Shipyard Chamberlain Pale Ale | Shipyard Brewing Co.

good
Shipyard Chamberlain Pale AleShipyard Chamberlain Pale Ale

Shipyard Brewing Co.
Maine, United States
shipyard.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

4.77/5  rDev +33.6%

Nice copper brown color with a good sized head that shinks to a thin ring a leaves a little lace.
Nice flowery hop aroma with a good bit of sweet malt aroma evident.
The flavor is excellent with an up front sweet maltiness that is perfectly balanced by the hops. Some bit of a fruity sweetness also seems to come through and fade with each sip.
Nice crisp but creamy body and mouthfeel make this a very drinkable beer, I must join JohnnyP in asking "why is this not sold in sixpacks?".

4.61/5  rDev +29.1%

This review is going to be quite biased because this was the first brew I've ever had from the cask. Under normal circumstances I probably would never order this beer, but it was being offered at Oldsmar Tap House, a delightful new bar that just opened here. My friend Sean, the guru of beer geekdom, wisely suggested that we should always order any beer that is available from a cask.

I'm so glad I did because this was literally one of the best beers I've ever tasted. The appearance constituted a solid gold color, with a tiny bit of a creamy head. The scent didn't leave much of an impression, it was malty with a slight phenol hint. However, the mouthfeel and flavor were astonishing smooth and refreshing. It was very lightly carbonated with a creamy wheat finish. I detected no bitterness in the flavor at all - which really raised the drinkability.

Although my friends and I were blown away by the tastiness of this beer, I have a feeling my impression of a bottle would be very different. I 'm excited about trying other varieties on cask at Oldsmar Tap House - which I highly recommend if you live in the Tampa Bay Area.

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the arch opponent of the temperance movement in Maine while he was governor, has a great pale ale named in his honor. Pours a nice brown color with a good head. Taste is perfect for the style. Almost like when you first drank sasperilla soda, you know what a pale ale is with this. Good carbonation, the dry, but not sweet taste. This is a winner.

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a deep golden color with a good off white head with fades and leaves a nice lace behind. Wonderful malt and subtle, earthy english type hops are in the nose. Great malt backbone with some nice bittering hops but as in the nose they are much more subtle and earthy. Wonderfully creamy yeat not heavy this brew is very drinkable. I've only tried two brews from The Shipyard so far but they have both been excellent. Highly suggested, just make sure you serve these north of 50° to get the true character of them. Yet another huge thanks to the Bierman for this wonderful bier.

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

This one was made to be poured from a cask. Delicious nose and great overall taste. Balance was excellent. The Shipyard knows how to do Cask beer from a long time ago. I think it was the highlight of the the Cask Featival at the Bulls Head, 13/15 April.

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

I was very impressed by this pale ale. Nice artwork on the 22 oz. bomber. Deep copper color with a stick foamy head. The aroma of mellow spicy hops has just a hint of sweetness to it. The first sip presents a buttery spicy ale with a bold malt flavor. The body is quite smooth ad heavy enhancing the balance of the flavors. The bitterness is immediately apparent and lingers well through the experience. Very nice brew.

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

By far the best Pale Ale I've ever had. It has a great look out of the bottle - amber hue - although not much of a head or lacing. The smell was just superb - not your run-of-the-mill pale ale scent. Mouthfeel was okay, too carbonated for my taste, but speaking of the taste, it was great. Hints of fruitiness to go mix quite well with the bitterness of the ale. Overall, I consider this the best Shipyard offering I've had to date.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Wow, I really like this Ale!

Don’t usually say much about the appearance of the bottle, but for this one I have to as being a history buff of the Civil War and Joshua Chamberlain being on of my favorite characters I could not resist! Has a real nice portrait of the Civil War General.

Ok, OK, back to the beer.

Brew pours to a perfect clear copper color with a very nice off white head that broke down to near perfect lacing through out.

The aromas from this brew are of fruit with light butterscotch and citrus (from the hops?) hints. Over all a real nice smelling brew.

The taste is very nice with malt and fruit flavors that stick around for most of the experience. Also notice the crisp hop taste that makes this a very nice Pale Ale. This is a brew that I am sure I could drink year around but probably more likely when the weather turns warmer through the fall months.

Over all a very nice brew, probably the best I have had, from the Shipyard Brewing Company!

4.26/5  rDev +19.3%

Yet another review from Friday's GEN Sutter Cask Night in Lititz, PA. It is a good thing that Paul is beer savvy or a bunch of guys all sitting around, pen in hand scribbling away, well, that might be disconcerting to a publican.

The pull produced a finger of deep-tan head with decent retention. The nose was mildly sweet with a slight graham cracker-like edge (biscuity). The color was a bright medium- amber. Seeing that kind of clarity in a cask ale was simply amazing to me. The mouthfeel was very creamy. The taste was slightly bitter, but in a most pleasant way that would appeal to even the most casual beer drinker. The finish was dry, bitter, and quenching. It reminded me of the scent released when rubbing fresh hops between one's hands. It's low ABV makes it an excellent candidate for a session beer.

I really miss being up in PORME.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

Dull copper color, maybe light brown depending on the light. I tried for a hard pour and a big head, got a nice foamy 2 inch cloud top that laced the glass nicely. Herbal, hop, nearly medicinal nose, somewhat odd sourness as well. Taste was very balanced, hoppy start, creamy, and very easy going down. Very good pale ale, better than most. A bit of a watery thin finish is the only downside, but this makes for a very drinkable pale ale. Cool name, fitting tribute to a great man. I like the beers that take a historical twist. I bought singles and bombers at the Shipyard brewery. Bottles were $1 and bombers $2, pretty cool.

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a sparkling copper-amber in color with a big somewhat pillowy head that leaves medium lacing in the glass.

The aroma is creamy, yeasty, biscuity and fruity with a cherry and plum type of fruit.

The taste is malty, creamy, nutty, hazelnut with a slightly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy to start but the effervescent carbonation cuts through at the end to tickle the tongue and throat.

This is a really delicious pale ale and I would love to try this on tap in Portland, Maine.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured a light amber like a southern ice tea - small head stayed a long time- even to the end. nice lace. Smells of malt - sweet. Taste of citrus and malt - well balanced - lighter than expected. An excellent well balanced beer A very nice, drinkable beer. I will keep some on hand. I have a hard time finding it in my area, but I will ask some stores to stock it.

Shipyard Chamberlain Pale Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.