Shipyard Export Ale | Shipyard Brewing Co.

Read the review
Shipyard Export AleShipyard Export Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-30-2001

4.77/5  rDev +43.2%

Appearance – Can’t help you here, I drank it out of the bottle. Had no chance to put it in a glass or clear cub.

Smell – Nice maltly aroma

Taste – Kind of a buttery taste, nice clean taste. Haven’t had a good beer in awhile till this.

Mouth feel – Not heavy, kind of light.

Drinkable - I never seen this and then in the past 2 days I seen it twice. I would buy this again. I enjoyed this one a lot.

4.76/5  rDev +42.9%

So good. So creamy, you could pour it on your cereal. Luke Tippins would disagree but you can never have too much of a good thing. Best served at The Lynd Cross

4.75/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy this beer a lot.

4.75/5  rDev +42.6%

Shipyard has always been a good local choice, and for those times when I want a nice ale with a crisp and slightly hopped bite, I will pick up a Shipyard Export.

A: A wonderful orange/gold color with a nice white rocky head that leaves a decent lace.

S: Not overpowering at all, very sedate aromas. Balanced malt with a slight hops aroma.

T: This is where Export shines. A great malty flavor, that is slightly sweet, and finishes with a slightly bitter/grassy hops flavor. A very nice flavor balance that hits the spot.

M: Silky and clean, not too bitter, not too malty. Very well balanced and very enjoyable.

D: Goes down smooth, and clean. Excellent with seafood or steak, or on on its own. Not one of those beers that fills you up quick or overpowers the palate.

This is one beer that goes great at a cookout, at a casual dinner or a quiet night out. Very easy to drink, and reminds you of New England. Another good local offering for me.

4.7/5  rDev +41.1%

Had this on tap at a local bar. It is an English style pale ale. It is slightly bigger than what you might have at a pub, hence the "Export" heading. Shipyard also uses a Ringwood yeast strain, which provides a very distinct flavor profile.

A: Golden color, Clear and brilliant. Has a white, rockey, creamy head.

S: Distinctive floral esters provided by yeast. Caramel maltiness is present. Grassy hop aroma is also there.

T: Flavors co-allign with aroma. Hop flavor and aroma are moderate and grassy as well. Finishes on the dry side. Very clean beer. Flavors linger in aftertaste.

M: Medium body. Creamy mouthfeel. Slightly over-carbonated for an English beer. Finishes dry. No alcohol warming.

D: Excellent beer. Can be enjoyed with or without food, and at any time of the year.

4.62/5  rDev +38.7%

I can't believe I haven't tried this beer before now - being from Maine and all. But it is really good - just the right balance of hops and malt - I can taste the cascade hops that must be in there. If you haven't tried this in a while - try it again - it is really good. I am a home brewer and this is the taste that I have been trying to get in my homebrew. I will always have some in the fridge from now on

4.5/5  rDev +35.1%

4.5/5  rDev +35.1%

4.45/5  rDev +33.6%

I found this beer to be a very good session beer. It was not heavy at all. The color was good as was the smell. I would highly recommend this beer to any of my beer drinking friends. I got the Export Ale in what is called "The Captain's Collection." This is a 12 pack of different Shipyard beers. I am now trying to get a case of the beer since it was so good.

4.32/5  rDev +29.7%

Brightly copper colored, mine produced a rather fluffy, foamy white head. Nice thick sweet malty smell with some hop induced floral notes. Very appealing. First taste was dominated by a big sweet malty, yeast taste. Just like biting into a Bob Evans buttermilk biscuit (Wildman, knows what I'm talking about.) Very creamy rich taste, more malty sweetness than I have seen in a Pale Ale. Nice floral hop bite balances nicely. Only downside was a slight medicinal taste at the bottom of the glass. Very good, tasty and easy to drink. I agree, this should be their flagship brew.

4.32/5  rDev +29.7%

This a great ale for me. It holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first better US beers I had when I first arrived to the US. I had been supping Red Dog until some kind soul took me to the Old Amherst Alehouse and i never looked back. The Shipyard Export even made it back with me to Scotland as a gift for my uncle who loves his pint. This brew pours well and has a nice solid, safe brown look. There is the usual busyness with the aroma that is common with US ales, but it certainly is not overpowering. Not too flowery, it has a duller edge to it compared to say a Sam Adams. I like that. On tap it is sublime but in a bottle I stress getting a fresh batch as I notice this brew does not do well if close to or past it's best before date.

This is the best Shipyard has to over, IMO.

4.3/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours a nice clear orangish color with some good carbonation and a nice head. Heavy scent of sweet bready malt along with a nice floral hop aroma. Taste is fairly hoppy, yet very creamy as well, balancing things out perfectly. What starts off as a bitter dose of hops quickly turns into a sweet & creamy maltiness. Plenty of hops, yet sweet enough to balance it all out. Smooth creamy mouthfeel and very drinkable, especially at 5%.

Good overall brew, and nice sitting by the fire...this one warms up nicely.

4.29/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lush, golden brown. Upon pouring, aroma begins to be noticeable, which is a heavily malted scent. This I believe is Shipyards best work. Their IPAs usually miss the mark, but they're American style beers, are on point. Very drinkable, great color, not to heavy, not to light. This is a versatile beer. Whether its 9 degrees on a Maine night or a July 4th weekend, this beer is good to go anytime of year. Arguably it's best attribute is the aftertaste, which is sweet and malty and makes you want another round. Good stuff here by Shipyard, Cheers

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium goblet. This beer pours a semi-opaque reddish-gold, with a thin, off white head that leaves a gentle lacing along the inside of the glass. It looks decent, but somewhat unassuming.

The smell is likewise very mild, and does not give a particularly strong impression of what to expect from the flavor. There is a very slight maltiness present, though no real indication of any corresponding sweetness. There is a slightly fruity aroma, coupled with some mild floral notes from the hops. Nothing truly exciting so far, but very pleasant.

The taste, however, is quite impressive. I feel that this beer has been under-valued by quite a few other reviewers, who may have been hoping for something a little more bold. While the flavors are quite mild overall, they blend together exceptionally well. Balance is clearly a key element of this beer's flavor profile.

There is a subtle maltiness in the background, which provides a slight bit of richness and corresponding sweetness, though this does not ever overwhelm. The hops are likewise clearly present, providing a crisp clean flavor that is a balance of citrus and floral notes, with a modest degree of bitterness. The aftertaste fades quickly, but is slightly sweet and bready, coupled with a mild, hoppy bitterness.

This is a light-bodied beer. It never really coats the tongue, and the relatively high degree of carbonation keeps it crisp and refreshing. Between the solid balance of flavors and aroma, clean mouthfeel, and modest ABV, I could easily see myself having several across a prolonged session.

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

One of my favorite ales around.

Nothing too unusual here, so short & simple review. Pours nicely with a nice amber color and good ½” head. Smells and tastes nice & light with a bit of malt. Slight bitterness, but that’s what I like. Very drinkable, great with a burger while overlooking the Maine coast.

Cheers,
m

Shipyard Export Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.