Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale | Shipyard Brewing Co.

poor

Ratings: 2,675 |  Reviews: 881
2.82/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz can

Pours a hazy golden, half inch of white head dissipates to a film.

Smells of mild citrus tartness and mildly wheaty malts. Some cinnamon peaks through. No hint of pumpkin.

Tastes of mild citrus and light grassy malts, maybe a hint of dryer papery malt character. Again, no pumpkin.

Lighter body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

All in all, this isn't a bad summery ale. But this is supposed to be a pumpkin ale. Where's the pumpkin? Did they forget to add it to my batch? No evidence in the appearance, aroma, or flavor. While the beer itself is fine, you'd never know it was supposed to be a pumpkin ale. .

2.03/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Held up to the light, it appears pale yellow- not unlike an AAL. At a normal glance, it's orange-ish. No real head, just a thin foam cover. No lacing on the glass at any point.

S: Pumpkin meat. It's not as spicy as I'd like it to be at all. There's also a faint smell of some ambiguous, plastic-like chemical.

T: Pumpkin pie with very mild, faint spice. The faint chemical-like smell also translates to the taste. No taste is very strong, and the beer's very watery.

M: Very thin, light carbonation. Watery.

O: It was OK enough to not be a drainpour (mostly because it's REALLY rare for me to actually pour out a beer), but it's quite lacking on all fronts. I don't think I'll be drinking this again.

3.25/5  rDev +12.5%

2.82/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Comes out golden/yellow straw, like a valley in at harvest time. Excellent clarity and a thin white head with small fizzy bubbles. Little bit of lacing and glass retention. Gets a lot of credit for being horrible all around, but a decent looking beer. Slightly darker and more full looking than an average macro-ale.

Smell is adequate for the style, a bit too sweet for my liking. tough to distinguish, but there are some toasted malts in here; it's just really masked by all of the pumpkin pie spices. Smells more like pumpkin pie with a dab of whipped cream.

Really not a fan of the taste. It at least SLIGHTLY smells like beer, but it doesn't taste like it. Like a lite lager with the same pumpkin pie spices.

Mouthfeel is okay. Light bodied, more of a light and crisp on the mouth for a summer style than fall. Taste only slightly lingers for a few seconds then disappears. Again, a bit too sweet. Good carbonation level though. Reasonably drinkable, just not my thing.

I remember having this on tap years ago and thinking it was ok, but Pumpkin Ales have come so far these days that this is just more of a seasonal crowd pleaser than anything else. Worth trying, I'm sure it's available to almost anyone in the US these days. Was looking for an easy pumpkin beer on my night off and had this in the fridge from some friends bringing it over. Not bad, not good, in-between.

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

1.9/5  rDev -34.3%

Beer pours an extremely pale yellow with thin white head. This tells me two things: 1. The body is incredibly thin. 2. There is zero pumpkin in this beer. There is zero spice in the aroma. You can taste cinnamon, but it's as if someone took a budlight or smirnoff ice (dare I say) and sprinkled some cinnamon in there. Too me, this is barely beer and not what I look for in a pumpkin beer.

2.5/5  rDev -13.5%

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

2.49/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz can into a pint glass. I really hope this is as bad as the horror stories lead me to believe...

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade with bad retention. That combined with nonexistent lacing means this isn't exactly a looker.

S: Let's see. Cinnamon and nutmeg notes? Check. Actual gourdy character? Check. Nothing that makes me want to retch? Uh...check! As a complaint, the pumpkin pie character seems weirdly artificial, like some saccharine pumpkin-flavored candy. So while we're at it...too sweet? Check. I really don't hate the aroma, though; in fact, I actually like it.

T: The flavor is a big step down, and it's not good, but it's not the sheer terror I expected. It starts with a light note of allspice, before turning into some weird pumpkin-flavored candy finish. It's dawning on me - this tastes more like pumpkin-flavored cream soda instead of an actual beer. Like most sodas, it's quite sweet, to the point of being bothersome. Even worse, the sweetness is kind of artificial.

M: Light and fizzy. Just like soda, actually. All the carbonation tries to dry the palate out some, but all that sugary sweetness wins out. This combination really taxes the palate after a while: something so light shouldn't be so hard to imbibe.

O: I can actually see why this appeals to so many casual drinkers. It's pumpkin-y (read: spicy) enough, and not very beer-y, so mission accomplished. Beer geeks, though, needn't bother. I really wanted to hate this a lot more than I do. Still, that only means it's wretchedly forgettable instead of wretchedly awful, and I'm not really sure which is worse.

PS: I couldn't have been the only one surprised to see this pumpkin soda-- oops, I mean beer get tons of high scores from Untappd users.

1.86/5  rDev -35.6%

After pouring into a glass, the beer appears to have a pleasant color and nice foamy head that dissipates to leave a thin white film over the surface. Not a bad start... Then you go to sniff it (or accidentally sniff it while taking a swig) and get a strong whiff of a frat house's bathroom upstairs from a bakery- a sickly vomit odor with a hint of beer, followed by cinnamon and cloves. Not the most appetizing. I found myself hard pressed to continue tasting after that, but continued nonetheless. After steeling myself for a taste as atrocious as the smell, I was pleasantly surprised by the taste- that's not to say it was good, but it wasn't horrible. It is somewhat watery tasting at first, followed by a blast of spices- namely cinnamon and cloves. Not sure I even tasted the pumpkin in there. Definitely not something I would try again, and can't say I recommend it.

Note- I took a taste of a friends who drank his out of the bottle. That is much preferable for this beer as it doesn't open up and release it's rather foul aroma.

3.75/5  rDev +29.8%

2.72/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Very clear medium gold body with a white head that fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: There is a faint smell of pumpkin pie spices. It is very light but sweet smelling and pleasant. I don't pick up any hop aromatics or any scent from the malt.

T: I get cinnamon right off the bat. There isn't a whole lot more. In the aftertaste there is this nice very light doughy flavor, but the flavor is predominantly cinnamon. It finishes very clean, but disappointingly so, because none of the other spices really come through even in the aftertaste.

M: The mouthfeel is far too thin. It's carbonated well enough, but there is just no body to this beer at all. It feels like I'm drinking carbonated cinnamon water.

O: Overall I was very disappointed in the beer. I wouldn't recommend it, even if a person is looking for a pumpkin beer in a pinch. It just doesn't have enough flavor or body.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale from Shipyard Brewing Co.