops and malt sweetness. I get used to the diacetyl-heavy flavor, but I never learn to enjoy it. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied for a pilsner, with a good dryness. Even with the lingering malt sweetness, it's dry and easy drinking. High carbonation aids its mouthfeel. At least this part of the beer is successful... (3.5)

Overall: Underwhelming is the only word for this. Maybe I should sample it fresher, but it couldn't have degraded that badly after two and a half months. I will not be on the look for this one again. (2.75)

2.95/5: Oops, our lawn is turning brown

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

had this out of the can. 4 months since canning. this is a very light beer. the look, smell and taste are all very light. It does have a fresh taste and finishes clean. if you like a very light beer this could be a good option.

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

A-pours a slightly cloudy straw color with a white sudsy head with good retention that leaves some lacing
S-lots of lemon, grassy,slightly herbal
T-tons of resin, pine, and grass with some citrus in the background
M-light and crisp, good amount of carbonation
O-not a subtle pilsner, more of an over hopped blonde ale. Tastes good but not real accurate of the style

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

C+ (3.17) / ABOVE AVERAGE

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Average Pilsnerish. Not there best effort. Like the brewery this one just ok.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Peak Organic Fresh Cut from Peak Organic Brewing Company